TJ seat foam

I just ordered some new seat bottoms for mine. I've steamed them already and done some repair. I'm taking it on a 500'ish mile trip soon, so figured now would be a good time for replacing the seat bottoms.

You'll thank yourself for doing this. I repaired mine many months ago by cutting out the dead foam and gluing in fresh pieces and, while it was much better, the difference to the new Summit foam is night and day.

Y'all convinced me... Ordered my set of foam.

I have seat heaters to go in this summer and figure 'while I'm there'... Took some convincing for the wife but she just rolled her eyes and agreed.

Hoping this euphoric moment will be felt with the new foam for her — or not but it'll be there... 🍻

I have to remove the seat to replace a burned out Bartact seat warmer and the bottom Bartact seat cover that tore at one of the seams (Bartact replaced at no cost) so might as well replace the foam while I have the seat out.

Someone mentioned replacing the foam, leaving the OE seat fabric off and simply reinstalling just the Bartact seat cover over the new foam.

Yay or nay?

I have to remove the seat to replace a burned out Bartact seat warmer and the bottom Bartact seat cover that tore at one of the seams (Bartact replaced at no cost) so might as well replace the foam while I have the seat out.

Someone mentioned replacing the foam, leaving the OE seat fabric off and simply reinstalling just the Bartact seat cover over the new foam.

Yay or nay?

yes, I read that as well. That is my plan too - leave off the old cover

Reactions: MikekiM
Why? Takes 5min to put back on, helps keep the foam in place, it’s not hard to put Bartacts over the seat cover either.
You're not wrong.. Just gave momentary thought to why have the OE on. Redundant. My seat warmers are applied to the inside of the Bartact so the OE seat cover is doing nothing.

After giving some overnight thought, I am going to put the OE on. There are a few spots on the back of the seat where the OE cover peeks through... seeing foam would look silly.

Reactions: red02tj
You're not wrong.. Just gave momentary thought to why have the OE on. Redundant. My seat warmers are applied to the inside of the Bartact so the OE seat cover is doing nothing.

After giving some overnight thought, I am going to put the OE on. There are a few spots on the back of the seat where the OE cover peeks through... seeing foam would look silly.

What I haven't seen mentioned is that the bartacs don't have the bars for hog rings, correct? You would loose the ability to keep the "bolsters" seperated in the seat if you didn't put the OE covers back on. Might not be a big deal, but its something else to consider.

Reactions: FarFire70 and Irun
What I haven't seen mentioned is that the bartacs don't have the bars for hog rings, correct? You would loose the ability to keep the "bolsters" seperated in the seat if you didn't put the OE covers back on. Might not be a big deal, but its something else to consider.
You are correct.

I'm am going to install the OE covers. No real upside other than a few minutes of work to reinstall.

Reactions: Irun and Mike_H
Got the driver's seat foam installed over the weekend. Saving you the boring pictures. Also ran the upholstery through the washing machine. Yes, you can, just have to be careful. Feels, looks, and smells, lol, great.

Reactions: Irun
Why? Takes 5min to put back on, helps keep the foam in place, it’s not hard to put Bartacts over the seat cover either.

1. I'm lazy
2. The seat cover is in really sad shape
3. However, it is the OEM seat covers that keep the foam attached to the seat frame. I saved the torn up OEM covers and if it gets to be a problem, I'll take the seats and covers to a nearby upholstery shop to make new covers and reinstall.

If I was to do this again, I'd attach the covers to the foam, install the foam/cover and reattach,

Last edited:
i removed and repaired mine seats (late model) - removed the covers taking care to note how the metal rods were attached; hosed off the OEM seat covers a few times before two cycles in the washing machine with fabric softener to remove PO smells and dust as well as to make them smell nice (lasted a week) - whilst waiting a day for the covers to try, i steamed the foam which did bring some of their original shape back, repaired the lower seat foam with spray adhesive (so much easier then using the tin and brush whish hardens too quickly), added canvas over the underside of the foam where they rested on the rails as well as added a few thin layers on the sides of the lower cushion for more support from the driver - fairly cheap to do but took two days (one per seat as I am rather OCD when working in my TJ), hope that this helps

Reactions: lBasket