Tire shops don’t like 26 psi

Required by law in California… for any service.

On September 1, 2010, the California Air Resources Board’s (ARB’s) Tire Pressure Regulation took effect. The purpose of this regulation is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles operating with under inflated tires by inflating them to the recommended tire pressure rating. The regulation applies to vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or less. Automotive service providers must meet the regulation’s following requirements:

• Check and inflate each vehicle’s tires to the recommended tire pressure rating, with air or nitrogen, as appropriate, at the time of performing any automotive maintenance or repair service.
  • Indicate on the vehicle service invoice that a tire inflation service was completed and the tire pressure measurements after the service were performed.
  • Perform the tire pressure service using a tire pressure gauge with a total permissible error no greater than + two (2) pounds per square inch (psi).
  • Have access to a tire inflation reference that is current within three years of publication.
  • Keep a copy of the service invoice for a minimum of three years, and make the vehicle service invoice available to the ARB, or its authorized representative upon request.
I’m not trying to be critical, and keep in mind I’m from Alabama- but is this type of governance widespread in California? I come from a state that legally doesn’t require all the tires on the car.

When I bought my 2500 the tires were at like 105 - 110 psi and it rode like it had no suspension. I had to pull over at a truck stop near the dealership and buy a gauge. I keep them at 65 front, 70 rear.

When I bought my 2500 the tires were at like 105 - 110 psi and it rode like it had no suspension. I had to pull over at a truck stop near the dealership and buy a gauge. I keep them at 65 front, 70 rear.
Those are about the numbers I run on my 3/4 ton.

When I recently got my state inspection, the young tire guy asked how much air I wanted in my tires. I told him 25 psi and he said that was way too low. The owner stepped in and told him that was correct for the tire size and a Jeep and to just do it. :)

p.s. I put Kender Klever MTs on the wife's KJ a few years ago. She loved the roar they made going down the road. After 15,000 miles, they still looked like brand new.

On September 1, 2010, the California Air Resources Board’s (ARB’s) Tire Pressure Regulation took effect. The purpose of this regulation is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles operating with under inflated tires by inflating them to the recommended tire pressure rating. The regulation applies to vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or less. Automotive service providers must meet the regulation’s following requirements:

• Check and inflate each vehicle’s tires to the recommended tire pressure rating, with air or nitrogen, as appropriate, at the time of performing any automotive maintenance or repair service.
  • Indicate on the vehicle service invoice that a tire inflation service was completed and the tire pressure measurements after the service were performed.
  • Perform the tire pressure service using a tire pressure gauge with a total permissible error no greater than + two (2) pounds per square inch (psi).
  • Have access to a tire inflation reference that is current within three years of publication.
  • Keep a copy of the service invoice for a minimum of three years, and make the vehicle service invoice available to the ARB, or its authorized representative upon request.
Comminfornia has too many laws that make no sense which are just to add money to the state budget or the politicians pockets....

Last edited:
I'm sure a lawyer is involved in tire stores putting the suggested air pressure of the manufacturer. Wasn't lower than recommended pressures part of the Ford Explorer lawsuit?
Brian,
You are correct, sir. Ford and Firestone 'colluded' to install tires on Ford Explorers at lower than recommended tire pressure, 24 - 26 psi, IIRC, and instruct the owners to keep them at that low pressure. These were not the Kevlar truck tires that most of us use on our Jeeps. Many of those tires overheated and either came apart or left the wheel at highway speeds.
I think the tire industry is now sufficiently paranoid that they toe the line in fear of liability and some business ending lawsuit(s). They just can't afford to have somebody's surviving wife sue them for $20 million (which they would.)
We will just do what we have always done; say "OK" and then resolve the issue in the parking lot.

i had some older tires swapped around.
when i went to mount them they were bricks.......... they had exceeded the pressure rating of those tires and put 50# in them.

don't trust anyone, check your stuff.

Reactions: John Cooper

Good lord!

I build delivery trucks for a living, UPS, Penske, etc... The sticker on those things says max 75 psi. They must have issues with customers and shops overinflating all the time, the sticker is on the outside of the fender right above the tires.

The idea that overinflated gives you better gas mileage is ridiculous too, yet we have CA and other states adopting that by law. It's a crazy world, this type of crap is why I learned to wrench on my vehicles.

It is even better in kali for vehicles over 10k. I had to scrap my 03 F550 last year. I was a "gross" polluter.

• Face Palm
Reactions: John Cooper
I run 32-36 PSI just for the lower rolling resistance... there is actually a noticeable difference. The cost is a harsher ride.

Have you been doing that long enough to see any accelerated wear of the center portion of the tire tread? I wouldn't consider it because of the ride but I've been curious how high it needs to be to actually do that.

Have you been doing that long enough to see any accelerated wear of the center portion of the tire tread? I wouldn't consider it because of the ride but I've been curious how high it needs to be to actually do that.
No accelerated wear anywhere on the tire. My front tires actually wear slower than my rear tires, probably because of the factory limited slip in the Rubicon rear. Roughly 20,000 miles so far on a set of 315/75R16 Duratrac tires.

Wear is pretty even.

Reactions: pagrey
Front, rear, and spare. Front and rear get swapped and switched sides every time the wheels are off. Spare does not get run at the moment.

20210925_135237.jpg

20210925_135254.jpg

20210925_135301.jpg

When I first got my 33s the shop inflated all 4 to 55psi. It rode like an empty dump truck, no suspension at all.

It's usually a liability thing. Dude tells them 24 psi and then wrecks on the way home. Related or not lawyers will turn over every rock to find someone to squeeze.

Reactions: Brianj5600
It's usually a liability thing. Dude tells them 24 psi and then wrecks on the way home. Related or not lawyers will turn over every rock to find someone to squeeze.

It's a catch 22 though. Overinflated has less traction, you slide off the road and sue them for that.

The "safe" option would be the door sticker but a lot of them go up to the max on the sidewall, which is IMO more likely to cause a crash than underinflated.

I just got 4 tires mounted at "Americas Tire Store" in CA. The guy mounting the tires says
Sir, what pressure would you like in your tires for your Jeep" I respond with, "give me about 26lbs" (I always recheck the pressure, in all the tires, when I get home) Yes Sir. When I got home all 4 had 26lbs. No problem. Ive never had a problem with any tire store over inflating the tires.
I would change tire stores if they didn't inflate your tires to the correct pressure and or ask you what you want for pressure.
I dont believe its a CA thing, I think its a going to the right place thing.