TJ wont crank

Bbrayden85

TJ Enthusiast
Its late writing this and i work all week so i need input. I went to go to work today and the 4.0 wouldn’t crank. Its a 2002 jeep wrangler 4.0 3 speed auto. I swapped the starter relay with the horn relay. No luck. It clicks but wont crank. Hooked the starter directly to a jumper and it cranked perfect. Thought about it being the ignition switch? But it wouldn’t click would it? The battery is very new. What could the culprit be? Anyone have this issue? The jeep is in very good shape so a wiring issue would be my last guess on the issue. Safyety switch? Solenoid? I just dont know and really need help because i daily this and dont have much time to work on it. Thank you

Check the condition of the battery cables going to the starter and engine block.
Are the battery terminals cable clamp loose or are the clamp to battery terminal connections oxidized ?
Are the terminal connections at the block or starter loose or dirty ?
Is there a white powdery substance in between the cable strands ?
Check the battery voltage when starting; the voltage should drop to around 12.0-12.2 when you turn the ignition switch to START and when you turn the ignition switch to OFF the voltage should slowly build again to 12.3-12.5. IF the voltage drops below 12.0 and doesn't build again then the battery has problems even if it's fairly new.
IF the Neutral Safety Switch were the problem; the starter would not even click...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73
Connections, and solenoid are good. I jumped from the psitive terminal directly to the solenoid signal wire. Cranks perfect

Have someone turn the ignition to START and you should measure the voltage to the solenoid signal wire.
IF there is 12V to the signal wire; is it momentary or is it continuous for as long as you hold the ignition switch to START?
IF the voltage is continuous, then the problem may be the signal wire connection to the solenoid.
IF the voltage is only momentary then the problem may be the contacts inside the ignition switch.
Then you will need remove the plastic clam shell halves around the steering column to inspect the ignition switch harness connector for over heating or loose connections.

Have someone turn the ignition to START and you should measure the voltage to the solenoid signal wire.
IF there is 12V to the signal wire; is it momentary or is it continuous for as long as you hold the ignition switch to START?
IF the voltage is continuous, then the problem may be the signal wire connection to the solenoid.
IF the voltage is only momentary then the problem may be the contacts inside the ignition switch.
Then you will need remove the plastic clam shell halves around the steering column to inspect the ignition switch harness connector for over heating or loose connections.
there is no voltage whatsoever