TJ Wrangler suspension debate: Looking for a few answers

tmellon

Hello!

I recently purchased an 05 Wrangler and it came with metalcloak fenders and already had 33's on it. I believe it currently has the stock suspension on it (the tires just fit due to the fender clearance) - correct me if I am wrong!

Anyways, the suspension is warn out. Just by having passengers in the back, you can immediately tell the difference.

My question is how should I go about replacing the shocks/springs/etc? I like the way it looks currently, however I know that I will want more clearance eventually. I am in college, so I am on a modest budget.

I have heard/read wonderful things about the rancho 5000x shocks. They are also right in my price range. Would it be necessary to replace the springs if I were to purchase these shocks?

Also, the specs of those shocks call for approx. 2.5 inches of lift. In that case, would I need slip yoke eliminator, disconnects, etc?

I am really just looking for a budget friendly ride / occasional light trail rig. It is my daily until I graduate, which at that point the entire direction of the build will change - just looking for something to get me through comfortably right now.

This is my first jeep, I am normally a sports car guy and have previously been interested in lowering / go fast parts - all of this stuff is new to me!

Thank you!

Welcome aboard!
These TJs needs commitment not like the sport cars. Someday you will know what I meant by this :)

2.5" lift is a good choice for the Rancho 5000x shocks as a daily drive. But I will graduate first if I were you bec. this is an expensive rig to maintain with mods.

Reactions: TrueTexas and FJQue
You can get RS5000X shocks for no lift as well. RS55128 and RS55240 are the part numbers you will want. Those will work with up to a 2 inch lift as well.

For a cheap lift, consider using spring spacers. 1-1.5” would be a good amount to start without going too deep into modification to accommodating taller lifts. If you want more past 2.5”, consider a 1-1.25” body lift.

As for the sagging due to weight, you can replace the rear stings with stiffer springs or ones with more lift. Alternatively, you can add airbags (Air Lift 1000 is one option) into the coil springs for around $100 for the pair that will let you adjust the stiffness and correct the height each time you load or unload the car.

There are also adjustable coil over spacers that can be used to fine tune a lift height. Search for Currie ACOS or JKS ACOS.

If you do not off road it keep it as is because you only have the 33s and so just buy the new shocks.
There is a lot of factors that will keep in considerations if you go for 2.5" lift, can you attach a photo of your rig?

Last edited:
the shocks not gonna provide lift , springs do that.
if the rear springs are shot those need replaced. might as well buy +2" if that's the goal. add pucks to the front springs for now. and get the new shocks.
search CL or FB marketplace or the for sale forum here, to see if you can score some springs in good condition cheap.

Hello!

I recently purchased an 05 Wrangler and it came with metalcloak fenders and already had 33's on it. I believe it currently has the stock suspension on it (the tires just fit due to the fender clearance) - correct me if I am wrong!

Anyways, the suspension is warn out. Just by having passengers in the back, you can immediately tell the difference.

My question is how should I go about replacing the shocks/springs/etc? I like the way it looks currently, however I know that I will want more clearance eventually. I am in college, so I am on a modest budget.

I have heard/read wonderful things about the rancho 5000x shocks. They are also right in my price range. Would it be necessary to replace the springs if I were to purchase these shocks?

Also, the specs of those shocks call for approx. 2.5 inches of lift. In that case, would I need slip yoke eliminator, disconnects, etc?

I am really just looking for a budget friendly ride / occasional light trail rig. It is my daily until I graduate, which at that point the entire direction of the build will change - just looking for something to get me through comfortably right now.

This is my first jeep, I am normally a sports car guy and have previously been interested in lowering / go fast parts - all of this stuff is new to me!

Thank you!

@tmellon , congrats on the new purchase! Considering your current budgetary constraints, I'd recommend just getting the shocks for right now. New shocks will improve the ride / handling characteristics dramatically! Go with the Rancho numbers provided above for stock lift height, and that's all you need. Just enjoy your "new" Jeep for right now. Set some goals for the future and build accordingly as the funds allow. Good Luck!

Reactions: DaddyZSmith
Get a set of H&R springs and RS5000X shocks. I installed the H&R springs on a previous TJ and they were a fantastic spring. Depending on the Jeep, these will give you a little over 1" of lift and should fix your ride sag problem. You can then always add a 1.25" Savvy body lift later, if needed/desired.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7M0NRO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

GJyppYN.jpg

Last edited:
I think everyone is making good suggestions, but maybe if @tmellon describes the current issues he's experiencing beyond "you can feel it" we can better dial in what is actually wrong and what he specifically needs.

Even brand new springs will be effected by adding passengers in the back. So there is little you can do about it. Either the back will sit high when empty and level when loaded, or level when empty and low when loaded. The same thing happens on a normal car too. When your buddy gets out of your Honda Civic you feel that whole side of the car lift up.
You want the Rancho 5000x shocks for 0-2" lift. They will help keep the springs under control so the added weight dosen't feel like a pogo stick. Adding 2" lift pucks can cheaply lift the Jeep up enough without overly effecting suspension and drivetrain. Going higher than that normally includes other parts to accommodate the lift.
Any type of spring lift (including spacers) will require you to reset the toe- in on the front tires. It's very simple, but necessary.
In the mean time take several pics of your front suspension from a few different angles. That can help us help you. Also, measure the spring height on the front and rear. The front spring should measure 12" and the rear 8". From those numbers you can figure out just how much your Jeep is sagging, and what can be done to help you.
Welcome to the world of TJs. And to the (possibly) best forum on the Web.🍻

Reactions: JMT and SvtLdr
You can get RS5000X shocks for no lift as well. RS55128 and RS55240 are the part numbers you will want. Those will work with up to a 2 inch lift as well.

For a cheap lift, consider using spring spacers. 1-1.5” would be a good amount to start without going too deep into modification to accommodating taller lifts. If you want more past 2.5”, consider a 1-1.25” body lift.

so much this.

The true cost of a lift grows exponentially with height, and 2" is where the snowball starts getting big. At 1.5"-2" you can get away with spacers and shocks for under $300. I'm almost $3k into mine to get what I consider to be a properly functioning 4" lift, and there are things I've done cheaply (my LCAs), things I didn't even have to buy (springs) because the Jeep had them already when I bought it, and things I'll probably replace again because there's still room for improvement (my aforementioned LCAs and springs).

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!
These TJs needs commitment not like the sport cars. Someday you will know what I meant by this :)

2.5" lift is a good choice for the Rancho 5000x shocks as a daily drive. But I will graduate first if I were you bec. this is an expensive rig to maintain with mods.
Commitment is an understatement. They can be the ultimate demanding mistress.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ2
Get a set of H&R springs and RS5000X shocks. I installed the H&R springs on a previous TJ and they were a fantastic spring. Depending on the Jeep, these will give you a little over 1" of lift and should fix your ride sag problem. You can then always add a 1.25" Savvy body lift later, if needed/desired.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7M0NRO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 155380

I think is a good suggestion and not too expensive. I've done the same, and you can see how mine sits sans fenders on 30" inch tires. They are General Grabbers and a true 30" tire.

20200419_165157.jpg

Reactions: FJQue and TJ2
Hello!

Thank you!
Go with 31 inch or 31.5 inch tires and the Rancho RS5000x shocks for 0-2 inches of lift.

Reading your post, you may not like to hear what it takes to run 33’s the right way.

Reactions: Rick Flair and JMT
Hello!

Thank you!
I would just get the Zone 3” lift and call it a day. It’s cheap, good reputation, and will perform and look fantastic.