TJ sucks in the snow—are these tires not meant for the snow?

TJs are like the duct tape of motor vehicles. They are not great at anything, but adequate at a whole lot of things.

Think about it:
Street driving - It can, but a crossover is better
Freeway driving - It can, but a CORVETTE is better
Snow driving - It can, but an AWD is better
Desert road racing - It can, but a Raptor is better
Forest trail racing - It can, but a Polaris Rzr is better
Rock crawling - It can, but a custom buggy is better
Hauling gear - It can, but a pickup truck is better
Hauling family - It can, but a minivan is better
City parking - It can, but a Fiesta is better
Mud bogging - It can, but a monster truck is better
Topless driving - It can, but a convertible is better
Collision or rollover survival - It can, but a modern SUV is better
Pulling a trailer - It can, but a pickup truck is better
Looking cool - It can, but a YJ is better
Pulling stumps - It can, but a tractor is better

But name another vehicle that can do all of that adequately. And that’s the beauty of a TJ.

Fixed your obvious lack of judgement :p;)

• Haha
Reactions: Modoc Guy and pc1p
Nice Ramcharger.....
Fun obstacle.
I have done that obstacle numerous times in my XJ.
Can't take credit for that one - here's mine though:
IMG_9108.jpg

Here it is on 35"s - I'm actually going back to 35"s since it's a bit too tall on 37"s for the family to comfortably get in and out of, plus this will be used as a tow rig for the TJ when the time comes. That said, she's got lockers front and rear and will be wheeled as well :)

IMG_8679.JPG

TJs are like the duct tape of motor vehicles. They are not great at anything, but adequate at a whole lot of things.

Think about it:
Street driving - It can, but a crossover is better
Freeway driving - It can, but a Mustang is better
Snow driving - It can, but an AWD is better
Desert road racing - It can, but a Raptor is better
Forest trail racing - It can, but a Polaris Rzr is better
Rock crawling - It can, but a custom buggy is better
Hauling gear - It can, but a pickup truck is better
Hauling family - It can, but a minivan is better
City parking - It can, but a Fiesta is better
Mud bogging - It can, but a monster truck is better
Topless driving - It can, but a convertible is better
Collision or rollover survival - It can, but a modern SUV is better
Pulling a trailer - It can, but a pickup truck is better
Looking cool - It can, but a YJ is better * * BULLSHIT * *
Pulling stumps - It can, but a tractor is better

But name another vehicle that can do all of that adequately. And that’s the beauty of a TJ.
There is only 1 that I don't agree with & call Bullshit .................. 🤮

All this snow reminds me of the last time I drove a Jeep back in the east coast during a Nor'easter - it was a few days before tax day of 2005. It was a Wednesday - I remember that because it was also $0.25 Wing Night at the Bear Ass Bar in the next town over and we never missed wing night :)

View attachment 211280

A fresh 14" of wet snow made for some fun recoveries (I was the person everyone called to snatch them out of a ditch - including a few professors!). I went to college at Mansfield University, in north-central PA - which is a state school where you can literally walk or drive to school uphill both ways. It was treacherous driving around town and even worse on campus. I got to the point where the school cops would let me park in front of their building since they learned that I used to help people stuck at night or when the tow trucks were too busy to help.

Here's a shot of the (In)Famous "Cardiac Hill" - the dorms are at the bottom (including the one I stayed in for a year) and the parking lots are ~1/2 mile behind where this photo was taken. This hill is insane - to the point where you can't even sled down it otherwise you'll end up crashing into a guardrail or missing the guardrail entirely and then taking a tumble down 2 sets of concrete steps.

View attachment 211283

I ran M/T's for my entire life of living and driving in NEPA. It takes some practice and skill but speed was (and remains) the biggest issue for people. The best advice:

Slow. The F*$%. Down.

That said, now that I'm on the southwestern side of the country, I enjoy my wife's AWD cars and ridiculously sipped snow tires. I honestly didn't even realize our Outback had stability control until we almost got stuck with it. In this instance, we broke through the 7" of fresh powder, we hit 2" of mud below it). You can see the muddy tracks below - nothing a bit of wheel speed (and turning off traction control!) couldn't get us out of :)

View attachment 211286

The low COG, wheelbase, width and smooth AWD makes even mediocre drivers into snow-drifting rally driving kings! ;)

Nice XJ. (y) I love driving mine in the winter. It's an '89 Limited. I got a '90 Laredo new in 1990 and with no modifications at all to it I enjoyed it year round for 5 years which included a lot of ski trips. This was on a weekend skating trip a few years ago and although not the greatest "snow shot" ... man was it cold!

