TJ audio upgrade

Christoph0315

Hi y'all,
I know this topic has been discussed many times but some of the old links are not working anymore and I couldn't really find what I was looking for so please forgive me in advance for bringing this old theme back up.

I have a 2002 TJ with stock soundbar and aftermarket head unit. I don't have a stock sub woofer, only the standard armrest console with lots of unused space.

I'm looking for replacement. I'm a very audiophile person, I have McIntosh in my living room... Of course, I'm not expecting any miracles out of my jeep but I just wanted to throw that in, if there is something 'better' than just bang for the buck I would like to go for it.
So, here is my dilemma. I don't want to go with huge modifications and drama. I want stock replacement, I don't mind an amplifier but its not a must. I definitely want to use the stock placements.
Is there any 'as is' solution on the stock soundbar available? What are considered to be the best options for dash board speaker? Head unit, I want a classic look, something clean. I don't need crazy options, USB plug in would be great, thats it.

So again, what would be your approach, money on a side?

thx!
cheers
Christoph

All the research I have done on this topic, I am convinced that there is not a whole lot to do. I have Kicker speakers in my sound bar and I have to tell you even that is not good. I just ordered new Kicker speakers for the dash panel and a new stock replacement sub from quadratec. They should be here on Wednesday. I am just hoping that it will be better then what I have now. I know my sub was not working at all, and the dash speakers were factory. I can tell you that Cruthfield seems to be the go to for everyone on the forum. I ordered my dash panel speakers from them and they throw in everything you need for an easy install. Now everything needs to get here so I can do the install on Wednesday.

i used the kicker speakers as well in the dash and sound pods in rear
they made a nice difference.. of course my old ones were blown completely
i really think a sub is needed badly in these jeeps

I'm not really sure what I want to spend yet. I'm exploring options. I do like the marine grade approach and I wouldn't mind some punch from a sub. I want factory look. I guess its not that i have to get rid of money but if something really attractive is out there and it cost 2grand I may would like to know whats available.

I don't have carpet anymore, the whole interiour is bedlined. I was thinking about something nice in the dash and than a replacement option for the stock soundbar. Plus woofer either in the center console, under the rear seats or at the trunk door. and some amps to fire that up. Also, whats a great classic looking head unit?

Polk DB's in the dash and overhead. Very efficient and they fit well.
The only way a subwoofer works is if it's in a box designed for the specific speaker, as you know. I built a box for under the drivers seat. It rocks.

Reactions: Ephry73
ok,
I've got in contact with Crutchfield and here is the outcome:

dash and soundbar polk db

select increments sub box with polk woofer

so far the speakers.

For amp I'm currently looking at (marine grade) 5 channel fusion or clarion.

Headunit is still not decided. I'm thinking about a fusion headunit as well, I do like the idea of just a couple of buttons, water resistant and clean. I just need to verify if it fits? has anybody done this before?

I'm also ordering a bunch of dynamat lite mats bc I foresee lots of rattling :)

any further advise?

thx

ok,
I've got in contact with Crutchfield and here is the outcome:

dash and soundbar polk db

select increments sub box with polk woofer

so far the speakers.

For amp I'm currently looking at (marine grade) 5 channel fusion or clarion.

Headunit is still not decided. I'm thinking about a fusion headunit as well, I do like the idea of just a couple of buttons, water resistant and clean. I just need to verify if it fits? has anybody done this before?

I'm also ordering a bunch of dynamat lite mats bc I foresee lots of rattling :)

any further advise?

thx

The stock head unit is a weird one to replace because of its size. I ended up using a double din touch screen unit. Doubles up well with the car play and I can zoom in on maps from the phone.

The overhead bar is the best spot for mids and tweeters and use the dynamat on the bar and some polyfill. Best bang for the buck.

IMG_20200724_154423.jpg

So,
I'm in the middle of all this.
Question,
I have a 4 rca cable for front and rear and another 2rca cable for the sub. But on my head unit I only have 4 plugs. How do I get the sub connected?
I read folks here have double din head units. Is there a manual on how to get this set up? Since I'm still going back and for on the head unit and now it may looks like I'm missing a sub out I probably have to go for a different radio anyway.
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 179267

So,
I'm in the middle of all this.
Question,
I have a 4 rca cable for front and rear and another 2rca cable for the sub. But on my head unit I only have 4 plugs. How do I get the sub connected?
I read folks here have double din head units. Is there a manual on how to get this set up? Since I'm still going back and for on the head unit and now it may looks like I'm missing a sub out I probably have to go for a different radio anyway.
Thanks in advance!
You could use a pair of y spliters on two channels to take care of the front and rear channels, then use the other two for your sub, assuming your sub amp has a on board crossover. Only problem is if you do it this way, you will loose fade function between front and rear channels. Or you could use high level speaker outputs into something like a AudioControl LC6I that would convert to six channel rca output. This option would also give you an option for subwoofer level control.

Thanks a lot @willis36 .
I may consider a 6 output head unit now since they aren't too expensive. For whatever reason I thought this is more.
I'm just on the fence now between the cool clarion M508 or alternatively something with apple play.

Anyway, still time to decide. Will finish the speaker and stuff this weekend. I will spend extra time for the wiring. I hate the factory quality and replace as much as I can with better stuff. I'm not in a hurry.

IMG_20200724_180320.jpg

Not sure if you’ve finished, but I just installed a Sound Ordinance 8” sub/amp combo in place of the factory sub which was blown. I read all the threads on running wires through the firewall, then it occurred to me that the factory sub already had 12v and ground wires In place. It took a Little research to find the wiring diagram, but I ended up cutting the factory plug off and just using the factory power and ground. No running wires and I get to use the factory fuses!