TJ won't turn left after Rugged Ridge HD steering conversion

RiversideTJ

Upgraded to adjustable track bar , drop pitman arm for the lift and the Rugged Ridge HD Steering Conversion but now my TJ wont turn left. I knew that there would need to be adjustments and a whole new alignment but have no clue where to start with what seems like a wheel lock to the left.

Did you have to mount your own steering stabilizer (with u-clamps)?

If so, the next question is: did you center the steering and center the shaft on the stabilizer when you were mounting it?

Third, just remove it and see what happens.

Reactions: ShredAZ
Upgraded to adjustable track bar , drop pitman arm for the lift and the Rugged Ridge HD Steering Conversion but now my TJ wont turn left. I knew that there would need to be adjustments and a whole new alignment but have no clue where to start with what seems like a wheel lock to the left.
How much of a lift was it, and why a dropped pitman arm?

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Going to try this guys stabilizer method and let you know if that was it. It cant be the Pitman arm because that has fixed slots to go into and wont go in unless you match them.

It's possible the steering gear box was already turned way to one side when you put then new one in it would be off center. It's unlikely though. It's more likely the steering stabilizer. (I had the same issue when I redid my steering, turned out to be the steering stabilizer)

Reactions: ShredAZ
1. Check for steering linkage binding.
2. Check to make sure your stabilizer isn't bottoming out.
3. Check to make sure your steering box was centered before putting the pitman arm on.

Reactions: ShredAZ and rasband
Have you done a dry steer test, with you under the front end, and someone in the Jeep turning the steering wheel, to determine what is binding or hitting, preventing a left turn?

Reactions: jjvw
**********RESOLVED

Ok, so I drove up to a local Drift car garage I know works alot with adjustable steering components and they told me to disconnect the drag link from the pit man arm. I would then turn the key so that i could turn the steering wheel all the way in one direction and then count the number of full turns to the other side (3) I would then have to turn it back half way (1.5 turns) and the Pitman would be centered. Now I could proceed to adjust the drag link as needed to drop into the centered pitman arm. I tightened it up and it solved my issue. Thank you to everyone for their help.

Let us know how the bump steer is with that product. In other words, if you drive over a bump or dip in the road, is the steering "bumped" left/right as the front axle moves up/down over the dip/bump?

Amazing how it is almost always the simple things. Space shuttle blew up cause someone didn't change out an O ring. if some huge issue comes up after I "fixed" it I try to take a few minutes and think about anything else. Then normally the issue becomes obvious. Myth better to ask someone else than to just start monkeying whith it.

Reactions: Drippy
Amazing how it is almost always the simple things. Space shuttle blew up cause someone didn't change out an O ring. if some huge issue comes up after I "fixed" it I try to take a few minutes and think about anything else. Then normally the issue becomes obvious. Myth better to ask someone else than to just start monkeying whith it.
I live close to Huntsville,Alabama, home of Marshall Space Flight Center and tons of great engineers.

I have always noticed people say things like ...”I worked on X after the Challenger disaster “

Seems no one was involved before . Hmmm

Back on topic , is a clock spring issue possible with how he recentered?