TJ fender flare options

oldschoolsdime92

TJ Enthusiast
Now that my wrangler is back from the machine shop, I am able to put my attention into another portion of this project. My fender flares. My jeep is stock heigh on 31x10.5s. I don't particularly care for the " 10lb of potatoes in a 5 lb sack look". Which is exactly how I felt the 31's looked after I had them put on. So I trimmed 1.5 out of the flares.

E1BDEC4F-1BB7-4E51-9D2A-BF8AAA87DBF5_zpssfxnnnqv.jpg

3E2293F2-12B9-4A21-9AC2-18328317B386_zpslaphbkqr.jpg

My issue with this is, while they look OK in pictures, up close they aren't perfectly straight. I cut them with a razor blade and a wood block as a guide. They are faded out bad. I hate to buy new flares, just to cut them and not have a really nice clean edge. If I knew I could router a nice rounded edge on them, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I would like to have tire coverage from the flares, Its not a must but it would be nice. I've looked at the wider stock style flares, and I think they may look funny with the 31s and no lift. Anyone have a picture?

Ive also looked at the bushwhacker flat flares, along with the metal cloaks. Are there any options out there, that I am overlooking?

Reactions: Ron505
Now that my wrangler is back from the machine shop, I am able to put my attention into another portion of this project. My fender flares. My jeep is stock heigh on 31x10.5s. I don't particularly care for the " 10lb of potatoes in a 5 lb sack look". Which is exactly how I felt the 31's looked after I had them put on. So I trimmed 1.5 out of the flares.

View attachment 8209

View attachment 8210

My issue with this is, while they look OK in pictures, up close they aren't perfectly straight. I cut them with a razor blade and a wood block as a guide. They are faded out bad. I hate to buy new flares, just to cut them and not have a really nice clean edge. If I knew I could router a nice rounded edge on them, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I would like to have tire coverage from the flares, Its not a must but it would be nice. I've looked at the wider stock style flares, and I think they may look funny with the 31s and no lift. Anyone have a picture?

Ive also looked at the bushwhacker flat flares, along with the metal cloaks. Are there any options out there, that I am overlooking?

Have you considered the OE Rubicon / Sahara flares? They're 1" wider than the flares on your TJ, and look great IMHO.

I am in the same boat; want full coverage without a funky look with 31's. Only thing I have seen in pics that looks decent are flat fender style flares. If full coverage isn't mandatory, the Rubi flares like Chris suggests would look cool.

Last edited:
Option 1:
Rubicon/Sahara flares are 1.5" wider than normal flares. This doesn't fix the original problem of having too small of a gap between your tires and your flares, however.

Option 2:
Buy a brand new set of normal TJ flares (what I did) for $200 to replace your faded flares and to keep the factory look; then lift your Jeep with a simple 2" coil/2" shock combo. Which, a 2" lift is perfect for 31" tires.

Option 3:
$500 Bushwacker flares that will over cover your 31" tires and may look just as funky as you feel it already looks.
You could get those $200 stock flares that I suggested with a $400 BDS 2" lift kit for only $100 more than what you would spend on Bushwackers!

Option 4:
Your Jeep looks good as it sits now, so don't worry about it! I used to have 31" tires on no lift and it never bothered me.
If you can't stand it, however, then go with one of the above 3 options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a link to the rubicon flares? Google didn't help too much.

I like my current flares. I would prefer more coverage but its not a must. I just a bit of a perfectionist and I'm not 100% happy with my cut flares. As for a lift, I don't have much overhead clearance where my jeep lives. I have found pro comp and quadratec offer 1.5 and 1.75 leveling kits. While I'm not a fan of the spacers, it would do what I need. I just need to measure and verify that it will in fact ,still fit in my building. My biggest concern is overhead height in my storage location. Thats why I have stepped away from my original planned OME lift.

Does anyone have a link to the rubicon flares? Google didn't help too much.

I like my current flares. I would prefer more coverage but its not a must. I just a bit of a perfectionist and I'm not 100% happy with my cut flares. As for a lift, I don't have much overhead clearance where my jeep lives. I have found pro comp and quadratec offer 1.5 and 1.75 leveling kits. While I'm not a fan of the spacers, it would do what I need. I just need to measure and verify that it will in fact ,still fit in my building. My biggest concern is overhead height in my storage location. Thats why I have stepped away from my original planned OME lift.

Here's the OE Rubicon flares:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKLXS2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here's some photos of them on my Rubicon (checkout all the pages since there's pics throughout):
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/my-2005-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-tj.101/

Reactions: glwood
Couple of photos of flat Xenon fender flares (which look similar to the Bushwacker flatties) with 31" tires:
2011-06-04_18-38-34_550-800.jpg

side.jpg

I think those look pretty good with those tires...the person who posted this says they are running a 1.75" spacer in the front to account for the weight of the bumper and winch, otherwise stock suspension.

One more with stock suspension, no lift:
q_octjeep.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Avoid the Bushwhacker flat flares. They're flimsy and barely held on, they don't last long if they rub up against something while you're offroading.

To get rid of the faded out look, use a heat gun on them. A hair dryer won't do, it doesn't get hot enough. Just keep the heat gun moving on the flares (use its lower heat setting, a heat gun's hottest setting can melt the flares) and you'll see the vinyl turn black underneath the heat. It's like magic.

This shows before & after...

Fender Flare by Heat Gun.jpg

Reactions: Blade
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Could you straighten up your cuts with a sanding block or something? Also, you could add a little edge trim to them to cover a few of the imperfections. I used this for my aftermarket flares in between the body and flare though. Not sure how well it would stay on the outer edge.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=131178792095
That's actually a great idea. That edge trim has an adhesive inside the channel that keeps the trim in place. That would certainly clean up the edges that you are not too happy with, and would be a less expensive alternative to new flares.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I may give the trim pieces a try. That's what I don't like about my trim job. The edge doesn't look finished. I need to finish sanding the cut line out, as they are a bit wavy but I think these or the rubicon flares are the answer

I'd buy enough of the trim to do one of the flares and give it a try. You wouldn't lose much to find out if it's the solution.

Reactions: Chris