Tipping has gone stupid

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
My local plumbing company automatically charged me extra to put their employee through school, then major fast food chains started asking me to tip their employees, next I had to go through multiple steps to opt out of tipping on credit card scanners, and now I'm also supposed to tip for online purchases?!!! Just pay your employees a fair wage and stop making it my problem by turning them into the new version of beggars on the street.

2024-03-20_16-19-37.png

Fuck tipping. After living in a country where they don't do it I can say I'm 100% against it. And most people get a living wage. They just want more money for doing fuck all. If you work at McDs, you probably shouldn't have the newest iPhone and an Xbox. Get an actual career and further yourself, or be happy with ramen.

If I take the family out to a restaurant and spend $100 on food. The waitress takes my order, brings me the food, refills some drinks and handles getting the bill paid. This meal takes an hour. I’ve probably seen this person for less than 10 minutes of that hour.

Did they do enough work to make $20/hr on top of their wages and on top of the handful of other tables tips for that same hour?

I think not

If I take the family out to a restaurant and spend $100 on food. The waitress takes my order, brings me the food, refills some drinks and handles getting the bill paid. This meal takes an hour. I’ve probably seen this person for less than 10 minutes of that hour.

Did they do enough work to make $20/hr on top of their wages and on top of the handful of other tables tips for that same hour?

I think not
Sounds like the opposite side of the story of a highschool buddy who was telling me recently how nobody is hiring him after applying to hundreds of jobs. I inquired deeper since there's many businesses with help wanted signs. Turns out nobody is willing to pay him "what he's worth". 🤷‍♂️ At least for him it turns out it's better to collect gov payouts when you have 5 kids than it is to get "paid less than you're worth". Not having a monetizable skill (of really any kind) probably doesn't help.

In that specific example, our society (for whatever reason) has determined it's okay to pay servers as little as $2.15 an hour as long as their tips add up to making over the minimum wage. But most servers do NOT make $2.15 an hour. They make at least the standard minimum wage.

We in the States got tipping from Europe. It was a fancy rich person thing did on occasion. We started doing it here to try and feel more fancy. Then the restaurant industry decided they could profit from it, institutionalized it, and lobbied to make us the law of the land. Then rona happened and people felt like they were doing a good thing helping to keep restaurants in business and servers from starving. Now we have this big giant shit storm of virtue signaling via tipping.

Would we pay more for many things if tipping was killed and establishments had to pay more to keep employees? Yep. Am I okay with that? Fuck yes.

Somebody should use the fact that they pay their servers well and no tips are accepted as a selling point. They would get my business.

Would we pay more for many things if tipping was killed and establishments had to pay more to keep employees? Yep. Am I okay with that? Fuck yes.

Somebody should use the fact that they pay their servers well and no tips are accepted as a selling point. They would get my business.

Except they'll pull the same thing everyone else is doing right now: "Due to increased prices from our suppliers we are increasing our prices even more than they are so we can increase our profits without you claiming we are." Except they'll raise the prices more than the increase to the servers and pocket the difference but the PR story will be how they're paying everyone fair wages. #America

I think not

Eh, my first job ever was as a restaurant server. If the service was even halfway decent, it took a fair amount of effort to make it happen along with the other 5 tables they were probably taking care of. The kind of down time many of us enjoy in a desk job doesn't exist so it's basically nonstop and calls for higher compensation on an hourly basis considering they're often expending as much energy in a 4 hour shift as most people do in an 8 hour workday, with a smile on their face. They are exempt from minimum wage laws so pay by the restaurant is usually about $3 an hour which in my view is basically just an agreement between them and the establishment just to show up, and I'm the one paying them to take care of the logistics that I can sit and enjoy my meal.

I have zero problem tipping real restaurant wait staff. I refuse to tip a fast food cashier that has zero skills and did nothing but take my money and most likely mess up my order.

Last edited:

I think not

In NC a waitress and/or bar tender is currently paid something like $2.13/hr + tips, so they live on tips. If their hourly + tips doesn't add up to minimum wage, then the restaurant is required to make up the difference. Don't get me wrong, they can make above min, but that's not guaranteed and really based on the individual and customers. Also, if someone skips out on the bill, that's typically out of the waitress/bar tenders pocket.

Outside of that, I'm typically not tipping unless someone goes way out of the way for me.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Eh, my first job ever was as a restaurant server. If the service was even halfway decent, it took a fair amount of effort to make it happen along with the other 5 tables they were probably taking care of. The kind of down time many of us enjoy in a desk job doesn't exist so it's basically nonstop and calls for higher compensation on an hourly basis considering they're often expending as much energy in a 4 hour shift as most people do in an 8 hour workday, with a smile on their face. They are exempt from minimum wage laws so pay by the restaurant is usually about $3 an hour which in my view is basically just an agreement between them and the establishment just to show up, and I'm the one paying them to take care of the logistics that I can sit and enjoy my meal.

I have zero problem tipping real restaurant wait staff. I refuse to tip a fast food cashier that has zero skills and did nothing but take my money and most likely mess up my order.

How much should wait staff get an hour?

How about where I live?

image-12-1379x1536.png

Here’s how it breaks down near me

1710985583846.png

• Wow
Reactions: BlueC
In that specific example, our society (for whatever reason) has determined it's okay to pay servers as little as $2.15 an hour as long as their tips add up to making over the minimum wage. But most servers do NOT make $2.15 an hour. They make at least the standard minimum wage.

We in the States got tipping from Europe. It was a fancy rich person thing did on occasion. We started doing it here to try and feel more fancy. Then the restaurant industry decided they could profit from it, institutionalized it, and lobbied to make us the law of the land. Then rona happened and people felt like they were doing a good thing helping to keep restaurants in business and servers from starving. Now we have this big giant shit storm of virtue signaling via tipping.

I can’t remember where I was but the restaurant did exactly that, no tip line on the receipt and it said something like no tipping needed because of how they pay their employees.

Doesn’t mean you can’t leave cash for exceptional service though.

How much should wait staff get an hour?

How about where I live?

View attachment 511169

Here’s how it breaks down near me

View attachment 511168

I think a good restaurant server deserves to make a good bit more than the barely-sentient troll behind the counter at Taco Bell.

Ultimately whether they extra pay comes as a higher hourly rate from the restaurant or as tips isn't gonna matter, because if the restaurant pays it they'll just pass it on to me as higher prices, and then i'll be paying sales tax on top.

I'd rather pay the server directly because it directly incentivizes good work, and if they happen to leave that income unreported to the Treasury, then we've both avoided some taxes and that's a win.