TJ's in Paradise - Where should a retired Jeeper in NorCal move to enjoy the golden years of his Jeep passion

150,000?!? It certainly has grown.

Tell me more about Payson and the surrounding area from the perspective of a retired person.
warm summers snow melts fast in the winter, has a Home Depot/walmart/safeway,and a bunch of stores in the middle of the tonto nf.pondarosa pines/oak lots of places to wheel easy to tough/rocky,steep 30 min. to the states largest lake, bass,sking,trout lakes 30 min. to hour Flagstaff bout 1 1/2 hrs. Nice but I can't keep the Elk out of my garden, and ur a day from Moab or rubicon trail or cold an livin is fairly cheap.

Personally given the choice of low taxes and no social programs or higher taxes with great social programs, I'd pick paying taxes and being surrounded by a healthy community over saving a few bucks, living in a gated community and watching those less fortunate live in poverty.

Yep, I'd accept higher taxes to live in a safer community.... which I already do.

Montana is worth a mention...big sky country is pretty amazing. It's real hard to not fall in love with the attitude and quality of living up here. Tons of open land, Jeep trails, endless forest roads, the rockies, Glacier, Yellowstone, etc...I could go on for days. It's not all snow up here, NW Montana is very different than SW Montana, and the east side of the state is a completely different world compared to the west side.

Moab gets an honorable mention. I would personally like to live near Moab, but definitely not in Moab. When the tourist season slows down, the town becomes overrun with drug problems and loneliness from what I've heard.

I've been all around the West. The nice part about the place is that there is a town for everyone. I think you need to look at what you want personally. I have family that wouldn't live anywhere besides Manhattan. Personally, I don't want to be anywhere near that place. Understanding what you are looking for in a town and finding one that fits you personally is really the hard part. Fortunately, the west offers every type of town you could want to find (besides mega cities like NYC / LA / CHI).

From your list I may pick Northern NV. I have spent some time in Tucson and it get HOT in the summer months. I am not one for 100 + days for weeks on end, now the Golfing is great. I like NV as you have the tax benefits and the Sierra's are just a short drive and there is plenty of Mountain Trails, from tough Rubicon, Fordyce, to easy Fire Roads and you can do high desert trails and out to Virginia City.

Reactions: DrDmoney and afmoto
My dream is Salida Colorado. It’s big enough to have all the major things around but small enough to not be the BS of a city. Oh, and the entire San Juan range is within a short drive and Utah is within a little more.

The downside of CO is the “wrong” CA people are moving here and turning purple to blue, our taxes will be increasing over time as well (though it seems to be a nationwide issue).

From your list I may pick Northern NV. I have spent some time in Tucson and it get HOT in the summer months. I am not one for 100 + days for weeks on end, now the Golfing is great. I like NV as you have the tax benefits and the Sierra's are just a short drive and there is plenty of Mountain Trails, from tough Rubicon, Fordyce, to easy Fire Roads and you can do high desert trails and out to Virginia City.

I second that. Several friends moved to the Reno area and many others to the Minden area. Tahoe is close too. Probably my main reason for that specific area will be to still be able to duck hunt the Pacific flyway, while living in a ‘free state’.

We’re going to Sturgis next year and will be exploring Utah, Montana and Idaho too, so I may have different ideas after that trip. I just know that California is no longer where I want to live because the politics (especially the anti-2A bs) are just too much.

My dream is Salida Colorado. It’s big enough to have all the major things around but small enough to not be the BS of a city. Oh, and the entire San Juan range is within a short drive and Utah is within a little more.

The downside of CO is the “wrong” CA people are moving here and turning purple to blue, our taxes will be increasing over time as well (though it seems to be a nationwide issue).
Hey that's great news, I happy some of them are leaving CA. I am a native of CA and seen it goooooooooooooooo downhill. We just can't keep providing all these so called free programs. And Bernie wants free college for everyone, I think that's great. All we need to do this is get Professor's to teach for free and get universities to not charge for housing, classes, and meals, I am all for it. 😄

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
Hey that's great news, I happy some of them are leaving CA. I am a native of CA and seen it goooooooooooooooo downhill. We just can't keep providing all these so called free programs. And Bernie wants free college for everyone, I think that's great. All we need to do this is get Professor's to teach for free and get universities to not charge for housing, classes, and meals, I am all for it. 😄

Sadly once the vacuum of power has been filled, it never empties. It’s ironic, a large number leave for above reasons... and then vote for the same stuff elsewhere assuming it’ll be different.

🤯🤯

Reactions: strumble8