TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very close to many trails on state trust land, and I'm also within short distance of the Tonto National Forest.

Here's an example of a trail that's within about 20 minutes of the house:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arizona/highway-to-hell-and-upper-woodpecker-ohv-trail?u=m
I've downloaded all the maps using the AllTrails app, and there's just countless numbers of off-roading spots, some which are easier and more scenic, and others which look more challenging.

This was of course not planned, it's just a very welcome thing I discovered once we got the new house.
That looks like a pretty tough gulch! Nice trail

Reactions: Wildman
I'm very close to many trails on state trust land, and I'm also within short distance of the Tonto National Forest.

Here's an example of a trail that's within about 20 minutes of the house:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arizona/highway-to-hell-and-upper-woodpecker-ohv-trail?u=m
I've downloaded all the maps using the AllTrails app, and there's just countless numbers of off-roading spots, some which are easier and more scenic, and others which look more challenging.

This was of course not planned, it's just a very welcome thing I discovered once we got the new house.

SURE we believe you ;)

Well I know what I'm going to be doing this evening!

Krvgylw.jpg

Hey Moabers!

So it's looking like the place I was going to stay at feel through, the owner (renter?) said he needed to check with a family to see if they wanted to stay next April before confirming my reservation because this family has rented his place for the entire month of April for the last 11 years. Turns out they still do and I can appreciate always having return business!

However I have gotten my Guide to Moab book and I'm now seriously debating overlanding the entire trip to Moab. Yes I have been camping, though no recently and it was before I had kids. Ultimately I've always wanted to my build my TJ into an overland rig rather than a hard code offroad TJ so if possible I would like y'alls opinions on a few things.

1st: How available are the camping sites in Moab? I realize this is a bit of a loaded question because I have the guide BUT it's got a ton of information that I'm trying to digest right now.
2nd: What are y'alls thoughts on Roof Racks and Roof Top Tents? Currently I'm looking at the Garvin Expedition Rack because it has a rack-titling feature so I could still remove the front half of my two-piece hard top
3rd: I'm green enough that I don't mind asking :ROFLMAO: , how available are bathrooms at campsite at Moab? Again I need to really read the guide in full, but being my first time out to Moab I'm trying to decide how much new I want to experience.

Now onto some questions not related to overloading/camping!

4th: How helpful is it to have half-doors on your TJ when wheeling in Moab? I've been on the hunt for a set of Impact Orange half doors for years now but at this point I'll get a set of doors and paint them if need be. I know they give you WAY more visibility and I have to wonder how crucial that is for Moab
5th: In reading the Moab Guide last night I feel like my Jeep almost falls into their definition of Hardcore Modified, I say that VERY loosely, manly because I have 32" tires, a LSD Dana 44, very low-range gearing and my ground clearance if very high because of all the tucking I have done. I ask because I'm trying to use the book to help figure out what trails I want to do and right now I'm leaning towards mostly the Blue Moderate Trails and one or two Difficult Trails.

As always thank you so much for your help and feedback. Moab has really been a bucket list destination for me since I got my first Jeep back in 2002! I much rather ask the stupid questions and really be able to enjoy my first time out to Moab than not ask the questions and have a bad time because I wasn't properly prepared!

Thanks
Grant

Hey Moabers!

So it's looking like the place I was going to stay at feel through, the owner (renter?) said he needed to check with a family to see if they wanted to stay next April before confirming my reservation because this family has rented his place for the entire month of April for the last 11 years. Turns out they still do and I can appreciate always having return business!

However I have gotten my Guide to Moab book and I'm now seriously debating overlanding the entire trip to Moab. Yes I have been camping, though no recently and it was before I had kids. Ultimately I've always wanted to my build my TJ into an overland rig rather than a hard code offroad TJ so if possible I would like y'alls opinions on a few things.

1st: How available are the camping sites in Moab? I realize this is a bit of a loaded question because I have the guide BUT it's got a ton of information that I'm trying to digest right now.
2nd: What are y'alls thoughts on Roof Racks and Roof Top Tents? Currently I'm looking at the Garvin Expedition Rack because it has a rack-titling feature so I could still remove the front half of my two-piece hard top
3rd: I'm green enough that I don't mind asking :ROFLMAO: , how available are bathrooms at campsite at Moab? Again I need to really read the guide in full, but being my first time out to Moab I'm trying to decide how much new I want to experience.

Now onto some questions not related to overloading/camping!

