TJ Transfer Case Handle Mod

Maso

TJ Enthusiast
This will be option 1 in replacing the Transfer Case Shifter handle with the old style knob.
I guess this will be the quick and dirty option. Anyone can do this, you don't even have to remove the console.
I used one of those aftermarket shifter knobs that slide over the shifter shaft and is held on with grub screws.
First, I cut off the old handle. I packed some old bed sheets around the handle then used a cut off wheel in a angle grinder. I cut off the handle as high as I could. Now, the plastic part of the handle that you cut through will smoke a little bit. I took about half a dozen goes and stopped everytime it started to smoke, wasn't much but I wasn't in a rush. Then you get a few sparks when you cut through the shaft itself, that's why I put all the rags down, just so I didn't burn a hole in the seats. Like I said, I just took my time and didn't try to cut through it in one go, just in case the plastic caught fire.
Rather be safe than sorry.
Once the handle was cut off, the bit left behind just pulled off the shaft.
Then I painted on a bit of primer and black paint to protect the end of the shaft, then slid on the adapter and knob on and tightened up the grub screws.
It's ok for now, but I think I will probably pull the shaft and weld on an extension and find an adapter for the knob so it screws directly to the end of the shaft. Because I think I would like it to be a bit longer.
It does feel much better already though.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Excellent write-up! I like this ball style knob so much better than the factory handle!

I was going to say, looks like it might be more comfortable if it was slightly extended.

Reactions: Maso
I have a quick trip to New Zealand coming up in the next couple of days. When I get back I will be extending the shifter and removing the adaptor. It actually feels a lot better now compaired to the original handle, but every time I look at it, I think it just needs to be longer.

Reactions: Mac, Chris and JMT
That's a cool mod :clap2: