To be young and online

I have been experiencing an incredible amount of intolerance from younger people in my city to the point of it being very scary. I think the internet echo-chambers are going to be very interesting as these young people take over power. No tolerance. Very much like an old Soviet Union feel to them, yet they feel they are right and everyone else is wrong. Hopefully they will grow up some day and realize the world is much larger than their echo-chamber.

I grew up in the 80's and would not want to have to grow in today's day and age!!!!!
Amen! I've been saying the same when these topics come up. I'm sure just a part of getting older like generations before me saying the same about my 80's hair, white Nikes, levis and OP t-shirts when I was in high school.

That's why I decided to not have children. When I got together with my wife I told her I would raise her son like he was mine but I did not want anymore children, so if she was looking to expand her family she should move on. We've been together for 9 years now and her son, my step-son is going to college in the fall. He's a good a kid only because I got to him and raised him old school from the time he was 9 years old. I still worry about what he will face in this world of ours.

Reactions: homerjaguar
I really feel, even though I have worked in the Information Technology field for over 25 years as a Network/Systems Engineer, that Technology has been the down fall of society!!!

Reactions: Ericict
I really feel, even though I have worked in the Information Technology field for over 25 years as a Network/Systems Engineer, that Technology has been the down fall of society!!!
Nah, the technology itself it's great. The problem is that we haven't developed culturally at nearly the same pace as we have technologically. We're still petty, tribalistic creatures that care more about me and mine than the good of the whole, so access to more information turns into us building echo chambers that reinforce our desired beliefs and machine power is used for short term comfort and power at the expense of long term instability and destruction.

Marketing in the 90s must have been a riot.

I'll guess that ad was early 90s and those are rich kids in California.

I hate to break it to you, but those were the 80s. I resembled that photo once.

I'm going to call that portable computer a Toshiba 1100, or possibly a 1200. If it was new at the time, that would date the ad to 1985-1987.

Also, that cell phone isn't tiny, you just can't see the ammo box sized brick at the other end of the cord. :D

The internet changed things. It was hard to find other fish people back then in the small town I grew up in. I remember spending lots of time at the park. Just me and my fish.

You had a fish? I had an imaginary dog named Plugs.🤣🤣🤣

I have been experiencing an incredible amount of intolerance from younger people in my city to the point of it being very scary. I think the internet echo-chambers are going to be very interesting as these young people take over power. No tolerance. Very much like an old Soviet Union feel to them, yet they feel they are right and everyone else is wrong. Hopefully they will grow up some day and realize the world is much larger than their echo-chamber.

I share your sentiments which is why I am a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment. Today's intolerance, by the indoctrinated young, against anyone who does not agree with their ideology is chillingly like failed regimes of the past. These regimes used descriptive phrases like 'social justice' and 'the collective' to justify brutal tactics to oppress those the regime saw as undesirable. Unlike a disarmed populace which were easily brutalized many of us are prepared for any eventuality.

View attachment 104566

Here’s what’s wrong with kids- their parents . Some of that is stupidity and some is because of broken homes.

Children are taught to accept all kinds of crap , they aren’t taught manners and respect for adults , how to dress , how to act , how to handle money , how to work and how to treat a job. There is no respect for God and country. And these rotten kids feed off or infect each other.

The aren’t taught responsibility.

Sadly , very sadly , they aren’t taught how to survive. This is failure , pure and simple.

When I was young , any dad in the street could beat your butt, you said sir and mam, never backtalked if you were smart and did what you were told.

Here’s what’s wrong with kids- their parents . Some of that is stupidity and some is because of broken homes.

Children are taught to accept all kinds of crap , they aren’t taught manners and respect for adults , how to dress , how to act , how to handle money , how to work and how to treat a job. There is no respect for God and country. And these rotten kids feed off or infect each other.

The aren’t taught responsibility.

Sadly , very sadly , they aren’t taught how to survive. This is failure , pure and simple.

When I was young , any dad in the street could beat your butt, you said sir and mam, never backtalked if you were smart and did what you were told.

Some people are just so stupid that they should not be allowed to reproduce!

Reactions: homerjaguar
Nah, the technology itself it's great. The problem is that we haven't developed culturally at nearly the same pace as we have technologically. We're still petty, tribalistic creatures that care more about me and mine than the good of the whole, so access to more information turns into us building echo chambers that reinforce our desired beliefs and machine power is used for short term comfort and power at the expense of long term instability and destruction.
Very well stated.

When I was young I had my nose buried in a book. A what? Now I’m old and on line. Things change, even old farts like me.