TJ Rubicon vs. TJ Sport or X?

I have a nice clean 02 sport auto/air ( yellow!) and I thought I was going to upgrade later to a 05-06 Rubi just because, but reading this and similar threads have convinced me to keep and sort this one out better since I got it cheap. Great info here!

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
Did you say the Rubi has a long arm lift? You'll be stuck with that since all the factory arm brackets will have been cut off. If the Sport has a rear Dana 44 that would be my choice.

post a picture of this ^^^

I'll get a photo tomorrow, but it clearly had a piston head and clutch mechanism (switch in the Jeep) to engage the clutch and the compressor, then had heavy rubber tubing routed under the radiator to near the front bumper with an air fitting visible.

Did you say the Rubi has a long arm lift? You'll be stuck with that since all the factory arm brackets will have been cut off. If the Sport has a rear Dana 44 that would be my choice.

If the Sport had the Dana 44 rear, we wouldn't be having this thread, I would have bought it already.....LOL

The long arm lift is both a blessing and a curse, thanks for pointing that out. My son and I do want to take this rig to Moab next year, but we are likely not going to get too technical on the rocks. Hence my desire for Dana 44's and 35" tires.

Ok, this calls for more data...LOL.

The 06 Rubi has full skid plates (a few scratches and rubs) but an annoying red bra like material on the hood and front fender tips (must come off). The winch, front bumper, air compressor, trail shower heat exchange, and bead locks must go and the tires need replaced. The removals cost nothing except for some new heater hoses. I might even be able to sell the front bumper, winch and compressor. The rear bumper and wilderness rack also must go.

Now none of the work scares me, its just my free time anyway. I might get a few bucks on selling a few of these accessories that are nice, but they are not what I want anyway and was planning on new wheels, tires, bumpers and winch. The long arm lift sounds good, but not sure about how good the shocks are since it an older lift.

03 Sport is clean and straight, 80k miles, the tires are in good shape, but my plan was for 35's not 33's so they would go. The oil leak is not concerning jut extra $$. local Jeep shop wants $800 for rear main, oil pan and valve cover gaskets and oil change. the 2003 is a three speed transmission, not four as I actually posted by accident.
2001? :)

Anyway, another plus to the 4-speed auto is you can add an Advance Adapters Rubicrawler, which is in essence a doubler, to turn it into a higher-speed 4-low off roader, for flats, washes, sand dunes, etc., plus adding 2-high to the transfer case options. You then have all the attributes of the 231 AND 241OR transfer case.

I got lucky. My 03 Sport came with a rear Dana 44 and rear disc brakes. At the time of purchase I didn't even think to look.
I ran Moab a few years ago on a 3" lift and 33's and was able to hit most of the trails with no drama.

X2
On the 35s. I bought a rubicon with 35s and a 4.75 inch suspension lift and 1.25 BL. I kept the BL and went to an OME 2.5 suspension and 33 inch tires. There is lots of work in all of that and I could not have achieved the same result without the patient assistance from knowledgeable members of this forum. If you buy a jeep that is already lifted be ready to redo the considerable setup work.

From the grave.
OP what did you end up getting?
Thanks for asking. I completely had forgotten about this thread. I ended up purchasing a bone stock 2003 Wrangler X. Since purchasing it, I have nearly updated everything on this Jeep since purchasing it. The list is amazingly long, but here goes - valve cover, valve cover gasket, rear main seal, fuel rail, fuel injectors, spark plugs, coil rail, O2 sensors, heater hoses, vacuum lines, battery cables, front rotor and pads, rear drums and shoes, front and rear diff covers, shocks, coils (2" Rock Krawler lift), track bars (front and rear) sway bar (rear), steering kit (CurrieSync), front/rear upper/lower adjustable control arm, 1" body lift, new aftermarket hardtop, Bartact seat covers, new carpeting (after sanding and spray painting tub interior), new BFG 33" KO2's tires, Mickey Thompson chrome wheels, Tuff stuff front and rear bumpers, 13k Tuff Stuff winch (synthetic rope), Tuff Stuff rear bumper tire carrier, Tough Guard hood deflector, Banks Performance cat back exhaust, Insane Audio system, Smittybilt chrome side steps, and Warrior product side armor. This Jeep has zero rust on or under it. I also serviced and replaced all fluids and filters (fuel, engine, air, transmission, transfer case, front and rear diffs).

I have one significant project left to do. I need to replace the leaking heater core and have decided that if I'm going to dig that far into the bowels of the Jeep, I am also going to replace the evaporator core, blower motor, resistors, and vacuum lines. I have all the parts in the garage, just waiting for the inspiration to strike me to begin!

Here are three pics, one before and two after.

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg

IMG_1140.jpeg

PS. I forgot about the Omix chrome grill cover, clear side markers and turn signals with amber bulbs, and the Smittybilt hood latches.....

