Tipping on to-go orders: What's the consensus?

Hmmmm, I always tip at least 20% regardless if it’s eat in or takeout. Most of the women in my family have worked as a waitress at one point or another as teenagers or in college. In Pennsylvania waitresses make around $2.25 an hour plus tips. That was seven years ago so who knows now... not all are making minimum wage. We don’t eat out that often so when we do I tip well. I remember back to the PA days and imagine this is someone’s wife, girlfriend, or daughter on their journey so I tip more in gratitude for what people have done for the women in my family. Not sure if it’s right or wrong. I’m just an old school 42 and my dad would still kick my ass if I didn’t 😁

I tip $5 on to go pre-COVID & $10 since. Usually the waitstaff or bartenders making sub minimum wage are packing the food. I don’t use delivery apps at all. They charge 30% to the restaurant which is a low profit margin business to begin with.
I tend to frequent the same 10 local restaurants and I like to have a good rapport with them. They smile when I come in and look forward to my business.
I like to have a guy for everything, if you know what I mean.

Link

There are more opportunities to tip for a wider range of services than ever before.

Between the high cost of living and uncertain economy, cash-strapped consumers are starting to tip less.

Two-thirds of Americans have a negative view about tipping, according to Bankrate, particularly when it comes to contactless and digital payment prompts with pre-determined options.

[Video - 12:13]

From self-service fast-food restaurant kiosks to smartphone delivery apps, there are more opportunities to tip for a wider range of services than ever before.

But between the high cost of living and uncertain economy, cash-strapped consumers are starting to tip less — and resent tipping prompts even more.

Fewer consumers now say they “always” tip when dining out compared with last year, according to a new report by Bankrate, or for other services, such as ride-shares, haircuts, food delivery, housekeeping and home repairs.

“Inflation and general economic unease seem to be making Americans stingier with their tipping habits, yet we’re confronted with more invitations to tip than ever,” said Ted Rossman, Bankrate’s senior industry analyst.

Many feel the pressure to tip has increased over the last year, NerdWallet’s consumer budgeting report also found.

However, two-thirds of Americans have a negative view about tipping, according to Bankrate, particularly when it comes to contactless and digital payment prompts with pre-determined options that can range between 15% and 35% for each transaction.

[Video - 3:49]

“Now you have to go out of your way to not tip and that’s what a lot of people resent,” Rossman said.

Tipping 20% at a sit-down restaurant is still the standard, etiquette experts say. But there’s less consensus about gratuity for a carryout coffee or other transactions that didn’t involve a tip at all in the past.

While tipping at full-service restaurants has held steady, tips at quick-service restaurants by guests fell to a five-year low of 16.7% in the first quarter of 2023, according to Toast
’s most recent restaurant trends report.

1_JPG-2844495.jpg

“Part of it is tip fatigue,” said Eric Plam, founder and CEO of San Francisco-based startup Uptip, which aims to facilitate cashless tipping.

“During Covid, everyone was shell shocked and feeling generous,” Plam said.

“The problem is that it reached a new standard that we all couldn’t really live with,” he added, particularly when it comes to tipping prompts at a wider range of establishments, a trend also referred to as “tip creep.”

“Now we are inventing new scenarios where tipping should occur.”

Some workers rely on tips, some don’t

[Video - 3:09]

Yet, since transactions are increasingly cashless, having a method to tip workers in the service industry earning minimum or less than minimum wage is critical, Plam added.

In fact, the average wage for fast-food and counter workers is $14.34 an hour for full-time staff and $12.14 for part-time employees, including tips, according to the most recent data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“People should know that the livelihood of that person is largely based on how much tipping happens,” Plam said.

In other cases where workers don’t rely on gratuity for income, “we, as consumers, should use our own judgment.”

That doesn’t mean consumers need to necessarily tip less, Plam added, but “think about whether that person improved your experience.”

“It’s time to take a stand,” he said.
There are only two things more beautiful than a good

I only tip delivery drivers or wait staff at a sit-down. Everyone else can stuff it, I agree that this tipping is getting ridiculous. I order online to pick up an order at Taco Bell and the pin pad prompts for a tip. Seriously?? What did this person do to deserve a tip?

