TJ Rubicon locker won't fully engage

Onlyajeep

Hi fellow Jeepers!! So my beloved 03 TJ Rubicon has a locker issue. Rear locker light stays flashing. Rear off the ground. Push locker button. Pump runs then shuts off. Ok normal. Go to turn the rear wheels. The turn together. Ok good. Then I had someone hold the opposite wheel on the rear axle. They could hold it as I spin the other tire!!! WTH so it's only partially engaged I'm assuming. Any words of advice on the issue?
Thanks

20200921_142311.jpg

Has your rear axle been regeared within recent history? Or has the rear carrier been removed/reinstalled recently? Is the air compressor staying off once it shuts off after the locker "locks"? Or is the air compressor cycling on-off-on at all?

Has your rear axle been regeared within recent history? Or has the rear carrier been removed/reinstalled recently? Is the air compressor staying off once it shuts off after the locker "locks"? Or is the air compressor cycling on-off-on at all?
Compressor shuts off. Had the cover off. The locking collar moves but doesn't stay engaged. You can push it over it will stay. But if you try to turn the wheels there's a popping noise in the carrier. And it unlockes. What is in the carrier?? I'm assuming spider gears. But how exactly does it lock? Like what exactly engages it to lock it?? I can't find an exploded view of it. It's been a while since the regear. It's been ok. It wasn't happy after the last wheelin trip. I'm assuming I'll need a carrier. I'm guessing it's one unit just add bearings and rear. Or should I go e-locker?

Please answer the two questions asked in the post you responded to.
Ok. Sorry Jerry. I know you are a jeep guru and have been around for ever.
Regear over 5yrs ago. That's the last time the carrier was out.
The compressor shuts off. Does not cycle. Thanks

I'd watch the locker with the diff cover open to see if you can see anything. It sounds like perhaps your engagement isn't fully seating and you should be able to see that happening as you rotate.

Something else quick to do is pulling the axle shafts. Perhaps you have a spline issue or a break.

Ok. Sorry Jerry. I know you are a jeep guru and have been around for ever.
Regear over 5yrs ago. That's the last time the carrier was out.
The compressor shuts off. Does not cycle. Thanks
Sorry, I did not think it would have offended you by asking again if the carrier had been removed/replaced recently. Doing that could cause a problem with the sensor that could hang the locker actuator up.

First of all if your fill plug is too tight it's going to bind on the locker flange.

If it's been regeared there is a high chance they messed up getting the sensor pin ... Which is shaped like a mushroom sort of... Over the locker flange ... And that will create all kinds of weirdness

Degradation of hoses is common both outside the system and inside.

if for some reason you remove the locker and start to play with it don't blast it full of air on the work table... You can mess one up.

I would start with auxiliary air pressure and see what it does...and if you don't have the cover off pull the differential fill plug and you can see a little bit of what's going on.

There is an air hose inside the differential that tends to eventually harden and usually it's the first one to go.

forgive me if I went past anything you've posted I'm just trying to be of help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
First of all if your fill plug is too tight it's going to bind on the locker flange.

If it's been regeared there is a high chance they messed up getting the sensor pin ... Which is shaped like a mushroom sort of... Over the locker flange ... And that will create all kinds of weirdness

Degradation of hoses is common both outside the system and inside.

if for some reason you remove the locker and start to play with it don't blast it full of air on the work table... You can mess one up.

I would start with auxiliary air pressure and see what it does...and if you don't have the cover off pull the differential fill plug and you can see a little bit of what's going on.

There is an air hose inside the differential that tends to eventually harden and usually it's the first one to go.

forgive me if I went past anything you've posted I'm just trying to be of help.

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not think it would have offended you by asking again if the carrier had been removed/replaced recently. Doing that could cause a problem with the sensor that could hang the locker actuator up.
Jerry, let me know if I need to put him on the list to be monitored for bad form.

Chris started a new directive where some people have to wear ankle bracelets... That way we know if they left their home and actually are driving the thing.... That way we can warn people.

• Haha
Reactions: Daryl
No problem. So we are past that part. I had the cover off this morning. I see the actuator move but not fully engaged. Rotate the wheels a little it goes in but still not all the way. If you push on it it locks. But when you turn the wheels it pops out. I think its in the carrier. I just don't know exactly what is going on in there.

Jerry, let me know if I need to put him on the list to be monitored for bad form.

Chris started a new directive where some people have to wear ankle bracelets... That way we know if they left their home and actually are driving the thing.... That way we can warn people.
Lol

You could even have a leaking air bladder in the locker. Dave Kispaugh is very knowledgeable about these things and @Rob5589 also.

If the pump isn't coming back on then it likely isn't an air bladder issue with it leaking. Perhaps its not inflating all the way but it sounds like it's maintaining its pressure.

If the pump isn't coming back on then it likely isn't an air bladder issue with it leaking. Perhaps its not inflating all the way but it sounds like it's maintaining its pressure.
Yes. Also seems like something in the carrier is pushing it out or the lock ring is bad? I don't know exactly how it works. What is in the carrier that locks? Even if I pull it apart. There are almost no parts for it. So I think it's time for a new locker. Oh also when I pulled the cover to see what was going on. There was metal build-up on the magnet. I'm 95% sure it's from the locker. I run 35s and regeared. She get used.

Don't pull it apart yet

While it's in there engage the pump with the cover open and have someone spin the wheel and watch the locker to see if there is any wobble of the engagement plate. I do wonder if something is blocking the engagement from happening 100%.

I'd also listen for noises as with the fluid out it should be much easier to see if you have a problem.