Tires on or tires off for DIY alignment

04LJ

Question is is it better to align with or without the tires on? I used similar DIY method as noted on the forum, only difference is I used 1 inch angle iron and not 1 inch square aluminum. I did not do it yet with the tires off, but did it with the tires on. Got it within 1/8 inch and drove it. Anyway, whats better, tires/no tires?? any difference?? thanks

Ok all thanks for the advice, never knew the alignment was this easy. They want 110$ in this neck of the woods. Crazy

I’ll try it with the tires off too, but I suspect the results will be similar

Ok all thanks for the advice, never knew the alignment was this easy. They want 110$ in this neck of the woods. Crazy

I’ll try it with the tires off too, but I suspect the results will be similar
The results will be identical whether the tires are on or off.

I use two pieces of 1" square tubing clamped to the rotors to measure between. Measure between them at points marked equal to your tire diameter. While measuring between the tires absolutely works, I believe this method gives more repeatable results not to mention it's easier to measure from.

AlignmentPhotoCombined.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeep 541X
I've always had the tires on the half dozen times I've done an alignment.

Reactions: 04LJ
The results will be identical whether the tires are on or off.

I use two pieces of 1" square tubing clamped to the rotors to measure between. Measure between them at points marked equal to your tire diameter. While measuring between the tires absolutely works, I believe this method gives more repeatable results not to mention it's easier to measure from.

View attachment 48192
Will do Jerry, thanks for the input. Saved some $$ doing it this way. I figured tire on is gong to be the same, just wanted some experience from others.

I am currently doing a 4 inch lift, and just bought a Currie steering system. I am planning on doing the alignment exactly like @Jerry Bransford suggested, but I also purchased some toe plates from Longacre Racing, so when I am done, and it is back on its wheels, I am going to double check it, and see if anything changes. I am going to do it this weekend hopefully, so I will report back what I find. I am assuming as @Jerry Bransford suggested it will be really really close unless I have a bad ball joint.

I will pull a myth busters on the TJ. haha

Personally I usually do mine as @jjvw does with the weight of the Jeep on the floor on it's wheels.

Personally I usually do mine as @jjvw does with the weight of the Jeep on the floor on it's wheels.

The important thing is that the alignment must be done at normal ride height. Meaning that weight of the Jeep must be on the springs, be it on the tires or on jack stands.

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
What's the benefit of that over using the usual method we typically recommend here?

I think the benefit is you can do it on the floor, and you don't need to lift the jeep nor remove the wheels. You probably could just hang your tubing on the wheel also if you like, but this will sit on the floor. I think it might just be a little more convenient.

I don't know I am going to see what/if any difference tomorrow as my Jeep is up on stands right now with the wheels off so I am going to adjust it your way, then when I get it put together with the wheels on it I am going to double check it and see if anything changed or moved. Then I will probably drive it for a few miles and have to bring it back in and re-center the wheel then probably check it really quickly again with the toe places.

Or at least that was my plan.

The usual method recommended is just to measure between the tires with the tires on the ground, no need to lift the Jeep or remove the tires. I usually use the square tubing method when my front axle is already on jackstands with the wheels off. :)

I remember the time, early on after a new set of lift springs, I had my first bout of death wobble. I remembered I didn't do an alignment. So I pulled off the highway into a gas station and did the alignment in the parking lot. That seemed to work well enough, until the next time I did something to change the front end again.

I remember the time, early on after a new set of lift springs, I had my first bout of death wobble. I remembered I didn't do an alignment. So I pulled off the highway into a gas station and did the alignment in the parking lot. That seemed to work well enough, until the next time I did something to change the front end again.

Honestly when I had my YJ, I just had my wife hold the tape measure on the middle of the tread then I ran to the other side and measured to the center of the tread on the other side, both front and rear of the tire, but there wasn't any caster adjustment so that was good enough for me, but this is my first 4 link suspension and I do have a caster adjustment, so I didn't know how critical it is in relation to each other.

I am a little more meticulous with my TJ than I was with my YJ, That said I still align it myself with some sort of margin for error.

I feel like you guys are making fun of me because I have toe plates. We'll just see who gets 5 more miles out of a tire than who sirs?!