18-02-10 2.jpg

I did commercial snow plowing during the early to mid '70s in a '69 CJ. I can't remember what tires were on it, only that they were skinny, and I also can't remember ever getting stuck or even to where I had to go. This one isn't mine but it is identical to it. It had a white metal half cab a doors which were supplied by Meyers, same as the plow. It was a blast!

1969 - CJ5.png

There is only 1 that I don't agree with & call Bullshit .................. 🤮
It's true - we all know MB's and early CJ's are the coolest looking rigs ;)

Nice XJ. (y) I love driving mine in the winter. It's an '89 Limited. I got a '90 Laredo new in 1990 and with no modifications at all to it I enjoyed it year round for 5 years which included a lot of ski trips. This was on a weekend skating trip a few years ago and although not the greatest "snow shot" ... man was it cold!

I did commercial snow plowing during the early to mid '70s in a '69 CJ. I can't remember what tires were on it, only that they were skinny, and I also can't remember ever getting stuck or even to where I had to go. This one isn't mine but it is identical to it. It had a white metal half cab a doors which were supplied by Meyers, same as the plow. It was a blast!
Haven't had an XJ in a long time but I do like them - I liked them even when everybody hated them. I will admit though, I didn't appreciate them at first. In 1993, my mom was supposed to get a new car and she really wanted a YJ. She went out with my dad and came home with...

...an emerald green XJ 😢

I hated it.

I had visions of me (eventually) and Chuck Norris driving on the beach together with our tops off, pulling up to the water mark and throwing out some poles at the ocean, and generally doing cool Wrangler stuff. The emerald green XJ was the antithesis of that. But, after I got my first RamCharger (a '78 SE), I began to see the practicality of the XJ. We were living in rural NEPA and the XJ was amazing in the snow with its full-time 4x4 and skinny M+S snow tires.

I've built a handful of cars in HS and early college - I even had a lucrative "flipping" side hustle with my old man (we used to buy the cheap trade-in K-cars at his dealership and flip them). When I ended up selling my hotrods and the RamCharger, an XJ was quite appealing and the practicality won me over. I had it for a few years and it even drove us across the country after graduating to start our life in AZ:

59051923_2210693165673436_1447457811872088064_o.jpg

Reactions: CharlesHS and PCO6
It's true - we all know MB's and early CJ's are the coolest looking rigs ;)

Haven't had an XJ in a long time but I do like them - I liked them even when everybody hated them. I will admit though, I didn't appreciate them at first. In 1993, my mom was supposed to get a new car and she really wanted a YJ. She went out with my dad and came home with...

...an emerald green XJ 😢

I hated it.

I had visions of me (eventually) and Chuck Norris driving on the beach together with our tops off, pulling up to the water mark and throwing out some poles at the ocean, and generally doing cool Wrangler stuff. The emerald green XJ was the antithesis of that. But, after I got my first RamCharger (a '78 SE), I began to see the practicality of the XJ. We were living in rural NEPA and the XJ was amazing in the snow with its full-time 4x4 and skinny M+S snow tires.

I've built a handful of cars in HS and early college - I even had a lucrative "flipping" side hustle with my old man (we used to buy the cheap trade-in K-cars at his dealership and flip them). When I ended up selling my hotrods and the RamCharger, an XJ was quite appealing and the practicality won me over. I had it for a few years and it even drove us across the country after graduating to start our life in AZ:

View attachment 211347

When I retired 8 years ago about now I had to hand in my Mercedes E320 company car. It was a rocket for its time and very good in the snow too.

I replaced the M-B with an '03 TJ. I had a '95 bare bones project XJ 2 dr. at the time and my wife was NOT impressed. She should have known I might get another Jeep. When I got the '90 XJ new her only request was that I NOT get one with "wood on the side". I honoured that but I'd love to have one now just to bug her.

Your XJ looks great! For a while I was looking for a 4 dr. that I could modify for overlanding. I've resisted modifying my very original '90 2 dr. (above) but I'm now more open to it. Two doors for that purpose aren't the best but I'd like to show it can be done half decently.

Was discussing this with the wife last night. Said that if we need to go anywhere we will take her Audi Q5. She did not get it so I told her the TJ would be fine for ME in the snow b/c I know how to drive in it in a RWD, light vehicle. On the other hand it would scare the H-E-DoubleHockeySticks out of her because we WOULD be sliding all over the place. The nannies in most modern technology cars drive the car for us and make us think that we are better drivers than we really are.

