Tipping on to-go orders: What's the consensus?

I wonder what those numbers are based off of. As far as I remember, if you didn't make the tipped minimum wage, they'd have to compensate you accordingly to get you there. But otherwise, you'd make a couple bucks an hour + tips. Some restaurants will even list "average wages for waiters" in JDs like I kinda am here. It is pretty opaque, but I suppose it's like that everywhere. Benefits the employers.

I just looked up CO tipped minimum wage, it's over 10$. I don't honestly know if that is irrespective of tips, or what they must "bring you up to" if your tips suck. That's how I remember it.

Yeah, and I think the place where the argument is more relevant is not high-end restaurants. People there get paid more, FOH and BOH. In my experience, those kinds of places only hire attractive females. It's what people like to see. Sad boomers become return customers when they can creep on their waitress lol. Or maybe I was just above-average ugly.

Could you live on 18-20$/hr? What about 25, if my memory on minimum wage is wrong?

If you’re going to make a career out of it then you better shoot for a good tipping location.

Reactions: lBasket
If you’re going to make a career out of it then you better shoot for a good tipping location.

True, I wasn't. So I may be pretty biased. It was an ends to a mean; a way to exist while I got into a real career for myself. Maybe that was why I ended up in a random pizza place, rather than Ruth Chris or whatever.

Reactions: Apparition
Tipping is annoying though. Just like I hate places that don't list prices. But what can we do? Government action isn't the solution I'd want. So what else?

Tipping is annoying though. Just like I hate places that don't list prices. But what can we do? Government action isn't the solution I'd want. So what else?

The market sorts these things out. Restaurants in general are horrible businesses and turn frequently, even more so after the governmental intervention of the last couple years.

The market sorts these things out. Restaurants in general are horrible businesses and turn frequently, even more so after the governmental intervention of the last couple years.

Well it hasn't phased out tipping yet :( How can my dollars encourage this?

I would suggest the big turnover is more to do with the fact that people think making good food is what makes a restaurant successful. It isn't. It's like manufacturing. You should see what the people that bought my parents restaurant are doing to it, lol

Well it hasn't phased out tipping yet :( How can my dollars encourage this?

I would suggest the big turnover is more to do with the fact that people think making good food is what makes a restaurant successful. It isn't. It's like manufacturing. You should see what the people that bought my parents restaurant are doing to it, lol

Habits are hard to break.

I can’t remember where I was recently but the receipt said there’s no tipping.

• Wow
Probably. That's what I was taught back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

What about buffets? A couple years ago we had a large family event so we decided to make it easy and went to a Chinese buffet. When I got the bill they added a 18% tip due to party size. All they did was bring drinks. I haven’t been back.

Habits are hard to break.

I can’t remember where I was recently but the receipt said there’s no tipping.

On golf courses, cart attendants used to be absolute tip whores. Cleaning clubs just so they can get a better tip. Seems like that's kinda been roped back recently. Still can't stand most of those kids on our course though.

On golf courses, cart attendants used to be absolute tip whores. Cleaning clubs just so they can get a better tip. Seems like that's kinda been roped back recently. Still can't stand most of those kids on our course though.

Are the kids the spoiled brat children of other members?

Public course, but definitely spoiled brats. A couple of them I like, but most of them don't do shit all day.

I’ve been told it can be really bad at private courses because it can be politicky due to needing to treat that guys kid well even though the kid is an asshole.

Reactions: Bobohunter1776
I’ve been told it can be really bad at private courses because it can be politicky due to needing to treat that guys kid well even though the kid is an asshole.

Oh it's definitely like that at public courses too. Tons of politics, especially when you mix in a bunch of government bureaucrats and the fact I do maintainence.

What about buffets? A couple years ago we had a large family event so we decided to make it easy and went to a Chinese buffet. When I got the bill they added a 18% tip due to party size. All they did was bring drinks. I haven’t been back.

Anybody who thinks they're "entitled" to a tip and add it automatically is going to get an earful AND I won't be back.

• USA Proud
Funny, this thread is 3 years old, nothing to do with Jeeps and still going strong.
I'll give you a tip- if you want one from me, provide good service. Unfortunately, many/most service providers don't know what that is.

I had dinner at a nice restaurant in Thailand with a buddy, after great service throughout the meal, the waiter asked if we'd like dessert. My buddy asked for chocolate cake, I asked if they had cheesecake and the waiter said they didn't but he would see what he could do. He returned about 5 minutes later slightly out of breath, with a delicious piece of cheesecake.
Tuned out he ran down the block to another restaurant and purchased a piece of cheesecake and brought it back to me.
Tipped that dude $100.
That's the bar for me now.

Seriously, I start at 20% and slide up or down based on your service. If I order a $50 steak (medium rare) and ask you for horseradish when I order it, you should bring the damn horseradish WITH my steak, not 5 minutes later. Failure will cost you to drop to 10%. Let my iced tea go empty for more than a couple minutes, I knock off 5%. I make allowances for but dont realky care much how busy you are, I'm here for my own comfort and convenience.
I have worked in the service industry, prompt cheerful service will almost always get you rewarded nicely...you're going to run into assholes like Zorba as you do in the rest of life. Deal with it and move to another industry if you don't like it.
Tips for takeout are ok if they put cheerful effort into your order, and yes, a little extra through the covid BS.
Starbucks and 5 guys can suck it, they didn't earn anything on top of their asspensive, mediocre coffee and burgers.
Now I'm going too long but I gotta relay a "No tip" story.
Took the shop out for breakfast at an awesome San Diego diner that makes their own corned beef hash, delicious!
They add 18% for large groups. We were 9 squids. They didn't bring out 2 orders...ever.
Found out as I was paying that our LT and a 1st class never got their food!
Called the manager over and told him, "I ain't paying a tip for that shitty service. Please remove it." He did, with an apology.
As we're leaving, the LT who didn't get his food was trying to sneak a tip to the waiter who failed!
Yelled at the damn LT (who was actually a good and effective officer) that people like him ruin service for the rest of us!
Stop tipping shitty service people! They'll go elsewhere eventually.
Ok, thanks for letting me ramble.

Reactions: Mike_H
not fond of the tip option popping up automatically when you pick up an order. servers and drivers may deserve tips.......... but shop workers shouldn't be beggars.

i make machines that cost thousands of dollars, that my shop pays me to make...am i then entitled to a 20% tip from the customer at pick up or delivery also?
dam, i could be retired.