TJ Shopping: Need Advice

HuskerJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Hey everyone, new member here. I've been lurking for a while, reading everything I could since I'm in the market for my first Jeep.

Since I'm in Nebraska, I'm paying extra attention to frame rust since we use tons of salt & brine on our roads. I've driven a few TJ's already, and I'd like your expert opinion on this latest one. Here are some pics of the frame. I have my opinions, but I'd like to hear yours. I am in no hurry at all, just want to make the best purchase I can.

This is a 2001 Sport, 60th Anniversary edition, silver.

Thanks guys.

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

Is this one of the better ones in your area? Looks like a LOT of rust. Lots of surface rust but some on the frame looks bad. If you can and you might need to ask if you can thump on it with a small hammer. You will know quickly how deep the rust goes.

That frame isn't going to break in half anytime soon, but I wouldn't spend any money on a TJ that has already seen a significant amount of salt. I would feel comfortable driving it around but I certainly wouldn't buy it.

Reactions: Kevin E
Is this one of the better ones in your area? Looks like a LOT of rust. Lots of surface rust but some on the frame looks bad. If you can and you might need to ask if you can thump on it with a small hammer. You will know quickly how deep the rust goes.
I'll be more than happy to take your money and send pics of my Jeep to show your friends. only joking. Go to car-max get one from NM or TX shipped 4 about 400.00

Reactions: Fixer6 and Kevin E
You guys are fast...No, I wouldn't say that's one of the better ones in the area. It's the worst of the ones I've looked at so far, so I was just trying to gauge how bad you thought it was. Seemed like a lot of surface rust to me, but my sample size is pretty low.

I've certainly looked in other areas of the country, and I haven't ruled that out either. Would be more coordination to do that, so I'm starting in this area first.

Reactions: Kevin E
You guys are fast...No, I wouldn't say that's one of the better ones in the area. It's the worst of the ones I've looked at so far, so I was just trying to gauge how bad you thought it was. Seemed like a lot of surface rust to me, but my sample size is pretty low.

I've certainly looked in other areas of the country, and I haven't ruled that out either. Would be more coordination to do that, so I'm starting in this area first.

Be careful when looking at TJ frames. The outside of the frame is only useful as an indicator towards what the inside of the frame might look like. If the outside of the frame has heavy surface rust, that is an instant red flag. Even if the outside of the frame has 0 rust, you have to check to make sure the inside of the frame isn't rusting away. The unfortunate reality is that 95% of TJ's that have been driven in winter salt will have some sort of internal frame issues.

I would recommend searching areas that don't use salt. For example, if you find an Arizona Jeep that has been in Arizona since it was new, I wouldn't be afraid of buying it sight unseen as long as the miles are fairly reasonable.

Out of curiosity what are you looking for in a Jeep? Stock? Already modded? Certain year model? You have a lot of experience in this forum so the more info you can give the better the outcome.

Good hunting!

Be careful when looking at TJ frames. The outside of the frame is only useful as an indicator towards what the inside of the frame might look like. If the outside of the frame has heavy surface rust, that is an instant red flag. Even if the outside of the frame has 0 rust, you have to check to make sure the inside of the frame isn't rusting away. The unfortunate reality is that 95% of TJ's that have been driven in winter salt will have some sort of internal frame issues.

I would recommend searching areas that don't use salt. For example, if you find an Arizona Jeep that has been in Arizona since it was new, I wouldn't be afraid of buying it sight unseen as long as the miles are fairly reasonable.

Good points, you're making me reconsider one about 2 hours away that came from AZ.

Thanks guys.

I'd say for the most part that Jeep doesn't look too bad. I'm even surprised that there is no build up of rust between the frame and the skid plate. Of course I wouldn't trust that frame without sticking my finger in every hole to see what's inside and lightly tapping around with a light hammer to listen for lower pitched quieter sounds. The lower the pitch and the quieter the sound anywhere on the frame pretty much means more rust in that area.

Out of curiosity what are you looking for in a Jeep? Stock? Already modded? Certain year model? You have a lot of experience in this forum so the more info you can give the better the outcome.

Good hunting!

Looking for a non-DD, although we wouldn't be doing any serious rock crawling either. Basically something to run around town in, do some light trails, maybe something like the Alpine Loop or some trails in the Badlands. We have to drive quite a few hours to get anywhere decent around here, so that's a factor (cruise would be nice). Both our DD's are 4x4/AWD, so we don't need another vehicle for snow and my guess is it'll sit during salt/snow events.

I'd prefer near stock, or a small lift if it already has one. As for years, first choice is a '03-'04 Rubicon, but I'm very open to anything '97-'04 Sport or Sahara. I don't have a preference manual vs. auto, although I know there are benefits to each I don't think the type of off-road stuff I will do will make much difference. Ideally, I'd skip the '99-'02 years because of the heads cracking, but if I find a great TJ with everything I like and it's in that range, then I can handle replacing the head if need be. While I understand there are two camps of people on the OPDA issue, I'm just going to make it easy on myself and skip the '05-'06.

And I'm not in a hurry, so that helps.

Good points, you're making me reconsider one about 2 hours away that came from AZ.

Thanks guys.
Arizona is a hotbed of good Jeeps... At this stage of the TJ Market there's no reason to purchase a Jeep with rust ... a ton of these vehicles were sold and they are still everywhere.

Hey all, thanks for all the advice on my first question above. I've looked at several more, almost flying down to Austin yesterday to get one but it didn't work out.

Anyway, I have actually found a very nice one locally, and the frame looks realy good, but I would like your opinion on 2 things on the engine.

1. Engine Noise

I uploaded a couple short videos to YouTube for you to listen to. Since you guys have heard way more 4.0's than I have, can you tell me if you hear anything out of the norm? I feel like there was a little extra noise, more of a low tone swishing sound that I hadn't heard on the others. It's pretty evident at the start of the second video below and is louder on the passenger side of the motor, and louder from underneath as well. At 13 & 30 seconds on the second video, it's pretty clear.

2. Rear Main Seal?
See the photo below - rear main seal leak? He just replaced the valve cover gasket, so I suppose it's possible that this is residual from that, but it looks fairly fresh to me.
IMG_1551.jpg

Thanks guys.

Sounds like a lifter tick.

Rear main seals leak pretty often on 4.0's.

clean from the valve covers down to the bottom of the block and see if the leak continues. Not a reason to walk away...most have them and this one if it is a rms leak is very small and would not worry about it.
as far as the noise, most have a lifter tick but unless your recording is amplifying it, might possibly be an exhaust leak.

Yeah sounds a bit more like an exhaust leak, but it's really hard to tell. Could also be a lifter tick. Does the noise go away or change when you rev it? And that's a typical rear main leak.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I let that one go, he got an offer higher than I wanted to be at anyway.

Good to hear the opinions on that noise though. To me, it seemed to be separate from the lifters ticking, I'll be on the lookout for that on the next one for sure.