Time for Jeep to wake up possibly

I'm glad to see some good competition coming after the Wrangler. I don't know that the Bronco will really appeal to me much, ultimately, but it will be good to see what it does for the industry and how it influences future Wrangler models.

Reactions: bedhed and Starrs
I might consider it competition for the new soccer mom wranglers, but that's about where the competition ends. The short arm front independent suspension will drastically limit it's ability to truly compete with a solid axle. I'll give credit where it's due, it will ride a LOT smoother over bumpy terrain and could hypothetically have the ecoboost v6 so power might be an advantage there.

Reactions: Starrs and Chris
I might consider it competition for the new soccer mom wranglers, but that's about where the competition ends. The short arm front independent suspension will drastically limit it's ability to truly compete with a solid axle. I'll give credit where it's due, it will ride a LOT smoother over bumpy terrain and could hypothetically have the ecoboost v6 so power might be an advantage there.
People sure do like soccer mom Wranglers

I figure all the IFS 4x4s will run nearly all of the trails people know about. I figure 90% of the trails available to the public can be done in a Bronco, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, etc...

Or not. Idk

I figure all the IFS 4x4s will run nearly all of the trails people know about. I figure 90% of the trails available to the public can be done in a Bronco, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, etc...

Or not. Idk
Locked up, short arm IFS vehicles do alright, they just have very limited articulation. It does however make for a LOT of front tire air time photo ops... 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Sancho
Unfortunately that's who the powers that be at Jeep are pandering to. I get it, doesn't mean I particularly like it. Jeep used to be synonymous with utility and capability and now it's more about creature comforts, and on-road safety.
Yea, that damn safety factor just sucks the fun right out of a jeep doesn't it! That's why I still have my TJ and my Chopper. Nothing like a thrilling death ride to get the blood flowing.

Yea, that damn safety factor just sucks the fun right out of a jeep doesn't it! That's why I still have my TJ and my Chopper. Nothing like a thrilling death ride to get the blood flowing.
You know it!! Traction control, collision avoidance...pfffft!! When I want to spin some tire, damn it I want to either smell rubber or see rooster tails!!! and by god if I want to ram into that HUGE snow berm I don't want my collision avoidance going into panic mode and putting me through the windshield!!! 🤣 🤣

If....if ford wants to stick it to jeep they will offer the raptor version in a stick 2 door, and will have the twin turbo v6 under the hood. Will force jeeps hand by not offering the diesel in the 2 door. Fun times ahead! I for one can’t wait to watch this shit go down lol

My thoughts:
  • IFS = Ford's answer to making sure they don't have to take calls about death wobble :sneaky:
  • Interesting vehicle. Looks like it has good potential and could look really nice with slightly oversized tires. Will it live up to it's following and expectations? It's a 1.0 product, so we'll have to see how it does...
  • If the whole top comes off, it will certainly be a worthy competitor of the Wrangler for some buyers, just not a competitor for buyers interested in more serious off-roading.
  • The Wrangler image, design (simple), and aftermarket is miles ahead. But, sometimes a new star is born when nobody expects it. Being second to market can be tough, even if the product is good. Will be very interesting to see how this goes down, no doubt.
  • Will be interesting to see what options are actually offered (2 door? full tops or half tops? soft or hard tops? automatic tops?). If they are going for the soccer mom and executive audience to take buyers away from the JLU, an affordable powered automatic top would be huge.
  • If the base price is going to be ~$30k like I hear folks speculating, then you won't see many on dealer lot's for less than 40k. The Ranger's base price sounded good to me when I heard it (~25k), but the cheapest ones I see on lots around here are ~35k. Will be interesting if they try to keep prices generally lower or whether they do offer some high end models.
  • I won't be surprised if they just offer the 2.3 Ecoboost in all models. A 2.3L Ecobost could be interesting to have when aftermarket tuning comes into play. For some reason, I can't see a twin turbo Ecoboost in this model, but I could see this getting something a little more tame and sensible, like a smaller twin turbo diesel the Ranger Raptor in Europe is fitted with.

Reactions: reddvltj
My thoughts:
  • IFS = Ford's answer to making sure they don't have to take calls about death wobble :sneaky:
  • Interesting vehicle. Looks like it has good potential and could look really nice with slightly oversized tires. Will it live up to it's following and expectations? It's a 1.0 product, so we'll have to see how it does...
  • If the whole top comes off, it will certainly be a worthy competitor of the Wrangler for some buyers, just not a competitor for buyers interested in more serious off-roading.
  • The Wrangler image, design (simple), and aftermarket is miles ahead. But, sometimes a new star is born when nobody expects it. Being second to market can be tough, even if the product is good. Will be very interesting to see how this goes down, no doubt.
  • Will be interesting to see what options are actually offered (2 door? full tops or half tops? soft or hard tops? automatic tops?). If they are going for the soccer mom and executive audience to take buyers away from the JLU, an affordable powered automatic top would be huge.
  • If the base price is going to be ~$30k like I hear folks speculating, then you won't see many on dealer lot's for less than 40k. The Ranger's base price sounded good to me when I heard it (~25k), but the cheapest ones I see on lots around here are ~35k. Will be interesting if they try to keep prices generally lower or whether they do offer some high end models.
  • I won't be surprised if they just offer the 2.3 Ecoboost in all models. A 2.3L Ecobost could be interesting to have when aftermarket tuning comes into play. For some reason, I can't see a twin turbo Ecoboost in this model, but I could see this getting something a little more tame and sensible, like a smaller twin turbo diesel the Ranger Raptor in Europe is fitted with.
The consensus seems to be the raptor version may get the 2.7L with the others getting the 2.3L.

And everyone wonders why Jeep has been holding out on the factory V8....Guess they've had some cards up their sleeves for a reason.

Bottom line, no manufacture is going to out do the Wrangler.

And everyone wonders why Jeep has been holding out on the factory V8....Guess they've had some cards up their sleeves for a reason.

Bottom line, no manufacture is going to out do the Wrangler.
I heard that crash tests will keep a V8 out of the wrangler, unless you want them to get bigger