TJ Fender Flare Suggestions

PalmettoStateBob

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Wanting to replace my TJ stock fender flares. We use Jeep to joy ride, not a rock climber or mud bogger. I like the look of the flat style, but not locked into it. We are also looking into a new paint color for Jeep and are going to paint fender flares. Right now I am googling flares. Any suggestions or stay away from advice?

I liked the flat style, too, but couldn't justify some of the egregious prices just for looks — maybe when I finally tackle 35" tires.

I've got 33"x12.5" tires that stick out more than the stock tires did. I went with 6" fender flares.

I'm happy with them: the coverage is nice and they're durable. I've smacked them into a few trees a couple times and they've held their shape (save the trail tattoos they now proudly wear).

Some states require wheels to have enough covering to protect against road debris being flung up, etc. According to liftlaws.com, there's no specific reference to this requirement in South Carolina.

Wanting to replace my TJ stock fender flares. We use Jeep to joy ride, not a rock climber or mud bogger. I like the look of the flat style, but not locked into it. We are also looking into a new paint color for Jeep and are going to paint fender flares. Right now I am googling flares. Any suggestions or stay away from advice?
I replaced a set with the stock style OMIX brand (aka Rugged Ridge). Perfect fit, stainless steel hardware, very happy so far (~10 months).

On another rig I went with MCE. I’m also happy with them. Different style flatty.

I liked the flat style, too, but couldn't justify some of the egregious prices just for looks — maybe when I finally tackle 35" tires.

I've got 33"x12.5" tires that stick out more than the stock tires did. I went with 6" fender flares.

I'm happy with them: the coverage is nice and they're durable. I've smacked them into a few trees a couple times and they've held their shape (save the trail tattoos they now proudly wear).

Some states require wheels to have enough covering to protect against road debris being flung up, etc. According to liftlaws.com, there's no specific reference to this requirement in South Carolina.
I replaced a set with the stock style OMIX brand (aka Rugged Ridge). Perfect fit, stainless steel hardware, very happy so far (~10 months).

On another rig I went with MCE. I’m also happy with them. Different style flatty.
With me wanting to paint fenders a contrasting color, something similar to stock would show better. Just not wanting true stock

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
I got these paramount autos off amazon for $189. They are a short term look until I can do aluminum. Honestly for the price I really love them though. Pretty damn sturdy on the trails too!
736EF99C-C221-49A9-AA7F-9FF4BD72A067.jpeg

I got these paramount autos off amazon for $189. They are a short term look until I can do aluminum. Honestly for the price I really love them though. Pretty damn sturdy on the trails too!View attachment 315264
I can't agree they're all that sturdy on the trail. :)

CIMG2644.JPG
CIMG2695.JPG

I would also avoid Bushwhacker Pocket flares, the plastic they're molded from is very brittle and it cracks easily. That's how they later became known as Bushcrackers.

I can't agree they're all that sturdy on the trail. :)

View attachment 315289View attachment 315290

I would also avoid Bushwhacker Pocket flares, the plastic they're molded from is very brittle and it cracks easily. That's how they later became known as Bushcrackers.
Lol I don’t run that hard 😂 you beat those to hell! Mine don’t have that plastic mount you have attached to the body. I’m sure mine would fall apart if tested

Reactions: PalmettoStateBob
I just installed a set of the KBD flares and would recommend them
Thats cool, would you happen to have any photos of them on your jeep?

Did the install go well without any modifications? Do the flares feel solid and well made?

Did you install the factory side markers? So far I've been unable to find a good picture from the side showing how the side markers look on these style flares.

The picture sucks but it's all I have at the moment..they are very well made and I would consider them heavy duty. They arent flimsy like stock flares which may be a good or bad thing.

There was no modifications to stock and I opted to delete the side markers. They have a cutout in the flares if you want to use side markers.

The only downside is the hardware they supply. They want you to use plastic push rivets (supplied with the flares). They work but aren't my fastener of choice. I see no reason you couldn't reuse your oem flare hardware.

Thankfully my oem threaded inserts were good and I was able to use their screws to fasten those areas.

Overall I would buy them again in a heart beat and will continue to recommend them.