Tire Balancing

I had to the same problem on my truck with the coopers at discount tire. I took it to Goodyear and they were worse. They told me that they seem out of balance because the are new and since there isn't any grooves on them yet they go everywhere and vibrate. They had well over 6 oz on the rear only. I went back to discount and they swapped the coopers out for Nittos and all 4 have a little over 1 ounce or less. Smooth no vibrations on the new tires.

Anyway, I won't be going back to Goodyear.

Reactions: Chris
I'm not surprised. As most of always say, the majority of tire places don't know how to balance the big tires we run on our TJs. Not to say that none of them can, you just have to find a shop that has people working there with experience on larger tires or 4x4s.

Reactions: StG58
i'd have them run each rim without a tire to make sure your rims are not part of the problem. Sometimes you get the heavy part of the tire on the heavy part of the rim, we used to deflate the tire, break the bead, rotate the tire to reposition it on the rim and then air it up and give it another go. static is old school but if it works it works. as the tires wear the balance changes so if you go back to the same store, just stick with static.

i'd have them run each rim without a tire to make sure your rims are not part of the problem. Sometimes you get the heavy part of the tire on the heavy part of the rim, we used to deflate the tire, break the bead, rotate the tire to reposition it on the rim and then air it up and give it another go. static is old school but if it works it works. as the tires wear the balance changes so if you go back to the same store, just stick with static.

I don't know if mud tires have the Same indicator of a white dot as other tires but, the installer should match the heavy side of the rim (valve stem) to the dot on the tire. The dot marks the tire's lightest side. This should help and result in smaller balance issues.