TJ Vacations in Costa Rica

ryk91

Hey everyone!!! I am working for a start up creating a travel agency for digital nomads. But I would love to test this other new idea.

Would you travel to a destination as Costa Rica and have a complete plan based on having a TJ full equipped (tent, water tank, gas tank, and more)

Like forget about luxury properties, just a well equipped TJ. With the support of a entire planning with destinations, properties which aloud to stay at night with the car and all the facilities.

Plus
- entirely more cheap than doing 12 days in hotels.
- possibility to explore the real rural areas of Costa Rica
- step away from turistic prices
- involve with the Costa Rican culture

Cons
- Less comfort than staying in 5 start properties

Please share your ideas, critics, questions everything in welcome...

Reactions: Hog and Chris
I suspect the market would be incredibly niche, but at the same time the idea is cool. I do suppose however you could capture people even outside of the TJ world since it might appeal to the adventure type or the overland type as well.

I'd have a fleet of different "overland" style rigs set up so people can live out their fantasies of vehicle based travel in the "dream rig" of their choice (defenders, troopy's, etc).

Now when you have a service that stream lines the temporary import of my TJ, so I can drive my own TJ all around Costa Rica, then a streamlined shipment home... very exciting.

Reactions: Tob
All incredible feedback... Off course it will be incredible niche!! The concept is not developed yet. Probably the idea will be start with two to three cars, a website and few more.. I truely know Costa Rica, so all the planning and deals with properties is easy stuff... Breaking into the right markets in US will be the most difficult aspect.

The possibility for the temporary import of your own TJ or any other offrouter is the most incredible idea, but truely difficult to do...

All incredible feedback... Off course it will be incredible niche!! The concept is not developed yet. Probably the idea will be start with two to three cars, a website and few more.. I truely know Costa Rica, so all the planning and deals with properties is easy stuff... Breaking into the right markets in US will be the most difficult aspect.

The possibility for the temporary import of your own TJ or any other offrouter is the most incredible idea, but truely difficult to do...
I have several friends who own Yoga studio's and they plan/host retreats to Costa Rica twice a year. I'll ask them what their biggest hurtles are and what their members like/dislike about the whole process. might help you break into the market. I've only been to Costa Rica once myself, But I loved it!

I think for this to work you'd want to find a way to intersperse the two (some type of glamping and nicer places along the way). My wife would probably do that, but definitely not roughing it for 5 days.

I'm planning something like this in CO, going to do one day in a nicer hotel, then a night out, then another hotel, then home.

Make sure the model works. Consider folks breaking down in remote areas, support issues, administration, and so on. These kind of boutique ideas get "thin" very quickly. The business system itself needs to be robust. Also, I imagine the demand for this sort of thing would be... selective.

@ryk91 I’ll be in Costa Rica this summer for a wedding and looking to take a few extra days to explore since I’ve never been. I’ll be your test dummy. Not that I have the $$$ you’re probably looking to charge, but I’ll give you feedback and talk it up on the forum. Ha ha.

@ryk91 I’ll be in Costa Rica this summer for a wedding and looking to take a few extra days to explore since I’ve never been. I’ll be your test dummy. Not that I have the $$$ you’re probably looking to charge, but I’ll give you feedback and talk it up on the forum. Ha ha.
They’re a startup, you may be able to get more than you think as they look to build the user base!

I'd lose the idea of focusing on the "TJ market". There are like 800 of us. Make it a Jeep experience with whatever Jeep you have or any other vehicle for that matter. You know Costa Rica, focus on that & give people a badass experience that they can't get anywhere else. Land Cruiser, 4Runner, TJ, LJ, Hyundai Sonata, who cares. Show them around that beautiful country of yours & give them an experience that they can't get from anywhere else. There are a many more people looking for great travel excursions than there are looking for one in a particular type of vehicle.

We spent like all our money on parts, we can’t even go to WalMart, let alone Costa Rica.

People do dirt bike rides there, fish, etc so Jeep Adventures would be a winner.... you have the hard core idea you mentioned, but half or one day sightseeing tours like they do in Colorado would be a steadier business and keep your equipment in better shape , give you more chances to maintain and refuel, and not be broke down or stuck in remote areas due to inexperienced drivers that don’t care about your property.

Hey everyone!!! I am working for a start up creating a travel agency for digital nomads. But I would love to test this other new idea.

Would you travel to a destination as Costa Rica and have a complete plan based on having a TJ full equipped (tent, water tank, gas tank, and more)

Like forget about luxury properties, just a well equipped TJ. With the support of a entire planning with destinations, properties which aloud to stay at night with the car and all the facilities.

Plus
- entirely more cheap than doing 12 days in hotels.
- possibility to explore the real rural areas of Costa Rica
- step away from turistic prices
- involve with the Costa Rican culture

Cons
- Less comfort than staying in 5 start properties

Please share your ideas, critics, questions everything in welcome...
I think you have a great idea and some of the feedback is good, keep churning your ideas and maybe take a few trips out with some test vehicles and/families to get real world problems “your guests” would experience on that trip.
Might look into side by sides with a base camp setup.

Hi buddy, You have a v8 on your jeep... Nice!!! This is just an idea and truely all the things mentioned are useful.. Let me know your plans in Costa Rica or if I can help you with something... +506 85932310 whatsapp is an usefull app...

I'd lose the idea of focusing on the "TJ market". There are like 800 of us. Make it a Jeep experience with whatever Jeep you have or any other vehicle for that matter. You know Costa Rica, focus on that & give people a badass experience that they can't get anywhere else. Land Cruiser, 4Runner, TJ, LJ, Hyundai Sonata, who cares. Show them around that beautiful country of yours & give them an experience that they can't get from anywhere else. There are a many more people looking for great travel excursions than there are looking for one in a particular type of vehicle.
I did focus on TJ because the nature of the forum... But offcourse... If the idea become a reality Not only tj will be included in the cars options to use...

Reactions: qslim
I did focus on TJ because the nature of the forum... But offcourse... If the idea become a reality Not only tj will be included in the cars options to use...
Gotcha. Your value here is the experience you provide taking people through that awesome country. I was actually born just outside of San Jose, got a Costa Rican birth certificate that says I can come back to live whenever I want!