4th: How helpful is it to have half-doors on your TJ when wheeling in Moab? I've been on the hunt for a set of Impact Orange half doors for years now but at this point I'll get a set of doors and paint them if need be. I know they give you WAY more visibility and I have to wonder how crucial that is for Moab
5th: In reading the Moab Guide last night I feel like my Jeep almost falls into their definition of Hardcore Modified, I say that VERY loosely, manly because I have 32" tires, a LSD Dana 44, very low-range gearing and my ground clearance if very high because of all the tucking I have done. I ask because I'm trying to use the book to help figure out what trails I want to do and right now I'm leaning towards mostly the Blue Moderate Trails and one or two Difficult Trails.

As always thank you so much for your help and feedback. Moab has really been a bucket list destination for me since I got my first Jeep back in 2002! I much rather ask the stupid questions and really be able to enjoy my first time out to Moab than not ask the questions and have a bad time because I wasn't properly prepared!

Thanks
Grant
1) depends on what campground. Some you can reserve, others are first come first serve. Arrive on Thursday afternoon for the latter.
2) how much does it weigh. Your springs are going to compress. You’ll lose lift. I pull a trailer Or a cargo hitch
3) Reserved sites no problem. First come first serve is usually a community area you may have to drive too.
4) I like to wheel with no doors. If I spent years trying to find IOrange half doors I would never put them on my rig when wheelin. Trail doors or no doors.
5) I’m going to be on all red trails, middle of the list and close to the bottom.

Reactions: Alex01
1) depends on what campground. Some you can reserve, others are first come first serve. Arrive on Thursday afternoon for the latter.
2) how much does it weigh. Your springs are going to compress. You’ll lose lift. I pull a trailer Or a cargo hitch
3) Reserved sites no problem. First come first serve is usually a community area you may have to drive too.
4) I like to wheel with no doors. If I spent years trying to find IOrange half doors I would never put them on my rig when wheelin. Trail doors or no doors.
5) I’m going to be on all red trails, middle of the list and close to the bottom.
I’ve only run trails considered red in that book, for the most part none of them were that difficult.

For instance the guys at TFL run fins and things with stock rigs in their YouTube videos, it’s not very difficult with minimal mods.

Reactions: Alex01
I’ve only run trails considered red in that book, for the most part none of them were that difficult.

For instance the guys at TFL run fins and things with stock rigs in their YouTube videos, it’s not very difficult with minimal mods.
I agree, and you can run both north and south sections of fins in a little over 2 hours.

So, it doesn't look like my wife is coming with, so instead of hauling the RV all the way, I'm going to see what my jeep and trailer weigh. Pretty sure I'll be around 5500 lbs. I'll probably tow out with my ZR2 (with is 5000 lb tow rating) and Tent it.

So, for those who've been before, am I better trying to grab a site with a reservation or trying to get something first come first served?

I need to get some more rock experience...Back to Drummond Island!

The book is a bit misleading in it's ratings as stated above. I found the red rock wheelers website to give a better idea of difficultly. We mostly stayed on level 6 last time but I'd like to venture to 7's and possibly an 8 this round.

Grant you're probably able to run a 5 if you have skids. I'd at least check out a 4 or 5 and even a 6, if it looks like it's too much turning around is always an option.

https://www.rr4w.com/trails.cfm

Last edited:
So, it doesn't look like my wife is coming with, so instead of hauling the RV all the way, I'm going to see what my jeep and trailer weigh. Pretty sure I'll be around 5500 lbs. I'll probably tow out with my ZR2 (with is 5000 lb tow rating) and Tent it.

So, for those who've been before, am I better trying to grab a site with a reservation or trying to get something first come first served?

@ac_ And @lowranger camped out last year. They may have some suggestions.

My wife and I were in our motorhome towing the Jeep on a trailer and reserved a spot in an RV park south of town. It was nice reserving a spot because then we knew we had a place to stay.View attachment 159824
That’s like my dream setup. Nicely done.

Having a reserved spot takes a lot of pressure off prior to leaving, nothing worse that finishing a long drive then having to search around and hoping to get a place to stay with out having to "take whats left"....my opinion.

The book is a bit misleading in it's ratings as stated above. I found the red rock wheelers website to give a better idea of difficultly. We mostly stayed on level 6 last time but I'd like to venture to 7's and possibly an 8 this round.

Grant you're probably able to run a 5 if you have skids. I'd at least check out a 4 or 5 and even a 6, if it looks like it's too much turning around is always an option.

https://www.rr4w.com/trails.cfm

Thank you so much for this @Alex01 ! I was going to check it out after this weekend but my daughter and I are going through the book and the rr4w website to narrow down the trails to level 4 ~ 6!

I agree with level 4 and 5 being right for what my TJ can handle, though there are some level 6 trails that I would really like to go on and just bypass the sections that I'm not comfortable with! Is it April 2021 yet?

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
Status
Not open for further replies.