Tipping on to-go orders: What's the consensus?

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Tipping a bit more now since the industry is hurting and the extra bucks hopefully go a long way towards keeping people working. Normal tips
  • 0% at drive-thru fast food or the like where tips are not expected dine-in or out and employee compensation does not factor in tips
  • 10%, rounded up to whole $1, $5, or $10 depending on total bill at to-go from a restaurant where tips are typically given and factored into employee compensation
  • 20%-30% at dine-in restaurant for average to exceptional service
  • $5 at Domino's or the like when picking up a carry-out pizza on coupon (it is amazing how much less it costs for a pizza when you use the carry-out coupon and eliminate the junk 'delivery fee' that is clearly labeled not a tip for the driver :mad:). In addition to seeing their appreciation for the disproportionately high tip, they get to know you pretty quickly and your pizzas actually start looking as good as they do in their commercials 😁

I had a local pizza place tell me uber eats and the like add 30% to the bill. All I can say is when my daughter was confined with Covid, she ordered a Dunkin donuts iced coffee with door dash (normally $3.47) the bill was over $11.50???

$11.50??? wtf? Time to get off her ass and make her own coffee at that price. :ROFLMAO:

This one always gets me, my wife is a coffee drinker so I drive over to one of those roadside coffee places (almost like a food truck) but it’s a shed/trailer basically that sells coffee. I order her coffee and while they’re making it, they prompt me to pay and they ask for a tip right there before you’ve even gotten your coffee yet!

I’m like, how do I know if you even got the coffee you haven’t finished making yet right? What is the etiquette? Even my wife was like yeah I tip them, but I’m like what if it sucks? You’ll want your tip back or what? Makes no sense.

This one always gets me, my wife is a coffee drinker so I drive over to one of those roadside coffee places (almost like a food truck) but it’s a shed/trailer basically that sells coffee. I order her coffee and while they’re making it, they prompt me to pay and they ask for a tip right there before you’ve even gotten your coffee yet!

I’m like, how do I know if you even got the coffee you haven’t finished making yet right? What is the etiquette? Even my wife was like yeah I tip them, but I’m like what if it sucks? You’ll want your tip back or what? Makes no sense.
I’m good with not tipping anyone who charges you prior to consumption.

I don’t tip on takeout or drive thru. I will tip a driver for delivery. At a restaurant everyone starts at 20% and it goes up or down depending on the service. I absolutely despise the auto tip function anywhere and dislike the note on the bottom of the receipt for how much to tip. So many times it includes tip based on the amount with tax. In our area, all back ops areas are paid at least a minimum wage. Cooks are always higher.

A couple months ago some places in Colorado have a “Covid” fee of 10%, and now some places are just adding a Gratuity straight to the total price from take out orders. These places I do not tip, because if you are going to charge these fees the customer should be aware before placing an order.
I ran into that last year in Seattle. I asked about it and they gave me a paper that explained it was to offset the cost of living and I had to pay. I asked for the owner to come speak to us. I told him I wouldn’t pay it and he should be ashamed for not paying a livable wage. Asshats!

As said above in all previous posts, the tip nowadays is more for the extra care given to the food and packaging in lieu of the COViD pandemic. The fact is that restaurants and cafes are open and trying to stay afloat and trying to survive with the added cost and lack of traffic. I never tipped for takeout. for obvious reasons, but now I leave a tip for the staff there. normally just ten or fifteen percent of the total bill. I don't use apps for food ordering and I stick to mom and pop places.

I'm tipping at my local dunkin', because the staff there gets shit for pay and around where I live in NY they have remained opened throughout the lockdowns and the craze. Always friendly, never complaining. They have an app, but I refuse to use it. I see it dehumanizing the coffee routine. Even if I get the same damn thing every morning. Sure it is convenient, but you wait in line and converse with the staff and joke around and order your addiction juice and wish them a great safe day. I appreciate their efforts. Yes, it's just dunkin' donuts and they're not "baristas", but to me they are part of my day and have been great and always kind.

Last edited:
I’m good with not tipping anyone who charges you prior to consumption.
They have no problem looking you in the face and asking for it though! That’s the fucked up part. Like you have to understand I haven’t gotten the item I ordered yet so how could I possibly be good with tipping yet.

They have no problem looking you in the face and asking for it though! That’s the fucked up part. Like you have to understand I haven’t gotten the item I ordered yet so how could I possibly be good with tipping yet.
Exactly, it's like when a business asks for a review when they haven't even shipped the item you just ordered.

As said above in all previous posts, the tip nowadays is more for the extra care given to the food and packaging in lieu of the COViD pandemic. The fact that restaurants and cafes are open and trying to stay afloat and trying to survive with the added cost and lack of traffic. I never tipped for takeout. for obvious reasons, but now I leave a tip for the staff there. normally just ten or fifteen percent of the total bill. I don't use apps for food ordering and I stick to mom and pop places.

I'm tipping at my local dunkin', because the staff there gets shit for pay and around where I live in NY they have remained opened throughout the lockdowns and the craze. Always friendly, never complaining. They have an app, but I refuse to use it. I see it dehumanizing the coffee routine. Even if I get the same damn thing every morning. Sure it is convenient, but you wait in line and converse with the staff and joke around and order your addiction juice and wish them a great safe day. I appreciate their efforts. Yes, it's just dunkin' donuts and they're not "baristas", but to me they are part of my day and have been great and always kind.

I worked at a Dunkin in high school, the owner of our franchise took away our tips. We still had the tip jar, and people put tips into it, but it went towards the store profits at the end of the night, not the employees. A customer called the service line because he was upset about this, and they took the tip jar away altogether.

I worked at a Dunkin in high school, the owner of our franchise took away our tips. We still had the tip jar, and people put tips into it, but it went towards the store profits at the end of the night, not the employees. A customer called the service line because he was upset about this, and they took the tip jar away altogether.
It was like that before the covid at this shop.

Then there’s the whole concept that these people don’t want to touch your card anymore so they hold the card reader out the window and have you insert the card. Only sometimes it doesn’t read the card so they ask you to “take it out and put it back in again” or “push it in further”...wtf. I’m like, do you hear yourself? 😂

Exactly, it's like when a business asks for a review when they haven't even shipped the item you just ordered.

I actually did this with a business. The item I ordered was on back order and they had shitty communication. I was asked to leave a review, so I simply stated "poor communication, my item has been on back order for 3 weeks with no reply to my e-mails asking for an update. Would not buy from again." Somehow by a shipping miracle my stuff shipped out the next day... imagine that.

I actually did this with a business. The item I ordered was on back order and they had shitty communication. I was asked to leave a review, so I simply stated "poor communication, my item has been on back order for 3 weeks with no reply to my e-mails asking for an update. Would not buy from again." Somehow by a shipping miracle my stuff shipped out the next day... imagine that.
Thanks, I'm going to do that next time.

Then there’s the whole concept that these people don’t want to touch your card anymore so they hold the card reader out the window and have you insert the card. Only sometimes it doesn’t read the card so they ask you to “take it out and put it back in again” or “push it in further”...wtf. I’m like, do you hear yourself? 😂
That sounds like my ex-wife.

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch and EJD