Ticking noise help

Tersy

Hey guys and girls. Just looking for some advice, i bought a 05 TJ with the 4.0 and i am getting a constant ticking noise from inside the cabin. This is what i have found so far.

Constant noise but gets worse as the car heats up.

More noticeable from inside the cabin, loudest between 1500 to 2000 rpm.

The noise sounds like it ie coming from the fuel rail, i can hear it with a screwdriver. However if i turn the car off and roll down a hill with the car in gear it still makes the noise.

Makes the noise while the clutch is in so it can't be the transmission.

I have checked the cam position sensor.

I am going to take the rocker cover off and check the lifters however it does not sound like there is any noise coming from there.

I have also given the car a fuel service. Used an oil flush, filled it up with 10w 40 synthetic.

Any tips or ideas?

It's either the lifters (a common issue) or an exhaust leak (typically found in the exhaust manifold).

These are both very common issues on the 4.0.

Reactions: Daryl
Not to freak you out. But I had a “ ticking” as well. Number 2 piston was missing half it’s skirt.

dd0efa8830b598d100bf9209f0165565.jpg

7be575f925e68a31becce3ac10bc6f4e.jpg

Wait, you're saying it still makes the ticking noise when the engine is off, rolling downhill? So, presumably, the ignition is off when this is happening. Front driveshaft u-joint?

I hope its just lifters or an exhaust leak! it does seem to be a common problem. Can you still hear ticking from an exhaust leak from engine breaking though? as there is no exhaust gasses but i guess there would still be some air moving through the exhaust.

@TJ_2000 I'm hoping its not that!, i don't think it is as i think you would hear more of a knocking sound (metal on metal) that would be pretty audible from inside the engine bay? Also did you have any performance issues?

@bromel yes the ignition is off, its a manual so i've rolled down a big hill in gear and let it engine break, still makes the ticking noise, also when the car is stationary and you rev it with either the clutch in or in natural it still does it. So i don't think it drive line

I wonder if it's the OPDA starting to act up. That might still make a noise when the engine is off but rolling downhill in gear. Does the noise change with RPMs? Does the noise go away with the engine off and the Jeep in neutral rolling downhill?

I'd pull the belt before you pull the cover. Just run it for a second to be sure it isn't any of the drive accessories. I might also pull the plugs and see if they look okay before I started any major work. I think testing it without spark coasting means it isn't pistons, rods, or exhaust related. The air pumping through the engine changes allot when you have spark, you would have heard a big change.

The common sticky lifter noise is almost always intermittent. It happens when the engine is cold and then one day doesn't go away after the engine warms up. Doesn't sound like your problem. You still could have a broken or collapsed lifter but if it is always there it probably is not just sticking.

@bromel have pulled the OPDA it looks in good condition. The noise does get louder up to about 1500 to 2000 rpm and then kinda goes away but that could be because the engine is really loud then. Noise doesnt go away when rolling down a hill.

@pagrey thanks for the suggestion i will give the drive belt a try.

I pulled the spark plugs out, they werent overly dirty, looked pretty normaly but i replaced them anyway.

When i tested it without spark (coasting) the noise is still there and exactly the same.

Surely a collaped lifter would be a really loud sound? And remain loud at idle and when the engine is cold? Ive never heard one before.

Also my injectors are super noisy, like you can hear a ticking noise from them, however if it was the injectors then you should not be able to hear them when the engine is off coasting down a hill

Your doing an in frame re-build? how are you going to take care of the beat up cylinder wall? A piston that looks like that, your going to need a bore job?

Cylinder wall is untouched. No damage, no scratches. Nothing. We were all shocked to see that.

Reactions: Hook_62