TJ over my JKU

fourpointzero

TJ Addict
Long story short- I bought a Sahara JKU, for a steal, from a long time friend. Been driving it for over a month and I still favor my TJ over the JK. So much so, that I find myself itching to drive the TJ more and furthermore, have a ‘like’ / hate’ for the JK.

Curious how many of you have a JK and or feel somewhat the same? Or maybe have bought and sold a JK to get into a TJ?

✌️

Love my YJ, my TJ, and my JLU. They each have their pros and cons and I personally couldn't pick one to drive over another or any real reason. Though I do how much more simple the YJ is.

All that to say, I would prefer not to have the JK/JKU. Jeep just missed the mark with the JK and then proved it with the JL.

Had an 08 JK . It had a 6 speed. A lot of hills where I am. I appreciated the gas mileage but didn't care for the lack of power and torque. Sold it and bought a 2001 TJ with the 4.0 and 5 spd. I've had fun adding wheels, tires, bumpers, etc. All around I've just had more fun with the TJ and it just feels more like a Jeep should feel to me.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Had a 2011 JKU Rubicon for around 5 years and I would rather not have one again.

Had 2 TJs that I loved before the JKU, after I traded the JKU in for a 2017 Chevy 1500 I decided I wanted a secondary vehicle and I decided it would be a TJ/LJ. Didn't even consider looking for another JK even though they are for sale everywhere

One reason not mentioned yet why the JK is better is the aftermarket support. Lots of companies are phasing out support for the TJ and the JK still has another good 10 years of aftermarket full support until the JL replacement comes out.

I went 05 Tj Rubicon to 08 JKU (just for the space) but am now back in a 05 LJ Rubicon. I really disliked a lot of thinks about the JK.. List is pretty long... Electronics, engine, the strength of axles, etc

When I was shopping I was serious between a Tj which was going to get built axles or a JL. JL would have been cool but it would been more a mild build and glad I didn't go that route. But when a 05 LJ Rubicon came out of nowhere I quickly jumped on it. I love the storage of the LJ.

I personally love the TJ/LJ platform for its engine and width. However, I do now find I'm wheeling with 90% Jk/JLs on 37+ so the width thing isn't as big of a factor since the trails are all getting wider it feels.

Having owned a very badass 2016 JK Rubicon Hard Rock (2-door) I ended up selling it and coming back to the TJ.

The JK is no doubt better in almost every way, but it just wasn't the same experience. Like many others, I have a love / hate relationship with the TJ. I would never own another Wrangler other than a TJ now, but I still appreciate them.

It's like driving a classic car versus a new car. The new car is better in every way, but it just doesn't have the same soul that the older one does. It's har to put into words, but it's a real thing, I promise.

Had an 08 JK . It had a 6 speed. A lot of hills where I am. I appreciated the gas mileage but didn't care for the lack of power and torque. Sold it and bought a 2001 TJ with the 4.0 and 5 spd. I've had fun adding wheels, tires, bumpers, etc. All around I've just had more fun with the TJ and it just feels more like a Jeep should feel to me.
This is exactly where I’m at.

Having owned a very badass 2016 JK Rubicon Hard Rock (2-door) I ended up selling it and coming back to the TJ.

The JK is no doubt better in almost every way, but it just wasn't the same experience. Like many others, I have a love / hate relationship with the TJ. I would never own another Wrangler other than a TJ now, but I still appreciate them.

It's like driving a classic car versus a new car. The new car is better in every way, but it just doesn't have the same soul that the older one does. It's har to put into words, but it's a real thing, I promise.
Totally agree. And the bonus is that the TJ is still an OBDII vehicle that we can plug a scanner into to help us troubleshoot problems. It’s the perfect blend of classic and modern (not quite modern, but you know..) that allows it to be so simple yet reliable.

