TJ won't start even after replacing battery

03Jeepgirl

When out to leave and Jeep was dead. I replaced the battery in January took it back today they replaced it with a new one. Now it still won't start gauges work,radio but will not turn over. Where should I start and what do you recommend? Drove to work and home went back out 30 minutes later and nothing.
Thanks.
2003 TJ 4.0 6l

Last edited:
First ensure the battery cables are clean and not corroded.

Possibly a stuck starter, sometimes you can tap the starter with a hammer or wrench and it will unstick it. Tap it, don't hit it hard.

Also possibly a broken ignition actuator pin.

You may have a ground that needs checked also

So, you got a new battery (from where) and they replaced it 5 months later? That’s somewhat odd. When they tested it they said it was bad?

I can’t see if you have a manual or automatic unless I’m misread if the profile. Manual I would find a way to push start, if it runs then feels you probably starter.

I’m assuming they test a battery before replacing, so you mist have a battery drain, but I’d still start with the simple. So you turn the key and zero, no click at all.

I would tap the starter with a hammer a couple times and try again.
Then I would jump over the starter solenoid and see if it engages. So basically find out if the starter works, since you have a good battery.

Then I would check and make sure every battery cable Connecion was clean and tight, especially the ground (negative).

Then if it’s a manual, the clutch safety switch, then the ignition actuator pin.

If you have a volt meter and you put it at the starter, and it gets juice when the key is turned, then I would focus on starter.

If no, I would start focusing on the clutch safety switch or the actuator pin.