Tires on or tires off for DIY alignment

I've only done this once and it was with the plates, just seemed easier because I wouldn't have to remove the wheels to do it & it was pretty cheap. Before I bought this I went to Home Depot & looked at some suitable square tubing & between that & two identical tape measures the cost made the plates make more sense. Seems like it's 6 of one half dozen of another, though I do like the slots cut out in the plates that hold the tape measures in, no clamps or tire removal... the perfect gizmo for the lazy man.

This isn't the greatest picture but you get the idea, I did center the plates before actual measurements...

IMG_7112.PNG

Reactions: ac_
I've only done this once and it was with the plates, just seemed easier because I wouldn't have to remove the wheels to do it & it was pretty cheap. Before I bought this I went to Home Depot & looked at some suitable square tubing & between that & two identical tape measures the cost made the plates make more sense. Seems like it's 6 of one half dozen of another, though I do like the slots cut out in the plates that hold the tape measures in, no clamps or tire removal... the perfect gizmo for the lazy man.

This isn't the greatest picture but you get the idea, I did center the plates before actual measurements...

View attachment 48219

Finally! Someone on my side? Hi friend!

That is going to be me tomorrow!!

Finally! Someone on my side? Hi friend!

That is going to be me tomorrow!!

couldn't sit idly by while the other goofy bastard got flambeed :aaaaa:

By the way if you're doing this tomorrow what are you going to do with the other 23 hours & 55 minutes?

Reactions: ac_
couldn't sit idly by while the other goofy bastard got flambeed :aaaaa:

By the way if you're doing this tomorrow what are you going to do with the other 23 hours & 55 minutes?

Haha,

I am working, Today is no-change Friday so mostly documentation, Then tonight I am going to the local Comedy Improv for a stand up show. Not sure who is going to be there, Wifee bought the tickets. I will probably drink one or two too many whiskey sours. The good stuff with Jack Daniels. Then probably come home and pass out or I might catch an episode or two of the original Star Trek then pass out. I have had a tough time sleeping because the humidity has been kicking my ass at night lately, so hopefully sleeping in till at least late morning then I will make some sort of breakfast for the little woman and me. She will probably hit the mall for new shoes because, you know, that is what ladies do, Then I will hit the shop, and hopefully finish up my project, and try not to die in this humid 114 degree day tomorrow.

That might be TMI, I am not sure how much to indulge we are just now new friends haha.

I am currently doing a 4 inch lift, and just bought a Currie steering system. I am planning on doing the alignment exactly like @Jerry Bransford suggested, but I also purchased some toe plates from Longacre Racing, so when I am done, and it is back on its wheels, I am going to double check it, and see if anything changes. I am going to do it this weekend hopefully, so I will report back what I find. I am assuming as @Jerry Bransford suggested it will be really really close unless I have a bad ball joint.

I will pull a myth busters on the TJ. haha

Personally I usually do mine as @jjvw does with the weight of the Jeep on the floor on it's wheels.
Be nice to hear how that work affects it. I replaced all the ball joints and also unit bearings and u joints and put on the crown steering. I aligned it just like here and drives much better than before. Its no porsche, it has 3in lift with 33's But handles quite well so far.