To clutch or not to clutch

macleanflood

I break sh!t
Supporting Member
97 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

AC clutch is chirping. Squeals when switched on.

UAC CL4691c is a clutch kit for the compressor...looks to be around $70 and nobody on the face of the earth appears to have one.

Option 2 - Amazon has the entire compressor for $150 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CFQQA7O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Bonus if and when the compressor dies or is dead I already have the part I probably should have done originally.

Option 3 - junkyard. Grab a compressor and pull the clutch.

Just had the system charged... trying not to do that again.

-Mac

I did the clutch, it was a bitch. Seized on there like crazy, took me like 5 hours.

On the bright side I didn’t have to discharge the compressor and it’s been working fine for a couple of years now.

Reactions: macleanflood
Is it a Sanden compressor?

Yes!

IMG20221220145527.jpg

-Mac

You can order a clutch kit directly from Sanden. I replaced the clutch on my 92 R-12 unit and the compressor is still going at around 300k mi.

The Sanden website is a PITA, however.

I believe this is the correct one for yours. However, go put in your vehicle info and it will tell you what compressor and will link you to the info for it. Then note the clutch kit P/N and take that and put it it the search menu on the front page.

1671577782582.png

Reactions: macleanflood
Option #3 is not an option IMO. I just paid my mechanic $420 to replace everything on my wife's WJ. Lifetime warranty too.

Evap and condenser core too? That’s suspiciously low for that job, assuming it’s anywhere near the same level of pain that it is on the TJ’s

Evap and condenser core too? That’s suspiciously low for that job, assuming it’s anywhere near the same level of pain that it is on the TJ’s

Yes. He works alone with little overhead and used to work at a large local dealership. He's normally backed up for weeks, but always does my work within days because I own 4 cars and deliver mail/newspapers and magazines. He's getting rich off my business.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
I did the clutch, it was a bitch. Seized on there like crazy, took me like 5 hours.

On the bright side I didn’t have to discharge the compressor and it’s been working fine for a couple of years now.

Did you use a puller to get the clutch off?

Ordered a clutch from Sandens website...that site is a PIA...took your word on the part cause I couldn't figure it out.

What puller should I use? Three jaw gear puller or a guillotine style bearing puller?

-Mac

Ordered a clutch from Sandens website...that site is a PIA...took your word on the part cause I couldn't figure it out.

What puller should I use? Three jaw gear puller or a guillotine style bearing puller?

-Mac

There are many types of clutches for the sanden compressor, it is sort of a universal compressor. Send me a link of the part you ordered. Some use a bolt bigger than the hold down bolt others use a three bolt puller like a steering wheel puller some use a threaded hub type puller. Send the link I’ll check it out or I’ll look at my 06 tomorrow.

There are many types of clutches for the sanden compressor, it is sort of a universal compressor. Send me a link of the part you ordered. Some use a bolt bigger than the hold down bolt others use a three bolt puller like a steering wheel puller some use a threaded hub type puller. Send the link I’ll check it out or I’ll look at my 06 tomorrow.

It looks like this kit would do the job.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078H29XDJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I ordered the one mentioned above and then immediately emailed their customer service team the order number, pictures, model numbers etc so they can verify I bought the right clutch.

-Mac

The 06 has a different syle clutch.

I remembered why I used this puller for the pulley. With it being flat, it cleared the radiator. Your 97 appears to be mounted in the same location.

1671583573180-png.385761