TJ seat foam

Perfect timing as I have heated seat pads waiting to go in. I was just planning on trying a local shop.

Thanks for the links! Ordered and should be here next week!

Last edited:
I just did this - and while it's technically not hard, it is a PITA. Except sore hands and lots of cussing. Especially if you've never done it - as I hadn't.

Now - in fairness to Rick, I did not remove the hog rings, I just slid the metal rods out, took off the old fabric, and slide them back into the rings.

Depends on your skill level i guess. A pair of needle nose pliers and a few beers made it one of the easiest jobs I've done to the tj. Remove the hog rings.trust me it is the only way to go

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I ordered a set of hog ring pliers. Looking at some videos looks like
Take pic of rod and ring placment
Remove the above
Swap foam
Crimp in the rod and new rings
??

Took 10min to pull the old foam with some good snips.

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0955.jpeg

Regarding the seat bushings, the info on the Summit site is confusing, and I’m ignorant of the details. Is that kit for one seat or two? In the fitment info, it mentions only the drivers seat. Does the passenger seat not have the same bushings?

i asked and Summit confirmed the bushing kit is for both seats.

if you buy them, learn from my mistake and purchase with the seat foam so shipping is free. I tried to add later same day and they said they couldn't do it. shipping cost half of what the bushings cost (seems like a lot for a small, lightweight item and ground shipping)

Man, I upgraded to '07 seats and Wet Okole seat covers a couple years ago because original foam was NLA and I didn't trust the local shops around me to make a quality replacement.
I was worried my seats were going to look like they had suffered a stroke.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman

@Kevo1966 thanks for sharing! I've been looking into upgrading my old seats and hesitant to go with the other options since many of the alternatives meant pulling seats from other old beaters, and many aftermarket options limit the tilt/slide function. 300K miles supporting a 250-lb frame will definitely do in a stock seat cushion. I've got my order in.

i asked and Summit confirmed the bushing kit is for both seats.

if you buy them, learn from my mistake and purchase with the seat foam so shipping is free. I tried to add later same day and they said they couldn't do it. shipping cost half of what the bushings cost (seems like a lot for a small, lightweight item and ground shipping)

Summit shipping is not to be trifled with. There's a summit about an hour from me, and if I can verify they have it in stock, it's usually worth the trip. Even after gas & tolls I come out slightly ahead, plus I don't have to wait for their hella slow shipping. They give Rock Auto a run for their money.

Summit shipping is not to be trifled with. There's a summit about an hour from me, and if I can verify they have it in stock, it's usually worth the trip. Even after gas & tolls I come out slightly ahead, plus I don't have to wait for their hella slow shipping. They give Rock Auto a run for their money.

Mine already shipped and said it should be here Monday. I ordered today. I have always quick shipping from summit. Ironically I also ordered some bearings from rockauto today and they also shipped same day 😆.

Mine already shipped and said it should be here Monday. I ordered today. I have always quick shipping from summit. Ironically I also ordered some bearings from rockauto today and they also shipped same day 😆.

Quick: should we buy bitcoin or sell bitcoin right now? I trust only you in this moment.

I just did this - and while it's technically not hard, it is a PITA. Except sore hands and lots of cussing. Especially if you've never done it - as I hadn't.

Now - in fairness to Rick, I did not remove the hog rings, I just slid the metal rods out, took off the old fabric, and slide them back into the rings.

When I had my 1967 GTA Mustang Convertible, before I got my Wrangler, I restored the interior with OEM kits. They actually made kits for both the front and rear, in all the original colors. It looked awesome, and it lasted more than ten years because it was all thick vinyl. Unfortunately, our Wranglers never made Kit type OEM replacements. My classic Mustang had OEM kits for the carpet, door panels, kick panels, and every part imaginable, it is was fairly reasonably priced back in the '90's. You could completely restore your interior to look brand new. My hands were shredded for weeks afterwards, using those hog nose clips and pliers, but it looked so nice. This option wasn't available on my '97 Wrangler, so I had to take it to an upholstery shop. But, the results were just as nice. I miss my Mustang as I sold it cheap, when I brought my Wrangler in 1997. But, it was restored, as I've been trying to do to my Wrangler.

Took 10min to pull the old foam with some good snips.

View attachment 511573

View attachment 511574

You can cut the old hog rings but it really is easy to use needle nose pliers to expand them and remove. Don't try to remove the rods or anything. Needlenose will crimp the hog rings back in but hog ring pliers are best. Super easy job i swear

You can cut the old hog rings but it really is easy to use needle nose pliers to expand them and remove. Don't try to remove the rods or anything. Needlenose will crimp the hog rings back in but hog ring pliers are best. Super easy job i swear

I did find cutting the rings to be easier, but I also had extra rings handy as well as a set of ring pliers. That said, pretty sure it took me longer to get the seat out of the Jeep than it did to free the foam when I repaired mine last summer. Speaking of foam...

Ordered mine on Thursday, would appear to be loading for delivery today (Saturday). Might be a one-off but that's better than Amz usually manages with their Prime delivery. Cold and rainy today so installation won't be happening but I'll post some photos and first impressions of the piece.

Reactions: Rickyd and sab
Looks like you need to get to $120 or so to get free shipping. I got drivers foam, the seat repair kit and spark plugs to get over. The 3D printed ones keep falling off.

Ordered mine on Thursday, would appear to be loading for delivery today (Saturday). Might be a one-off but that's better than Amz usually manages with their Prime delivery. Cold and rainy today so installation won't be happening but I'll post some photos and first impressions of the piece.

Here ya go boys...

First is a shot of my old foam for reference when I pulled it last summer for repair. Doesn't look too bad from that angle but the foam was breaking down and cut deeply from the underside by the metal seat frame.

IMG_20230701_134930_01a.jpg

Now for the new shit...packaging seems plenty good for a block of foam, wrapped in heavy plastic, well protected. Foam feels like it's pretty resilient and looks like the original in form and size (going from memory here). Even came with some new hog rings for installation.

IMG_20240323_113716602.jpg

IMG_20240323_113545660.jpg

IMG_20240323_113830442.jpg

IMG_20240323_114125874.jpg

IMG_20240323_114134412.jpg

IMG_20240323_114146530.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a way to weigh the old vs new, once you take the seats apart, that is a good indicator of foam quality…

Reactions: Rickyd