Transfer Case Shifter Handle Extension

The ebay seller I got the rod from took the one I had back, and is going to send out a replacement. After getting that arranged, I actually contacted autostars_inc on ebay, and told him that I was interested in the shift knob you had, but with a different thread pitch, to match the rod I hope will work right. Even though the shift knob I got was ok, it was a bit small, and I like the size of yours better. He told me to contact SickSpeed directly, and see what they said. Tony @ SickSpeed was very helpful. He found the exact knob like yours, and said they can send it with a 10x1.50 threaded insert. I didn't even have to order that separately, it comes with it. Once everything arrives, I will compare the two knobs, and go with the one that works better. I'm still committed to trying to make this mod work. I really liked how it felt. Hopefully the next shift rod will work right.

Extra bonus - SickSpeed's pricing was better than the ebay pricing...

Watching this with interest @glwood. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this mod!

IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1184.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG
Watching this with interest @glwood. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this mod!
Update:
New knob and shift rod received as of yesterday. Installation scheduled for today after shutting down the evaporative cooler on the roof of the house...supposed to get colder next week. Stay tuned.

BTW, the new shift rod looks way better than the last, compared to the oem rod. I like the new, bigger knob also. Thanks for the vendor info @Maso!

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
Shift knob project described in post # 92 of my TJ thread on page 5, I didn't want to keep cluttering up @Maso's thread...I like how it turned out. I had to modify the second shift rod somewhat, but it works perfectly. :)

I may have a shift knob up for sale...I got two, but ended up using one. :eek:

I just did this too. But I bought a lever off ebay, will likely modify the stock shifter as you did too since the after market one leaves a bit to be desired.

Had to modify the lever a bit since it would not go into 2WD. The lever was too long thru the shifting rod. I drilled a new hole for the clip and shortened the rod, cutting it off just ahead of the original pin hole. Works perfectly now, just have to find a knob.

Last edited:
Question for you if you would:

Got my console off Sunday, pulled the clip, and couldn't get the existing handle to budge. It had obviously been wet, at least a few times, and had some corrosion. Being I was on the back end of the flu and in no mood to argue with it, I sprayed a liberal dose of PB blaster, put everything back together, and went back to bed.

For you, did the handle slide out of the spring and shaft, or do you have to remove the back part of the spring off the shaft, sliding the shift handle out with the spring still on it?

I'm going to have to get creative with some leverage and clamps to get this thing out, don't want to break anyting if I can avoid it.

thanks

You have to be in 4L to slide it out.
And you have to get the confounded spring clip off first.

Your lever must move left right as you shift it so I doubt the issue is corrosion.

You have to be in 4L to slide it out.
And you have to get the confounded spring clip off first.

Your lever must move left right as you shift it so I doubt the issue is corrosion.

It was pretty tight.

I did take the spring off the handle. That left a nice hole in my thumb.

I assume you are talking about removing the spring from the shaft that the handle passes through?

Sorry for the stupidity, but....

Does someone else sells the modified rod for the shifter? The ebay seller does not have it listed anymore

Reactions: DrDmoney
I think i might go that route. Just noticed that with the longer bar i will put the weight of my leg on it and break something with time. Is it more difficult to shift with the lever short like that or is it the same?
Thanks for the pics
I installed a Savvy cable shifter and it’s very smooth and easy to shift.

Reactions: Jramos013
He's got three listed atm, has anyone recently bought one from him and have feedback on it?
I've been wanting to do this to put JK knobs on both of my shifters.
It works, but touches the plastic in 4 low. I'm going to have to take it off and dog leg it forward a bit. Some people reportedly can't get into 4 low without dog legging it. I don't know why it isn't dog legged in the first place...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ataxium and Alex01