Ticking during acceleration

That03Tj

Hello all,

Hello, I am new to these forums and to the jeep community and still trying to figure my way around these forums. Anyways, I have a massive headache about a random sound my 2003 Jeep wrangler 4.0 makes. I've owned this vehicle for 3 and half years now and it's been making a rattling sound when I am accelerating. I can mainly hear the sound at the front of my jeep. It happens when I am in gear driving, it doesn't make the sound when idled and in neutral. I had a head gasket issue my first year I got it and it's still making that sound when I accelerate. The Jeep runs and drives great.... just makes a really annoying rattling sound. If anyone knows anything, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. this has been making me so annoyed for the longest time and I would like for it to go away. Thank you!

Last edited:
The 4.0 exhaust manifolds are known to crack, which starts as a ticking sound and over time progresses into an extremely loud exhaust leak sound.

Here are a couple pictures of the original on my '98.

What started out as a crack eventually wrapped around the pipe and a chunk fell out.

P6110010.JPG

P6110011.JPG