TJ won't start

mogsy

Still struggling to get my '98 2.5 TJ started.
To update, bought car with no PCM ordered one from US ,plug and play, no skim and programmed to my vin, when it arrived plugged in and car started and died after a couple of seconds, after about a dozen attempts it wouldn't start at all, cranked fine but no go, discovered if I sprayed fuel into throttle body car would start and run as long as I sprayed fuel, plenty of pressure in the fuel rail and injectors work if I ground the PCM side.

Brilliantly the guy from US sent me another PCM but exactly the same has happened, it seems as if the injector drivers in the pcm have failed, checked for shorts in the loom, 5v rail is good, how could the car 'kill' 2 pcm's

Bypassed the ASD relay made no difference

No check engine lamp, no fault codes

Last edited:
Sounds like your fuel pump has gone tits-up. To verify screw a fuel pressure tester gauge onto the fuel rail Shrader test port and check the fuel pressure after turning the key on then while cranking the engine. Normal pressure is at or very close to 49 psi.

Plenty of fuel at the fuel rail and pressure is good, as I said with the fuel rail removed and if I earth the pcm side of the injector all injectors deliver fuel.

After my saga trying to get this Wrangler to start, some success, bought as spares or repair dry stored for 5 years, with a missing ecu (pcm) and ignition barrel drilled out.
I fitted new ignition barrel with non transponder keys (supplied with the car) and a ecu purchased from the US which supposedly had been 'deskimmed' and told not to plug in the skim module, car still no start, guy sent another over with the same results, I sent to a uk guy who removes security from ecu's came back with a note to not use the skim module, still no start.
Got another from a different US supplier, again 'deskimmed' still no start.
Getting a bit despondent now so thought lets plug in the skim module, got nothing to lose, still no go but this time got an error code 'skim fault', held the old key near the skim and hey presto.
Attached a pic of one of the old keys which has a small pcb with a battery in it, this will also allow the car to start, if I take the battery out no start, what is this key? what looks like a button is just moulded in, the other key which came with it was a regular grey transponder key.

IMG-3113.jpg

IMG-3114.jpg

IMG-3112.jpg