TJ/LJ tub soft top rail replacement

Coalcracker18

I’m looking to see if anyone has info on sourcing a replacement tub rail. My passenger side has a section rotted out of it.

IMG_8424.jpeg

I have seen one company that makes the body fill section for a TJ stretch that has it on there but never found just the rail. I have also seen that Rugged Ridge makes a plastic cap you can buy to cover it up.

I’m thinking at this point I need to find someone with a donor tub and cut it off.
Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

I'm pretty sure it is just a strip of generic foam seal. Perhaps look for truck cap/topper seals, and simply cut it short enough.

Edit: I now see you're referring to the steel itself...

Last edited:
I’m looking to see if anyone has info on sourcing a replacement tub rail. My passenger side has a section rotted out of it.

View attachment 520216
I have seen one company that makes the body fill section for a TJ stretch that has it on there but never found just the rail. I have also seen that Rugged Ridge makes a plastic cap you can buy to cover it up.

I’m thinking at this point I need to find someone with a donor tub and cut it off.
Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

I've used a bunch for other projects and I've always gotten them at the u-pull junkyard, there are lots of TJ's there. Just bring a battery-powered drill with a spot weld cutter and they come off pretty easily. I still have a supply...

TubRails.jpg

I used them when I was building the camper top for my Jeep-tub trailer, I made the top of the shell the same profile as the TJ tub and added tub rails to it:

TestAssembly1b.jpg

I use them to secure the bottom of the pop-up:

TiltUp2.jpg

When I designed the Safari Cab hardtop for the LJ/TJ I made provisions for a pop-top camper, which would work the same way as the pop-top on the camper trailer, so I stocked up on tub rails :).

PopTopConcept.png

I've used a bunch for other projects and I've always gotten them at the u-pull junkyard, there are lots of TJ's there. Just bring a battery-powered drill with a spot weld cutter and they come off pretty easily. I still have a supply...

View attachment 522178

I used them when I was building the camper top for my Jeep-tub trailer, I made the top of the shell the same profile as the TJ tub and added tub rails to it:

View attachment 522177

I use them to secure the bottom of the pop-up:

View attachment 522179

When I designed the Safari Cab hardtop for the LJ/TJ I made provisions for a pop-top camper, which would work the same way as the pop-top on the camper trailer, so I stocked up on tub rails :).

View attachment 522183

You are lucky to find wranglers in your junk yards. Any of the local ones around me never have them. Guys that specialize in Wranglers always wind up with them and sell the parts for premium money.
I did happen to find one of those guys kinda local to me that is willing to sell me them. He has a bunch of other stuff I need as well so I’ve got a small list going.
I did also see that you can still get the TJ version OEM new still and for cheap money, $20-30 per side. I was specifically looking for the LJ version.

Reactions: Danarch