TJ has lots of body roll and wanders

Your caster will have changed up front too with the lift. How's your return to center? While most will say an alignment is a waste of money, it is nice to have a printout so you have a real baseline.

Mine even had rear steer..it was beyond bad.

Body roll is sway bar and control arm bushings mainly

Wandering can be caused that , tracking , alignment , unit bearings in front (hubs basically ) .

Often it's not one thing , but a combination of worn components.

Be encouraged , mine drives like a new Jeep. Seriously.

If you accelerate in the Jeep shifts backward and you stop and it body rolls forward you will know it's the control arms. Will feel shaky.

Thanks for the input Andy. I looked at the bushings when I was installing the springs. They look like typical 18 year old bushings, not really bad but have some substantial weather cracking. Wouldn't be a bad idea to put them on my "to do" list and change them out. I'm not taking the lift off because there is no clearance in the front with the 32" tires, plus it just looks better, lol.
It’s not the lift. Sometimes what happens when you lift your rig is some parts that were already worn begin to show they are worn. You’ve changed angles you didn’t know existed. You’ll sort it out. Start with the simple things, toe in 1/16-1/8”, deflate tires to 26-27psi. ;) Then check back in. And whatever youvdo, don’t add an Anti-Rock!

Reactions: Trail Rider
I run OME lightweight spring on the rear of my Jeep, and don't have problems with body roll. I'm also running the 5100s and 33" tires and springs in front. So...basically the same setup. Look at your sway bar links to make sure
I installed new removable/adjustable sway bar links in the front and adjusted the stock sway bar to 10 degrees up. No track bar bracket in the rear yet, should I look into this?

The rear sway bar links are probably worn out. Also, installing a bracket on the rear track bar will lower your roll center about an 1/8 of an inch. I don't know if its enough to make a difference...but I went through the calculations to figure it out.

Like I said, my body roll isn't too bad. Slightly more than stock, but I installed a body lift too and attribute the increased roll to that. Its not scary or excessive by any means though..

... Also, installing a bracket on the rear track bar will lower your roll center about an 1/8 of an inch. ...

Doesn't the raised TB bracket increase the roll center? The idea (I think) is that the fulcrum between the body and axle is raised which reduces the ability for the body to sway.

I think I have found the wandering problem. Toe in was set almost 3/8” with 32” tires. Tie rods have never been adjusted on this Jeep, still had the lock washer on both sides of clamp. Couldn’t budge tie rod with a monkey wrench and cheater bar, my new best friend (again) is my trusty ole torch! Resetting the toe in to 1/16” to 1/8”, going to drop tire pressure to 26 lbs like Jerry recommended and test drive this guy. Thanks again for all your help. I work on a Super Comp dragster all day long but not much experience with these jeeps!

D7F3B508-E556-470D-9758-D6689CC0B237.jpeg

Doesn't the raised TB bracket increase the roll center? The idea (I think) is that the fulcrum between the body and axle is raised which reduces the ability for the body to sway.
The way I understand roll center is that it is the vertical distance from the center of gravity to where the trackbar intersects the projection of that CoG. So...basically the distance from the center point of the trackbar to the CoG.

When you lift the vehicle, you increase that distance, thus allowing more roll. You would raise the Trackbar up to shorten that distance again to give a roll center closer to factory.

Again, we're only talking about a small lift here, so not sure how much this applies, but that is why I installed a relocation bracket.

Reactions: jjvw and KCsTJ
Ok, here's the deal. Reset the toe in to 1/8th" and dropped the tire pressure to 26 psi front and rear. The TJ dives like a completely different vehicle. It doesn't wander/hunt on the road any more which actually improved the body roll. There must have been so much toe in the tires they were wandering side to side on these beat up Texas roads. It still has a slight bit of body roll but not really much at all. I can definitely live with it for now. Several things on the to do list, TB's, rear SB links etc, etc. I just want to say this forum really is a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate all the help. I'm finding out real fast that these jeeps are just like my race car. Seems every time you do one thing and get it right, your already thinking about the next thing you can do to "improve" your ride, lol, and I haven't even gotten out on the rocks yet!!!!

Yes.. it's rarely ever one thing ... I always contend that every vehicle is in variable stages of wear based on the life of the components and what has been replaced and what hasn't...

I will even go so far as to say no two are the same

You just start with the big stuff like alignment and bushings and work your way down to small things that affect the ride.

Tire brand and type will matter because different tires have different characteristics.

I'm not even saying there's a right way for everybody to set up their vehicle... But everybody can systematically go through and eliminate the things that are wrong and bring the Jeep to their level of satisfaction.