Last edited:
Thanks for asking. I completely had forgotten about this thread. I ended up purchasing a bone stock 2003 Wrangler X. Since purchasing it, I have nearly updated everything on this Jeep since purchasing it. The list is amazingly long, but here goes - valve cover, valve cover gasket, rear main seal, fuel rail, fuel injectors, spark plugs, coil rail, O2 sensors, heater hoses, vacuum lines, battery cables, front rotor and pads, rear drums and shoes, front and rear diff covers, shocks, coils (2" Rock Krawler lift), track bars (front and rear) sway bar (rear), steering kit (CurrieSync), front/rear upper/lower adjustable control arm, 1" body lift, new aftermarket hardtop, Bartact seat covers, new carpeting (after sanding and spray painting tub interior), new BFG 33" KO2's tires, Mickey Thompson chrome wheels, Tuff stuff front and rear bumpers, 13k Tuff Stuff winch (synthetic rope), Tuff Stuff rear bumper tire carrier, Tough Guard hood deflector, Banks Performance cat back exhaust, Insane Audio system, Smittybilt chrome side steps, and Warrior product side armor. This Jeep has zero rust on or under it. I also serviced and replaced all fluids and filters (fuel, engine, air, transmission, transfer case, front and rear diffs).

I have one significant project left to do. I need to replace the leaking heater core and have decided that if I'm going to dig that far into the bowels of the Jeep, I am also going to replace the evaporator core, blower motor, resistors, and vacuum lines. I have all the parts in the garage, just waiting for the inspiration to strike me to begin!

Here are three pics, one before and two after.

View attachment 180497

View attachment 180498

View attachment 180508
Like the hard top... what manufacturer? How do you like it? Rear bumper is excellent too!

I purchased the new hardtop from a company called Camper King www.camperkingusa.com nice fitting top, not OEM but it was priced the lower than local 20 year old skanky looking used tops, so I bit the bullet and bought one.

The rear bumper is from Tuff Stuff Overland, PM me for more info and links to the less than $500 bumper and tire carrier.

05-06 used a OPDA that had some failures. It is easily replaced with an improved design. They also have been known to have PCM failulres. This also has a fix available.
Thanks! I'm in a similar dilemma to the original Op. I have a Sport now that I'm looking at either a super 35 kit or a G2 axel swap geared to 4.56 and adding an air locker. For the price of upgrading my sport I could sell and buy a rubicon that's already on 35's and is in a little better condition then my current ride. Going back and forth of what's the better option? In the last 3 months I've spent 28 days off road in Colorado. Started on "green" trails and have worked up to some of the easier reds. Haven't needed lockers or bigger tires yet but I will want them at some point. I already lifted it once wish I would have gone higher. I'm 50/50 on buying the Rubicon or building what I already have

Thanks! I'm in a similar dilemma to the original Op. I have a Sport now that I'm looking at either a super 35 kit or a G2 axel swap geared to 4.56 and adding an air locker. For the price of upgrading my sport I could sell and buy a rubicon that's already on 35's and is in a little better condition then my current ride. Going back and forth of what's the better option? In the last 3 months I've spent 28 days off road in Colorado. Started on "green" trails and have worked up to some of the easier reds. Haven't needed lockers or bigger tires yet but I will want them at some point. I already lifted it once wish I would have gone higher. I'm 50/50 on buying the Rubicon or building what I already have
That's always a tough dilemma. In many cases it is cheaper to buy than build. Although it always depends on who did what. If somebody just took a Rubi, lifted it, and slapped on some 35's you might be getting yourself an expensive headache with a lot more $ needed to get it right. Also keep in mind that Rubicon locker parts have not been made in a while and the used parts are selling for a premium. Get some info and picture (especially underneath) and post up a thread. There are plenty of folks who will give an honest opinion, some more brutally than others. : )

you might be getting yourself an expensive headache with a lot more $ needed to get it right. Also keep in mind that Rubicon locker parts have not been made in a while and the used parts are selling for a premium.
Was thinking about that too. If I get a G2 axel with ARBs there will be some warrantee stuff. Nothing like that on a 16yo vehicle. Going to go look at the Rubi tomorrow. My body has some dents and scrapes but a lot of the trails I've been on will take paint (Colorado pinstripes). Body in better condition still wont last long. If I'm still on fence after test drive I'll post pics tomorrow.

Reactions: 06lj
The Rubicon package doesn't offer much, be careful. I highly doubt you could sell your Jeep and get a Rubicon for less than the cost of a Super35 kit, lockers and a whole lot more. The Rubicon is almost always a poor choice to start a build, the lockers are weak, the gears aren't right for just about anything, the transfer case is heavy and so is the front axle. The only thing it has is a cool decal on the hood and the ability to run 5.38 gears. Unless you are getting a really good deal I'd stick with what you've got.

Reactions: inkedrose
I like what you have. It seems to fit what you like to do. Drop in a Detroit locker or a reduction in the T-Case and keep wheeling it. If you break an axel, upgrade them.

Reactions: inkedrose