TJ won't start after replacing fuel tank!

Tigerman

TJ Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
Hi,

I replaced the fuel tank on my 98 today with a good, none-leaking used one from one of our forum members. Everything was pretty much straight forward: released the pressure, disconnected the wires and hoses, dropped the tank... When installing the fuel pump in the replacement tank I had to compress it a bit to fit the height, seemed normal (tanks are identical). Did not notice anything out of ordinary, just a really old filter on the bottom (which I replaced with a slightly larger one from O'Reily's)
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ainer/s13016/4615873/1998/jeep/wrangler?pos=3

After putting everything together, the Jeep will not start. I disconnected the hose and there is no fuel in the line. It seems that the pump is not doing its job anymore. The fuel level was low, about 2 or 3 galons in there, so I added another 2, just in case, but still no luck.

Did the pump just quit on me?

Check the electrical connection. I just did the same thing. I thought it was connected even reinstalled the red tab. But it wasn't.

Also you can hear the pump kick on when you turn the key.

I asked my wife to turn on the key while I tried to listen for the pump with my ear to the skid plate. I only heard a very faint tick like something was powered but no kick.

Is there any other way to check if the pump is working?

If I drop the tank again and wire the pump to a 12v battery on the proper terminals, shouldn't the pump start if it is OK?

Reactions: KCsTJ
It should click and hum in few seconds when you put the key into On position.

The hum, I suspect, would be the motor? Say O reconnect the pump to the connector outside of the fuel pump and hear nothing, would it be safe to verify it is a faulty pump by connecting the new one the same way before re-installing?

Do you guys think I might have knocked out a wire when installing the pump?

The hum, I suspect, would be the motor? Say O reconnect the pump to the connector outside of the fuel pump and hear nothing, would it be safe to verify it is a faulty pump by connecting the new one the same way before re-installing?

Do you guys think I might have knocked out a wire when installing the pump?
I know it's a pain but you may have to drop the tank again to have direct access to the fuel pump assy.
Then you can directly troubleshoot using a 12v source and a multimeter.

There is no doubt you will hear a strong hum when turning the key to the on position.
Seeing how your have checked all of your connections, ya might check the grounding wire that attaches to the frame(or somewhere, mine had a clip on end to it). its on the filler side of the tank , It may just be a ground for static electricity, but I did reconnect it and its running great.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I ended replacing the fuel pump. I know, that is not troubleshooting but I figured might as well. it will give me the confidence that it will not go out any time soon. After replacing the fuel pump, everything worked like a charm. I am not sure if it was a rollover switch or the ground (ground was clean and attached to the frame: talking about the static ground). I am keeping the olf pump just in case and I will test it with a 12V source to see if it works.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Chris
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I ended replacing the fuel pump. I know, that is not troubleshooting but I figured might as well. it will give me the confidence that it will not go out any time soon. After replacing the fuel pump, everything worked like a charm. I am not sure if it was a rollover switch or the ground (ground was clean and attached to the frame: talking about the static ground). I am keeping the olf pump just in case and I will test it with a 12V source to see if it works.

Thanks again.
I did the same,
I still have my old fuel pump which I replaced for no other reason than it had 152k and I replaced for PM reasons.
Now you can bench troubleshoot and if you can repair the exact problem, you have a backup fuel pump.

Reactions: Tigerman
Hi Guys,

Thanks again.
if you replaced it and it started working. sound like trouble shooting to me :) (that was a joke people). Glad you are back up and running.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Tigerman