Tie Rod End Troubles

Winks42

TJ Enthusiast
Replacing my inner TRE because how when i did a dry steering test it had a bunch of play. Well the problem is whenever I tried to unscrew the castle nut the stud turned with it. I have tried to put vise grips on the stud and try to use a wrench but nothing seems to work. I tried drilling through the stud but it is taking too long and it didn’t go far.

I was able to get the rubber boot off and might be able to get a jigsaw in there to cut it off but I ran out of sunlight.

I just wanna see if anyone else has any other ideas, I will probably pick up a pickle fork in the morning and maybe a torch

thanks guys

Replacing my inner TRE because how when i did a dry steering test it had a bunch of play. Well the problem is whenever I tried to unscrew the castle nut the stud turned with it. I have tried to put vise grips on the stud and try to use a wrench but nothing seems to work. I tried drilling through the stud but it is taking too long and it didn’t go far.

I was able to get the rubber boot off and might be able to get a jigsaw in there to cut it off but I ran out of sunlight.

I just wanna see if anyone else has any other ideas, I will probably pick up a pickle fork in the morning and maybe a torch

thanks guys
Stop being silly and use a jack to force the pin deeper into the taper. That will lock it down so you can zip off the nut.

Reactions: Earl B and matkal
Stop being silly and use a jack to force the pin deeper into the taper. That will lock it down so you can zip off the nut.
I jacked it up to the point that the tires are starting to come up and It is considerably tighter but I cant get it with a wrench. Would an impact drill be worth it?

Well went to Ace to pickup a impact but saw that drill bits were cheaper, $200 impact or $6 drill bit? Well impact would have been a better investment but the drill bit did its job.

63667439-7143-48A5-85F5-4EE9D63D5EFB.jpeg

Glad you got it out...

We use this...for pesky TRE's at times...among other things.
4.5 foot pry bar
View attachment 258767
Yea I know we had one somewhere but I couldn’t find it. But one more thing, The steering feels a lot stiffer but the steering wheel is off center, its always been off center but I guess now more noticeable with fixing the tre. Can I just adjust that at the drag links adjustment sleeve? Just jack the front up, lossen the bolts and move it?

Yea I know we had one somewhere but I couldn’t find it. But one more thing, The steering feels a lot stiffer but the steering wheel is off center, its always been off center but I guess now more noticeable with fixing the tre. Can I just adjust that at the drag links adjustment sleeve? Just jack the front up, lossen the bolts and move it?
No jack

Loosen your adjusting sleeve clamps...and turn your adjusting sleeve until you're center.
Re-clamp...go wheeling.
Thats it.