TJ vs the Old Willys Jeeps

Peter Panagakos

TJ Enthusiast
I'm curious what some of you think as far as the TJ vs the old Willy's jeeps. I know technology wise the TJ has a better engine, lots of sensors, etc. But I am wondering about the original purpose of a jeep. Small rugged 4 wd that can be maintained by most, is tough and durable. I love my TJ, but I miss the older Willy's jeeps I've owned over the years. I could take one apart and rebuild it in my garage with simple hand tools for the most part. And I miss the smaller size and shorter wheel base of the originals. Do you all think the TJs are just as much of a Jeep as say a 1965 CJ-5? My favorite was the CJ-5 with the V-6 oddfire engine and simple T-90 transmission. After all the posts I see here on so many problems all of us deal with, I miss the simplicity and toughness of the older Jeeps, and as I recall I could diagnose and fix any problems that came up. Don't much like computers and all the sensors make me afraid to touch a TJ at times.

I like the design of the classic Willys pickups but wanted the driveability and reliability of a TJ so I made this:

RetroAndWillys3.jpg

It started life as a 2006 LJ and now has 115,000 miles on it (80,000 as a pickup) and I've had almost no trouble with it mechanically.

I have another LJ, also styled a bit like a '65 CJ (CJ grille, hardtop reminiscent of the old Meyer's tops on the early CJ's), it's now got almost 190,000 miles on it and it also has had very few issues that wouldn't have happened on an old Willys - I've done things like axle seals, clutch replacement, etc., but any old Willys would have those issues at high mileage as well.

LJ8TJCompare3_zps2fb0ce19.jpg

Just returned from a 3500-mile trip from upstate NY to Florida to Indiana and back home. That would be dreadful in an old Willys but the Wrangler pickup cruises very comfortably at 75mph, of course with cruise control :).

For me, the TJ is the right level of technology to be a reliable daily driver but also to be maintainable at home. A 60's or earlier Willys will require more maintenance than the TJ - points, for example, carburetor choke operation, things like that, which are very nicely and reliably handled by the technology in the TJ.

I think I've got the best of both - classic early Willys/CJ styling and modern TJ reliability with just enough technology.

I also have a 2013 JKU and for me that's got too much technology, I've had issues with it that are due to the more advanced technology that I would never have had in the TJ.

I've never been a fan of technology. I'm still leery of depending on an auto transmission. There have been very few bits that I conclude to be an actual improvement. Power disk brakes. Electronic ignition. Electric start. Electric lighting. Heat and AC. Fuel injection. It's taken me quite a while to add that last one to the list, but the gains in bearings and rings and overall engine longevity tip it into the list. Although a well tuned carb can be just as efficient as a throttle body, keeping a carb 'well tuned' is as tricky as keeping points and condenser in top shape. The reliably of the TJ is significantly higher than the old WWII Jeeps ever were. I daily drove CJ-7 and CJ-5 with the 258 engines in them and it meant at least some time every weekend with the hood up. A TJ in good shape can go months easily with no need to fiddle around. They are hands down the high point of the series. The JK went over the top with electronic nannies the Gov't required to be added. And while I really like the simplicity of a leaf spring suspension, my aging body is certain the coils were a good call.

I grew up in a Flat Fender club, where they were all heavily modified V8 jeeps. I learned to drive in my dads DJ 3 (converted to 4wd) and I don’t really miss it. The power was great, the short wheelbase is fun. But the seat position sucks and is super uncomfortable. I’ve done lots of things easier in my TJ than some friends do in their flatty’s and not the other way around. I used to think I’d like to build me one one day, but now I think my next jeep may be an LJ.

I think the TJ is peak Jeep. My opinion is that it has the best combination of technology to make it reliable and comfortable to drive (fuel injection, coil spring suspension) with the minimum computerized complexity that started building with the JK (and even headed that direction in the very last TJ's).

Do you all think the TJs are just as much of a Jeep as say a 1965 CJ-5?
yes, more complicated but yes, just as much Jeep, I daily drive my TJR in comfort, rain, snow or shine. I'd love a CJ2 but I doubt I'd drive 1000 miles thru a snow storm in it..... a CJ2 is more comparable to a Ural than any car.

I'd definitely buy a CJ2 before I bought a side by side.