I had a '17 JKU Rubicon Recon - the thing was virtually indestructible and would climb up a wall but it needed NO skill to drive it. The TJ is more my speed - shortest wheelbase vehicle I have ever owned - practically sitting on top of the rear axle! But you have to DRIVE it, not just hold on to the steering wheel and hit the appropriate button for the given road conditions.

Don't get me wrong; I LOVED the Recon - still kicking myself for trading it in but the TJ is going to be aLOT more fun in the long run (just going to have to trade in the Q5 for another JKU or JLU for the wife).

I was tooling around yesterday on the Ranch in 5-6 inches of snow on my KO2's without a care. Not packed snow with ice underneath though. I think I'd rather run my Dodge 2500 diesel out on the icy stuff, but very slowly and carefully.

I lived in Reno as a kid for a while, and our snow driving training was "Don't do ANYTHING fast" Those who didn't heed that tip paid the price!

Was discussing this with the wife last night. Said that if we need to go anywhere we will take her Audi Q5. She did not get it so I told her the TJ would be fine for ME in the snow b/c I know how to drive in it in a RWD, light vehicle. On the other hand it would scare the H-E-DoubleHockeySticks out of her because we WOULD be sliding all over the place. The nannies in most modern technology cars drive the car for us and make us think that we are better drivers than we really are.
That reminds me of the first time I took the Wife to Tahoe in my '66 Falcon Ranchero. It rained going up, but snowed a couple feet over night. That made driving home without chains (I was a broke kid then) a real treat! Made it without a hitch. Just followed the golden snow rule, don't do anything fast!

Always put the tire chains on the rear axle if you are only doing one axle. Putting them on the front and not the rear can change the stability from an understeered setup to an oversteered setup, meaning in a loss of control you would spin out instead of just sliding and being able to correct it. Tire chains on all four tires will provide the best overall performance.
Can I ask a question: I don't "drive" in snow on the streets here in Nor Cal but I do hit the mountains on FS roads. I've always chained up the fronts, using 4x4 while breaking trails. Would I fair better chaining up the rears ? ( only 1 set of chains )

A modestly built pop-top RamCharger (my personal choice), K5 or Bronco :)

Until the TJ came around (and these died out!) these were the "King of Things" (meaning they could do anything). Honestly, if the Big Three had continued to make 2-door full-sized SUV's like these, I don't think the TJ would have grown in popularity as much as they did between the YJ and TJ.

View attachment 211290

These rigs had ~106" of wheelbase, were about as wide as a modern JK/JL, were comfy despite being on leaf springs, could haul all sorts of gear, had ample power and torque, but were still small/civil enough to drive around town or on tighter trails.
Not so fast my friend.

One of my favorite vehicles ever was the 78-79 Bronco.
104" wheelbase
Coil springs / solid axle up front...
Bomb proof drive train
Reverse rotation 44 and 9' rear
V8 power
A T18 or Np435 could be had

Oh did I mention the WB?
104" and approaching 5k weight.
The contact pressure was phenomenal. IMO it was rivaled by only 2 other vehicles I've owned/ own.
A Jeep Grand Wagoneer...
Not the wood sticker poofy leather scheme abd still use the name wagoneer (but really it was a grand cherokee) in 1993 ...

No no...im talking the Grand Wagoneer that died in 1991. The last carburetor mfg vehicle in N.A.
Tremendous contact pressure...

The last one...
I currently have this one...
2001 Ford Excursion with 7.3

All three could navigate the slick stuff as if on rails.

It was incredible just how well they'd go in 2wd. 4wd really wasn't needed.

P s.
I was out and about last night in the Rubicon...2wd...some deep snow..some half assed plowed areas....
The thick snow still not plowed would fight with you alright as I said ...

But where is the damn driving skill these days?

I'll tell ya where.....

The FWD car ruined these kids (who aren't kids anymore) driving skill.

Everyone should have to take a driving test with a stick and also log xyz hours with a RWD 1974 Plymouth Fury in the snow before they get their license.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Can I ask a question: I don't "drive" in snow on the streets here in Nor Cal but I do hit the mountains on FS roads. I've always chained up the fronts, using 4x4 while breaking trails. Would I fair better chaining up the rears ? ( only 1 set of chains )
From a safety standpoint, yes. It may also provide marginally better forward traction.

