To Lift or Not Lift

Photocycler

Just picked up a 04 which had some 31” BFGs on 15” procomp wheels. I really like the look but of course want to run a bigger more aggressive tire.

I mainly cruise around town, drive out to the mountain from the city and plan to do some light off-roading.

Am I going to regret getting a lift with it ending up being router drive, more tipsy on highways, more uncomfortable ride?

7B9D9608-EE13-4C64-9C22-3A7CBD723196.jpeg

Just picked up a 04 which had some 31” BFGs on 15” procomp wheels. I really like the look but of course want to run a bigger more aggressive tire.

I mainly cruise around town, drive out to the mountain from the city and plan to do some light off-roading.

Am I going to regret getting a lift with it ending up being router drive, more tipsy on highways, more uncomfortable ride?

View attachment 270971

Very nice TJ BTW!

Reactions: John Cooper and J R

Congrats on a great looking TJ! They are fun to own, drive and work on. I suggest you drive it as is for a while. It looks nice already. Get to know it. Maintain it. After a bit, you will have a better idea what you want. A stock TJ is quite capable. Mods like lifts and larger tires are fun and can enhance what it will do but can also lead to problems with drivability which can be frustrating and expensive to correct. I’m not saying don’t change it, just take your time and do your research.

View attachment 270971
The truth is that if you do everything right when lifting it, you can make it ride better than stock. I have had 3 TJ’s at the same time, one stock Rubicon, one on 2.5” of lift then 3.75”, and one on 5.25” and the biggest lifted one rides the best. It’s about how you build it.

If I had 31’s like you, I’d lift it 1-2”, get proper shocks, cycle the suspension for bumpstop, and call it a day.

If I were planning on 33’s. I’d do a lot more.

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback. I think I’m feeling good about driving it as is for a bit.

I do like the idea of better shocks and the shock spacers to give it a small 1-2” lift. Is that better than a body a lift?

Please tell me more? Are you suggesting a full on lift?
See @TheBoogieman post above. You can do it several ways.1-2” suspension lift only or 1.25” body lift only or a combo. I was suggesting that if you stay with 31’s you do either a small suspension lift or a small body lift. Either will be better than no lift. A body lift is easier, but your springs and shocks may be tired, so it’s your call.

1-2” 31’s
2-3” 32’s
3-4.25” 33’s
5” 35’s

Reactions: TheBoogieman