I think that Mahindra (not-a) Jeep would be the perfect S×S. Unless the leaf springs are too rough. I have yet to see one in the real world. Wonder how they compare to, say a Ranger in actual ability. 🤔

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I think that Mahindra (not-a) Jeep would be the perfect S×S. Unless the leaf springs are too rough. I have yet to see one in the real world. Wonder how they compare to, say a Ranger in actual ability. 🤔
They sell them down the road from me near lowes. I have yet to check one out but they look really cool.

I spend a lot of time in India and am pretty familiar with most of the Mahindras. I don't know how the Roxor compares to a side-by-side in terms of flex but based on the environment they're used in over there I can say they're plenty rugged. This one's in safari service in the Panna Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh.

TharPannaTigerReserve_zpsrettz3qz.jpg

I like the looks of the new Gladiator a lot but, I think Jeep should have used the Kaiser pickup grill though, that would have been an awesome retro look. The mechanicals in the older Jeeps were subject to wearing out faster, especially the old flat-head stuff.

I think the TJ is peak Jeep. My opinion is that it has the best combination of technology to make it reliable and comfortable to drive (fuel injection, coil spring suspension) with the minimum computerized complexity that started building with the JK (and even headed that direction in the very last TJ's).

This statement is so true....
I owned a 1998 XJ 4.0L w/AX-15 for 21 years; I loved the durability and ease to work on it, but decided to sell the Jeep when I moved overseas.
While owning the XJ I purchased a 2011 JK 3.6L. I could work on the vehicle even with the increase of electronics; the Jeep was too expensive to maintain electronically. My brother purchased the JK and he really enjoys driving the Jeep.
Due to changes in the world (overseas living right now is not practical); after returning to the US I purchased a 2001 TJ 4.0L w/NV3550; which is what I really wanted before I purchased the JK. I am finally back to the durability and simplicity of the older Jeeps.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
If I could figure out a way to get a Flatty Lookin body and install it on my TJ frame it would be on there. I've loved the look of a Flatty for years.

What if a grille overlay was made that looked like this?

TJMBDesignStudy1a_zps45lvtz1d.jpg

The face of the stock grille would be cut off and this would go in it's place; the main core support part of the grille would still be used so the radiator, A/C condenser, etc. would mount as factory.

That plus some flat fenders like the ones @Wildman has or these below would get you a good part of the way there.

FlatfenderMockup1b_zpsahmzlzet.jpg

I've never been a fan of technology. I'm still leery of depending on an auto transmission. There have been very few bits that I conclude to be an actual improvement. Power disk brakes. Electronic ignition. Electric start. Electric lighting. Heat and AC. Fuel injection. It's taken me quite a while to add that last one to the list, but the gains in bearings and rings and overall engine longevity tip it into the list. Although a well tuned carb can be just as efficient as a throttle body, keeping a carb 'well tuned' is as tricky as keeping points and condenser in top shape. The reliably of the TJ is significantly higher than the old WWII Jeeps ever were. I daily drove CJ-7 and CJ-5 with the 258 engines in them and it meant at least some time every weekend with the hood up. A TJ in good shape can go months easily with no need to fiddle around. They are hands down the high point of the series. The JK went over the top with electronic nannies the Gov't required to be added. And while I really like the simplicity of a leaf spring suspension, my aging body is certain the coils were a good call.

I find it interesting that so many people associate a vehicle with a carburetor as having the 'hood up" so often. I have a 1985 Ford F150 with a carburetor that I haven't had to touch in years. I set it up and tuned it, and it has pretty much stayed that way. Why did you need to "fiddle around" with yours so often?

But you do bring up a good point about technology. The TJ has just enough to be acceptable, but not so much to be modern - even when they were new. The 4.0 pushrod engine was a very old, yet proven design. The 3-speed automatic was archaic, but simple and nuts reliable. When they introduced the Moab wheels, they moved up to 16" - while almost everyone else had already gone to 17" wheels. Up until about 2003, the TJ had about the same technology of a late 1980s vehicle with EFI, and nothing more.

I personally think Jeeps should always be a bit *behind* the curve in technology. I think they should have remained as simple as the government would allow. The CJ, YJ, and TJ were all crude, simple vehicles in their day. But all of that has changed and the Wrangler is now at the forefront of technology. And I think that is a mistake. There is nothing more ridiculous to me than seeing the world's most legendary and capable 4wd vehicle with a touch screen in the middle of the dashboard.