Imagine the Jeep is sliding sideways. If you put tire chains on the front tires, the front tires slow the front down more quickly and the Jeep spins so that it is now sliding backwards. This is an oversteered setup.

If you put tire chains on the rear, in that side slide the Jeep will spin so that the front end is now facing forward. This is an understeered setup.

In the understeered setup, if you make a turn too fast, the front tires break traction and you simply can’t turn as quickly as you wanted. If you are going much too fast, you may depart the road.

In the oversteered setup, the rear wheels break traction before the front, and the rear end swings around, likely resulting in the entire car spinning out and departing the road.

That’s also why tire manufacturers recommend you put new tires on the rear and not the front if you are only buying two new tires.

If you have some time and space to play around, find a frozen parking lot and try sliding around with the chains on the front and then also on the rear. You will feel the difference. When they’re on the rear you just won’t be able to turn very hard at speed. When they’re on the front you may spin out, but you can turn somewhat harder before that happens. The spin out often happens with very little warning.

If all you’re using them for is low speed trails, putting them on the front may be fine. From a performance standpoint, you can probably make tighter turns with chains on the front, though you stand increased risk of spinning out.

By far the best thing to do is put them on all four tires. However, that isn’t always practical.

Reactions: Thunderhead
... OK you guys are getting to me. I've got to modify my XJ. It has a 2" budget boost and 245's on MOAB's but other than that it's pretty much stock.
Now I'm starting to miss my 99' XJ on 33s. I had to sell it to get my Rubicon back. (6 months ago today)

XJ 3 1 2020 best uhaul (2).jpg

Reactions: PCO6
Alright I'm a former pizza delivery boy in Cache Valley Utah which sets snow and temperature records on a yearly basis. I have Mickey T's ATZ P3's and not enough focus is being put on your tire choice, get tires designed for snow and you will be able to rely on the advise given for driving in snow. If you keep those tires you need to be paranoid about not making a mistake in snowy conditions and you will probably be ok.

1. The tires. Mickey T's are not built for snow and cold, that compound is going to get hard and slick in the cold and wet, add that to a tread that is not designed for slush/snow covered asphalt and your going to have problems.
2. Fat tires are great for snowy conditions where you are "floating" in other words you are not pushing against a hard surface. So you will kill it in deep powder and struggle on hard surfaces where you are better off with a smaller contact patch.
3. Short and light, your gonna spin, just like hitting a washed out road at too high a speed.
4. Lack of all wheel drive. In small snowfalls and slushy conditions all wheel drive will always kick the crap out of a 4 wheel drive.
5. 4 WHEEL DRIVE HELPS YOU STOP IN SNOW, so stay in 4WD. If you haven't tested this yourself then please do so or at least watch this video before arguing over it. How 4WD Helps You Stop In Snow

In short, get a tire rated for snow or recommended specifically for snow and always give yourself more room to operate then you think you will need.

Last edited:
Alright I'm a former pizza delivery boy in Cache Valley Utah which sets snow and temperature records on a yearly basis. I have Mickey T's ATZ P3's and not enough focus is being put on your tire choice, get tires designed for snow and you will be able to rely on the advise given for driving in snow. If you keep those tires you need to be paranoid about not making a mistake in snowy conditions and you will probably be ok.

1. The tires. Mickey T's are not built for snow and cold, that compound is going to get hard and slick in the cold and wet, add that to a tread that is not designed for slush/snow covered asphalt and your going to have problems.
2. Fat tires are great for snowy conditions where you are "floating" in other words you are not pushing against a hard surface. So you will kill it in deep powder and struggle on hard surfaces where you are better off with a smaller contact patch.
3. Short and light, your gonna spin, just like hitting a washed out road at too high a speed.
4. Lack of all wheel drive. In small snowfalls and slushy conditions all wheel drive will always kick the crap out of a 4 wheel drive.
5. 4 WHEEL DRIVE HELPS YOU STOP IN SNOW, so stay in 4WD. If you haven't tested this yourself then please do so or at least watch this video before arguing over it. How 4WD Helps You Stop In Snow

In short, get a tire rated for snow or recommended specifically for snow and always give yourself more room to operate then you think you will need.
We don't get enough snow on Long Island to have this make sense dollar wise / would need 2 sets of rims & tires .... MEHHHHH

We don't get enough snow on Long Island to have this make sense dollar wise / would need 2 sets of rims & tires .... MEHHHHH
Haha I can't fault that. I still have the Mickey's, if I was still delivering I would get new tires but a little extra caution and its not that bad.