Time for Jeep to wake up possibly

I figure all the IFS 4x4s will run nearly all of the trails people know about. I figure 90% of the trails available to the public can be done in a Bronco, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, etc...

Or not. Idk
Didn't work out so good for the Toyota Cruisers. Looked like a turtle until it tipped over. When they first came out we would actually stop and watch them on the blk diamond trails. The best show in town. Funny don't see them anymore....anywhere. Just Sayin.

Reactions: reddvltj
Didn't work out so good for the Toyota Cruisers. Looked like a turtle until it tipped over. When they first came out we would actually stop and watch them on the blk diamond trails. The best show in town. Funny don't see them anymore....anywhere. Just Sayin.

I guess any trail that requires a high degree of articulation (in my world: Truckhaven hills) would be tough for amy IFS.

But.. SoCal, you have tons of open desert. Hills, and dunes.. where an IFS can excel at.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 83
  • racing-superstition-mountains.jpg
    racing-superstition-mountains.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 80

I guess any trail that requires a high degree of articulation (in my world: Truckhaven hills) would be tough for amy IFS.

But.. SoCal, you have tons of open desert. Hills, and dunes.. where an IFS can excel at.

Attachments

• racing-superstition-mountains-1.jpg
    racing-superstition-mountains-1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 81

t1.jpg

racing-superstition-mountains-1.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed it's all you need if your gonna run desert and light hills. The first time I saw one it was mixed in with some built jeeps , since I grew up in an FJ40 I was interested to see how it did. The first thing it did was tear off the rear bumper , over the next few yrs clubs popped up and we got to see them much more often. Most were nicely built but because we were doing things that required heavy articulation I was able to see heavily built toys in action they always looked so stiff , lifting tires and searching for traction. Most ppl don't need a RK to enjoy their weekends.

Maybe some pessimism coming out with this, but I'm having a hard time believing it would have a fully removable top. Very minimal is what I'm picturing. If there does happen to be more excitement in store with the top, then something elsewhere will be lacking to compensate.

As I was watching through the video, it had me with the same feeling that I get when I see a badass Jeep Wrangler concept. Like, it's all exciting until profit margins and safety requirements get involved.

Hopefully they do slap all of those goodies on though. It would be interesting to see some heavy competition for Fiat Chrysler.

Just saying "Fiat Chrysler" doesn't feel right.😩

I heard that crash tests will keep a V8 out of the wrangler, unless you want them to get bigger
There has to be a solution for this that the engineers can design around while still maintaining the aesthetics and body exterior measurements.

The small first gen Chevy Colorado was offered in a V8. The early Dakota was small and had a 5.9L V8 option.

There has to be a solution for this that the engineers can design around while still maintaining the aesthetics and body exterior measurements.

The small first gen Chevy Colorado was offered in a V8. The early Dakota was small and had a 5.9L V8 option.
I’d think a 300+ HP V6 would be the likely solution

Meh, until it is actually released everything is speculation to me. I really like every generation Broncos, especially the first gen, but it seems Ford is more going to the desert/speed type crowd with that suspension. Fine by me, they nailed the Raptor so they know what they are doing for that terrain. It will “compete” with the Wrangler and make Jeep take notice and adjust a bit but I think Jeep will be fine.

Reactions: Starrs
I’d think a 300+ HP V6 would be the likely solution
Agreed, that would be a more likely solution when it comes to cost, safety etc. The normally aspirated Pentastar 3.6 liter V6 engine already pumps out 285 HP in the JK and JL, and ~300 HP on some other platforms. After a couple early issues were ironed out, it has proven to be a reliable engine, now going on 10 million produced. Honestly, it is probably one of the most reliable and proven V6's out there to date. It has been on Ward's best engines list several times. Seems like, if they wanted, they could easily make a performance variant of the Pentastar with either (1) a light duty supercharger that helps with low end grunt -OR- (2) a higher displacement V6 variant (a 4.0L perhaps?!) with slightly beefier internals and slightly higher compression. Either way, nearly identical engine and only slightly more weight, plus the same ECU with slightly different tuning.

Reactions: Apparition

In the end, I would really prefer a V8 as well. I've seen them with HEMI's and they are unbelievable!

Once again. Damned safety regs sucking the fun out of things. 5.7 hemi with a nitrous kit shoved in a Wrangler 2 door. Yep, thrill of the death ride!
I’ve been watching YouTube videos of built rigs such as ones with hellcat engines. I have to say I’ve not been impressed.

It may be more to do with the drivers but they seem to think the key to crawling over stuff is tire smoke and noise.

I would love more power for on ramps though.

I’ve been watching YouTube videos of built rigs such as ones with hellcat engines. I have to say I’ve not been impressed.

It may be more to do with the drivers but they seem to think the key to crawling over stuff is tire smoke and noise.

I would love more power for on ramps though.
Yea, you know Daisy's CJ could hang right with the General Lee on the ramps! Oh, you mean boring old highway ramps don't you?

Reactions: Apparition
Is the 2.7 a proven engine? It’s hard to jump on the Ford bandwagon with so many terrible engines they’ve produced in the past.

Is the 2.7 a proven engine? It’s hard to jump on the Ford bandwagon with so many terrible engines they’ve produced in the past.
Well, Ford has probably sold more of them than Jeep sold TJ’s so if you haven’t heard anything about it then it’s probably not a problem.

Well, Ford has probably sold more of them than Jeep sold TJ’s so if you haven’t heard anything about it then it’s probably not a problem.
not sure about that.
They’ve sold many 3.5 ecoboost but the latest 2.7 has changes. Most notably is the duel injectors. Wonder why they changed it?

not sure about that.
They’ve sold many 3.5 ecoboost but the latest 2.7 has changes. Most notably is the duel injectors. Wonder why they changed it?
Improvement is my guess. Jeep should try it.

Wish my LJ was as quick as my 3.5 EcoBoost.