TJ 5-speed feels like it’s not really in neutral

Coachgeo

TJ Enthusiast
did a search but could not find thread similar. If someone recalls one.... give me some search key words to help find it.

anyway.. in Neutral on 5speed manual... I get a slight drag.... like it is NOT reallly in neutral.... there is a tiny attempt to pull forward when sitting in neutral with clutch out or in... though not as much in. I can feel it coasting downhill too on the highway with clutch in... like something holding me back a tad.... aka.... its not free wheeling. Might be two different issues?

Any advice on what to look for? Transmission is supposedly rebuilt.

Last edited:
Make sure the viscosity of the fluid not too thick. I have seen Toyota vehicles with shift problems by fluid being too thick.

Sounds like input shaft isn't completely disconnecting from the output shaft. When you put the transmission in neutral, clutch out, and rev the engine, what happens? Sounds like you should just put the Jeep on jack stands to get a real diagnosis.

But it makes no sense that the Jeep would want to creep forward even after you press down on the clutch. If that's the case, you also have a clutch problem.

Reactions: Coachgeo
Oil drag. Another reason not to flat tow with a manual in N. Maybe the PO thought Redline Shockproof was the hot ticket in the trans.

well the answer may not be related to any of the the above. Shop found the rear upper control arm broken (I live in the rust belt) and the front axle seems fine. Not sure how that made the front sound like it was clicking...... or it is unrelated.... and just has to be fixed first. grrrrrr.

Oh..... and the steering box is bad... it had leaked out fluid and shop said it looks like the actual box..... I found a rebuilt Durango box (recommended upgrade for 2002 and older TJ's) for 125 bucks... Jeeper bought it for his TJ then discovered .... oops.... its not a replacement/upgrade for his newer model (2004) but only the older ones. (his I believe would be a Mercedes?)