I bought some rims off a base model YJ for my TJ and I sorta jumped the gun I the tires say 205 but my tires are 215 Im like 99% sure I just wasted 100 bucks and I just want some confirmation that my rims are not gonna fit on my 33s.

Yellow jeep, one of the best. What is the question ? YJ wheels are also typically 15 inch and 5 on 4.5 inch lugs.

Measure the distance between the wheel rims to get width, but unless you go to 12.5 tire width, you should be fine.

1719175383540.png

Last edited:
Alright so in my defense im like 99% sure im autistic and im not exactly versed on how tire sizes work so imma lay it down the best way I know how both rims are 15" rims I know that but in concerned about the width not working, I looked up a chart and it said the 205 which is whats on the old rims tires was the width but my current ones are 215 I tried looking for sizing on the old rims but I cant find like anything

If both tire sets are 15 inch, then yes they'll fit.

Where you can start running into problems with factory wheels is if you go to really wide tires.

Most factory wheels are only 7" wide so something like a 12.5 " wide tire can be a tight fit.

Metric tire sizes are like this:

215/70/R17

The 215 is the width, in this case 215mm wide.

The 70 is the sidewall height, expressed as a percentage of the width. So in this case 70% of the 215 width. This is also called the aspect ratio.

The R stands for Radial (the vast majority of tires are now radial construction. There are still some bias ply mudders around)

And the 17 is the rim or wheel diameter, in this case 17 inches.

Usually the size will have either a P (Passenger Car) or LT (Light Truck) designation of the size, like P215/70/17.

LT tires will have a thicker sidewall and ride stiffer than P tires.

HERE is a great tool for comparing tire sizes.

Alright so in my defense im like 99% sure im autistic and im not exactly versed on how tire sizes work so imma lay it down the best way I know how both rims are 15" rims I know that but in concerned about the width not working, I looked up a chart and it said the 205 which is whats on the old rims tires was the width but my current ones are 215 I tried looking for sizing on the old rims but I cant find like anything

This is a website I've found useful, maybe helpful for you as well:

https://tiresize.com/tire-size-meaning/

When posting your tire sizes, post the entire size, for example: 215/75R15

From the little bit you posted, odds are good you can use those tires. The question will be more to should and/or want.

My 2 cents.

Tim

Same wheel width, different tire width. I put 12.5" wide tires on stock 7" wide wheels. Class dismissed. Go enjoy your summer vacation. :geek:

1719182101114.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: John Cooper