Yes, absolutely. I’m torn. I keep thinking, ‘Spring, I’m selling the JKU’ but it’s actually proving to be a decent semi-daily driver. Semi, because I’m currently working from home. If I go back to commuting, the mileage is not much better than my TJ. As far as comfort goes, the space / extra back seating is fantastic, but my TJ rides amazing in comparison. JKU is on 35’s with 3.5” of lift and the TJ on 33’s with 3” of lift. To be fair, the TJ is almost fully restored in terms of moving parts. Maybe that’s why it drives so well? Love the agility and mobility of it. Plus, the peppiness of it. Again, apples to oranges: The TJ is a five speed manual and the JKU an auto.

Reactions: Chris
Yes, absolutely. I’m torn. I keep thinking, ‘Spring, I’m selling the JKU’ but it’s actually proving to be a decent semi-daily driver. Semi, because I’m currently working from home. If I go back to commuting, the mileage is not much better than my TJ. As far as comfort goes, the space / extra back seating is fantastic, but my TJ rides amazing in comparison. JKU is on 35’s with 3.5” of lift and the TJ on 33’s with 3” of lift. To be fair, the TJ is almost fully restored in terms of moving parts. Maybe that’s why it drives so well? Love the agility and mobility of it. Plus, the peppiness of it. Again, apples to oranges: The TJ is a five speed manual and the JKU an auto.
Was the axle gearing addressed in either one?

Was the axle gearing addressed in either one?
The gearing and calibration is up-to-date. I used the AEV calibration tool and it’s running 3.73 gears (JKU) as for my TJ, it’s running 3.73 gears. Both are up to par, in terms of pep, but the TJ is just superior, being smaller and overall a shorter wheelbase.

I like to drive my tj for about a week, then all of it's little quirks start to add up and become tiresome. Then I hop into my JTR and think "holy shit, this is awesome" about a week later I hop back to the tj and think "holy shit, this is fun!". I've never cared for the JKs but like @Fouledplugs said, they nailed it with the Jl/JT platform

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I like to drive my tj for about a week, then all of it's little quirks start to add up and become tiresome. Then I hop into my JTR and think "holy shit, this is awesome" about a week later I hop back to the tj and think "holy shit, this is fun!". I've never cared for the JKs but like @Fouledplugs said, they nailed it with the Jl/JT platform
You know, I was thinking the same thing....that the JL may be ‘the experience’ Im looking for. I absolutely love the way they look right out of the box, with their slightly upgraded wheels. Definitely a great looking Jeep. For sure over the JK. I suspect the Jk will be the bastard generation of wrangler.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
The gearing and calibration is up-to-date. I used the AEV calibration tool and it’s running 3.73 gears (JKU) as for my TJ, it’s running 3.73 gears. Both are up to par, in terms of pep, but the TJ is just superior, being smaller and overall a shorter wheelbase.
You would be surprised if geared correctly. But not knowing is often seen as a good thing

Couldnt agree more. Each of the platforms has its strengths and weaknesses.

You know, I was thinking the same thing....that the JL may be ‘the experience’ Im looking for. I absolutely love the way they look right out of the box, with their slightly upgraded wheels. Definitely a great looking Jeep. For sure over the JK. I suspect the Jk will be the bastard generation of wrangler.
It’s starting to look that way isn’t it 🤣

Couldnt agree more. Each of the platforms has its strengths and weaknesses.
“Not knowing....” to me, is that currently I trust my TJ over the JKU. My TJ is pretty much sorted out, so I’m still building confidence in the JKU. As is, I’ve got to flush the coolant and replace the driveshaft or axle ujoints. Every time the temps drop to 30 degrees or under, I hear angry birds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Flair
My first jeep was a TJ and we sold it to get into our 2015 JKU. I strayed a bit and also picked up a 2010 Trail teams FJ. We picked up a little tj for my daughters first car and eventually traded it in for a 08 JK. With two JK's and an FJ in the garage something just wasn't right, so I sold the FJ and found a rust free 06 Rubicon which I absolutely love. After my early TJ's and a few JK's and even my beloved FJ, I still found myself seeking out a TJ.