How about we stop this tipping nonsense and force the food service industry to pay their workers a decent wage? I'll gladly take the price increase in dishes - they're just incorporating my tip into the price anyway so we're not going to be paying that much more anyway.

Tips should be for superior service, not expected so a worker can pay rent.

I don't really eat out. Maybe 4 times a year. When I do, I'm not impressed with the food.

I can buy the most expensive cuts of meat, grill them, toss some vegetables on with them, potatoes in the microwave, and buy a decent bottle of bourbon. Much better food and taste (especially when I get the vegatables out of the garden). Costs less too.

Then have leftovers.

I can cook everything on the grill Sunday night and save it for the week.

I take lunch to work.

Pizza is about the only takeout I do. But not often either. It's easier to buy premade pizza from HyVee and premade meals from Costco if I want quick. Their $5 rotisserie chickens are like little turkeys.

A lot of the servers expect tips but suck. Even for things like takeout, you order online, then have to check the order to make sure it's correct. If I use an app, pay online, drive to get it, and check my order for accuracy, then they shouldn't expect much for a tip.

I don't buy expensive coffee so I don't even go in those stores.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
sounds like I'm of about the same opinion of everybody else.

If someone has spent the last half hour delivering my orders to the cooks, filling my glass, bringing my food, clearing my table, etc then yes, I absolutely feel inclined to tip them and I don't feel it's worth making a stink that the restaurant should pay them better - I can look at it as they're working for me, the restaurant provides the materials and I'm paying separately for the labor. But I'm getting service in exchange for my pay, and 20% is my baseline with +/-5% for exceptionality in either direction, with a $5 minimum (I'm not gonna give somebody 3 quarters for a $5 drink).

But I'm NOT going to tip for so little service that that's not even an opportunity to display anything exceptional. Why would you be entitled to an extra $5 for taking 45 seconds to swipe my card, bag my food and hand it to me?

Reactions: Zorba
I think it's insane that people tip for drive-through coffee.
No tip for fast food or any other carry-out.
No tip for pumping gas.
Small tip for buffets.
Tip for delivery.
I tip for haircuts too.

I tip a little for take-out, usually 5 bucks at the pizza place (not dominos or skeezers...I get pizza from an actual restaurant) or the Asian Food place I frequent. I very, very rarely have delivery service, but if I do, those guys get a tip too. When I had hair, my barber got a tip. Drivers generally get a tip. Hotel bellhops (if I let them carry my luggage) get a tip. I don't mind paying people to help me, when I need or want it. I've also found that since I'm a creature of habit and I use the same places over and over, the proprietors get to know who I am, and that I do tip. I generally receive better service because of it...or so it seems.

When I'm at a sit down, I generally tip 25%, even for Mediocre service. If its TRUELY bad...I won't leave anything. Tip is actually an acronym, it means, "To Insure Promptness." I've known people to plop a 20 on the table before the meal and say, "This is your tip. Anytime our glasses are empty...I take away from it. "

The other areas that ask...like ice cream, Fast food, or coffee shops and other garbage like that...sorry folks. I don't tip there.

I don't really eat out. Maybe 4 times a year. When I do, I'm not impressed with the food.

I can buy the most expensive cuts of meat, grill them, toss some vegetables on with them, potatoes in the microwave, and buy a decent bottle of bourbon. Much better food and taste (especially when I get the vegatables out of the garden). Costs less too.

Then have leftovers.

I can cook everything on the grill Sunday night and save it for the week.

I take lunch to work.

Pizza is about the only takeout I do. But not often either. It's easier to buy premade pizza from HyVee and premade meals from Costco if I want quick. Their $5 rotisserie chickens are like little turkeys.

A lot of the servers expect tips but suck. Even for things like takeout, you order online, then have to check the order to make sure it's correct. If I use an app, pay online, drive to get it, and check my order for accuracy, then they shouldn't expect much for a tip.

I don't buy expensive coffee so I don't even go in those stores.

Eating out is almost entirely about convenience and laziness for me. Plus we get a pretty good discount and free drinks at the clubhouse so it's usually only 6 bucks for some decent food and all of the raspberry tea you can drink.

"to go orders" no I don't, but dine-in we tip based on service.
Now I do tip my Barber. Wouldn't want him to have a bad feeling towards me when getting haircut. lol

Reactions: freedom_in_4low