ToddK

Supporting Member
Struggling Trying to decide between 2 tires on my TJ. Goodyear MTR vs Nitto Trail Grappler. So many different opinions between the 2! I realize the MTR is the proper C rated one but many jeepers here in Vegas swear by the Nitto on the rocks and say they ride fine as long as you adjust pressure. There is a significant weight difference between these 2 as the Nitto is the heavier one but I hear from many people about how the MTR’s wear funny even with proper rotations. My rig is light for a TJ but want to make the right decision the first time when spending this much money on 5 tires. Size will be 35/12.5/17

Well I can't tell you what to do, but I will say I have the Nittos AT's on my Ram, and Goodyear Duratrac's on my TJ, I know they are not the MTR's, but I like them better between the two. I think the MTR's look better, and they have a kevlar sidewall that will only help you on the rocks. Plus it sounds like all of your friends use the Nittos, so be different. And tell them all why they made a mistake in not buying the Goodyears even though you, and I don't really know why.

Actually you probably can't go wrong with either, but I like the Goodyear better in my opinion, but please don't run out based on my opinion, wait for more people to chime in, and agree with me or disagree with me. I am just one vote for the Goodyears.

Reactions: ToddK
@ToddK are you really from Vegas? I'm in Henderson! I have the MTRs and love them and they get the treadwear you would expect but no uneven wearing or anything like that but I do really like them and they perform amazingly well! My wife's JK had the trail grapplers and I hated them, noisier than my MTRs are and I have a soft top and she has a hard top! They also lost chunks off road and had lacerations on easy forgiving terrain that my MTRs looked flawless on and I am EASY on tires, no gunning it and low speeds and sharper rock.

Reactions: ToddK and ac_
I’m in Henderson too @balfred ! Been here about 2 years now but I’m originally from WV. Thanks a lot for the replies. I’m leaning toward the MTR’s plus they are a few dollars cheaper as well. More than anything I’m worried about the rough ride of the e-rated nitto’s so the c rated MTR’s seem like the right choice. I’m hoping I get 5 good ones that wear well with proper rotations. Every tire forum I’ve checked out seems to be about 50/50 on the MTR’s which is what’s held up my decision

I haven't been great about rotating mine and have about 5k on them and they look great still. They ride really well too, I would probably get them again if I was to do it over. I just moved here last August from salt lake in UT.

I’m in Henderson too @balfred ! Been here about 2 years now but I’m originally from WV. Thanks a lot for the replies. I’m leaning toward the MTR’s plus they are a few dollars cheaper as well. More than anything I’m worried about the rough ride of the e-rated nitto’s so the c rated MTR’s seem like the right choice. I’m hoping I get 5 good ones that wear well with proper rotations. Every tire forum I’ve checked out seems to be about 50/50 on the MTR’s which is what’s held up my decision
I think your biggest thing to help is be diligent with tire pressures. Since your temps swing so heavily between night and day. I would check you air pressures a lot at least for the first year so you can get an idea of how they go. If you can keep your tire pressure consistent your wear should be pretty good.

That said I have always had problems (and it seems like only me) with the Ko2's. No matter what I do I cannot get them to wear evenly, but that isn't even in your wheel house.

I think you will like the MTR's just keep the tire pressure consistent, and I would suggest 26-28 psi. Also like mentioned before rotate the tires when suggested and if not more. Basically I rotate mine anytime I pull them all off or every to every other oil change depending on time.

Good luck and show pics of the new shoes.