Tie downs for towing chains vs straps

If you know of another rigging company I should be looking into I’m all ears for sure. I’ve found plenty of stuff online when searching with prices all over the board for the stuff. I just can’t tell if one is better than the other on all these companies quality wise. I only know the MAC’s stuff from online videos as well as a friend that bought some. I do not plan to weld on mounts to my axles. It will be axle straps unless over the tire or tire lasso style is better and safer I’m open to new ways of tie down. I’ve always used chains as I mostly move tractors or implements and that what I own.
I was going to do the tire nets from Macs. When talking with them anytime you change tires they want you to get a new set, they are very specific.

They also couldn’t get them to me in time for the trip I was going on so I went the traditional route. I didn’t have the time to get the track installed for them either.

If you know of another rigging company I should be looking into I’m all ears for sure. I’ve found plenty of stuff online when searching with prices all over the board for the stuff. I just can’t tell if one is better than the other on all these companies quality wise. I only know the MAC’s stuff from online videos as well as a friend that bought some. I do not plan to weld on mounts to my axles. It will be axle straps unless over the tire or tire lasso style is better and safer I’m open to new ways of tie down. I’ve always used chains as I mostly move tractors or implements and that what I own.
The biggest problem every Jeep owner has is picking a restraint philosophy and then picking parts based on that. I watched a guy strap down his rig to a PJ trailer a few weeks ago. He literally raised each side of the trailer at the front by 2" because he had them so tight. I watched one side go up, then the other as he tightened down the front after the rears were snugged down. That is an astounding amount of force trying to pull the two axles away from each other and then hitting bumps on the road bounces the suspension and that is not going to do good things for the joints, springs, or other suspension bits. I told him, yep, I see why we need to keep adjusting your coil over stop nuts down to compensate for "sagged" springs.

So, being one who has known of this little bit on not goodness for many years, I don't do that. I have a bulkhead I pull the front tires up against and then I strap over the top of the tire with a 3" winch style strap down to a deck mounted tie down point. The rears get the same treatment but not super tight and there are sides that stabilize the tires to keep them from moving too far laterally. The suspension can move somewhat but not enough to ever lose a strap.

I built the tie downs and points around how I believe works well for what I do that will keep the rig where I want it with the least amount of damage to the suspension.

Reactions: Rescue6
I have long thought that I’m trying to pull the axles out from under the Jeep tying it down the way I do. I have been intrigued by the tire straps but never used them. I thought about installing track and using them though as it seems like it would be much less stress on the suspension joints. Are the 3” straps you use strait over the tire or a basket or halo type set up? As far as a bulkhead I could certainly build a removable one that could pin into the stake pockets From one side to the other for when towing my Jeep pretty easily to take care of the front. I’d have to figure out the lateral but I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard.

I wouldn't cross your straps like that... What happens if one strap fails? And if they won't fail, than why not just use one big strap?
I learned to tie down from Ghostbusters...

1607965971140.png

The biggest problem every Jeep owner has is picking a restraint philosophy and then picking parts based on that. I watched a guy strap down his rig to a PJ trailer a few weeks ago. He literally raised each side of the trailer at the front by 2" because he had them so tight. I watched one side go up, then the other as he tightened down the front after the rears were snugged down. That is an astounding amount of force trying to pull the two axles away from each other and then hitting bumps on the road bounces the suspension and that is not going to do good things for the joints, springs, or other suspension bits. I told him, yep, I see why we need to keep adjusting your coil over stop nuts down to compensate for "sagged" springs.

So, being one who has known of this little bit on not goodness for many years, I don't do that. I have a bulkhead I pull the front tires up against and then I strap over the top of the tire with a 3" winch style strap down to a deck mounted tie down point. The rears get the same treatment but not super tight and there are sides that stabilize the tires to keep them from moving too far laterally. The suspension can move somewhat but not enough to ever lose a strap.

I built the tie downs and points around how I believe works well for what I do that will keep the rig where I want it with the least amount of damage to the suspension.
What are your thoughts on riding air bumps for 500 miles round trip to get my exhaust done? I don't want to be pulling springs in their parking lot if I don't have to.

I have long thought that I’m trying to pull the axles out from under the Jeep tying it down the way I do. I have been intrigued by the tire straps but never used them. I thought about installing track and using them though as it seems like it would be much less stress on the suspension joints. Are the 3” straps you use strait over the tire or a basket or halo type set up? As far as a bulkhead I could certainly build a removable one that could pin into the stake pockets From one side to the other for when towing my Jeep pretty easily to take care of the front. I’d have to figure out the lateral but I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard.
Just straight over the tire and down to a frame mounted tie down D ring right behind the tire. I found wrench operated versions at some trucking supply. They are the strap winches that go on the sides of semi-trailers. The bulkhead hits the center of the tire height-wise.

1607969965445.png

Off the top of my head no, there some folks in my clubs running them and I know they spent less than I did. I think bulldog is one of them.

With the quality of the strap, ratchet, bag, and strap wraps, I'm happy with what I got for the money I spent on the macs but I've also burned myself ending up with inferior products trying to save money so these days I usually spend more money for the piece of mind. Do the research and you can find a good product at a reasonable price.

That's a good price on the trailer though! My 2020 suretrac cost me 4500 before the great state of ct taxes and that was the cheapest I could find here and around CT.

I have been using these for about 5 years. they cinch down good, no climbing under the Jeep. Repo guys and car haulers use them. Simple D ring. I don't have any pics of them on the TJ.

EA61BE35-ABF6-4C27-B28F-22D716EECE63_zpstra75pdf.jpg

IMG_3985_zpsszc7u8y8.jpg

My belief is to keep the pulls short. cross tying can loosen if one breaks or for whatever reason lets go. With single sided pulls,they individual strap will stay tight. JMHO

Thanks for all the discussion and feedback. After looking quite a bit I Bit the bullet and bought the Macs kit in blue since it should perfectly match my seats and roll bar anyway and I got the chain extensions in case I want to use them in stake pockets ever. I also purchased two of the low profile lashing winches that I will mount to the frame up front and two extra 2” running ends of webbing with the twisted snap hooks for use with the lashing winches and a set of 4 double stud track sections with ring anchors and backing plates. For additional tie down locations. I am also going to build a removable bulkhead for the front tires to rest against that will go from side to side across the trailer and pin into some stake pockets. I thought that was a great idea.

This one was $3800 with the upgrades I added. It’s a 20’ so 18’deck and 2’ dovetail rated for 10400#. I got brakes on both axles, a total of 8 d rings welded on and another 4 movable d-ring mounts that go into stake pockets, rub rails, rear stabilizer jacks for loading, rear pull out ramps, removable fenders, and a spare tire and mount and a winch mount. Then I added a front storage box when I got it home. I drove to TX to pick it up and saved myself about 1500 over what they wanted for the same trailer here in CO. Plus I was going to have to wait 8 weeks for them to get one. That’s why it’s hooked to the Jeep in the picture. Much better mileage than my truck. I averaged 21mpg pulling that empty trailer with the Grand Cherokee from Amarillo to Colorado Springs.
I was really hoping to see a pic of you pulling your Jeep with that Grand Cherokee! :cool:

I was really hoping to see a pic of you pulling your Jeep with that Grand Cherokee! :cool:
It would do it. However it would be right at the max towing capacity. It has a brake control on it and has the Air ride suspension so it self levels when a trailer is added and the tongue weight changes. But I’ll stick to pulling it with my truck or suburban

Reactions: SvtLdr