To Line X or Not?

Well, all I know is that any TJ I've seen that has had bed-liner sprayed down on the inside of it (including Line X, Rhino Liner, etc.) has looked terrible usually in under a year. Maybe there's some sort of new technology out there I'm not aware of, but I still don't see the point of it as far as Jeeps go.

But hey... maybe this is enough to convince @mrblaine to start applying Line-X to the interiors of all the TJs he builds :ROFLMAO:

Sorry... I couldn't resist ;)
My guess is that a TJ/LJ interior is a LOT harder to clean out than a pickup truck bed. There's typically a lot more "stuff" and having to take it all out before you clean it or avoid it (i.e. seats) when pressure washing is a pain in the butt.

Maybe there's some sort of new technology out there I'm not aware of, but I still don't see the point of it as far as Jeeps go.
Point? Some people treat the inside floor of their Jeeps similar to pickup truck beds.
It cts as a sound barrier and heat barrier. Sure there are products that solve that more directly, but its still another pro to the spray ins.
Who’s to say you cant put carpet on top of the spray ins once sprayed in the Jeep’s floor space?
I’m just advocating for not writting it off just because you've seen them dirtier than they were when brand new or have failed to do the research as to what problem they solve for some Jeep owners.
Point being, who's to say they cant be cleaned to look close to as new as possible?

You're well aware of the fact that Jeep owners take their Jeeps through deep water crossings, mud packed trails, and so on. Its one of the better ways to insure rust prevention on floors.

Yea maybe modern times are passing you by a bit. Not all Line X (just an example) finishes are rough. Two different finishes from line-x (just as example).

Smooth, rough.
0D0069A5-0F54-4F13-8B07-6BB3A4F061A9.jpeg
EB08D242-0CA6-459C-9A5B-C86D9C4FFA54.jpeg

Reactions: Artemis
My guess is that a TJ/LJ interior is a LOT harder to clean out than a pickup truck bed. There's typically a lot more "stuff" and having to take it all out before you clean it or avoid it (i.e. seats) when pressure washing is a pain in the butt.
Lot is subjective. Is there more investment (time, manual labor) ? Sure. It requires more work. Time is precious and very valuable
Soak, agitate, and rinse. You dont HAVE to have pressure.

It’s ironic, those that complain the spray in bed liner doesnt maintain the “day 1 or even week 1” look, never say shit or maybe never notice their shit exterior body paint that doesnt even closely resemble new paint.

You couldn't pay me to Line-X anything. That shit looks dirty, disgusting, and nasty after a year (if that).

And have fun cleaning that porous surface. No idea how Line-X became a thing, but it's a "thing" I wish would go away :ROFLMAO:
Line-x is a lot different than that. Other brands like Rhinoliner & Herculiner are super abrasive, look dull & ugly.

I had the swimstep on my wake boat sprayed with Line-X with no grit. It turned out looking like orange peel paint. The perfect surface to apply a surf deck pad on. It's almost 9 yrs old now & still looks great, even with all the board fins, docks & whatever hitting it.

My old YJ was sprayed with Raptorliner in a blue tint. It looked great. But still chipped whenever I hit a tree limb or rock or whatever. And matching the color was tough to do.

37137309616_83be3c6d89_o.jpg

24263041848_25423aa18e_o.jpg

$6500 seems way too much and just wrong. I can see $600 for the body minus the tub. Get a breakdown of the quote and see where the high charges are. Line-X, truck bed-liner can be a pain. The TJ I recently acquired was done with liner inside and out. My biggest issue, is that the PO I bought the vehicle from does not know what material was used. Mequiar's back to black keeps it "shiny" and clean without loosing that "texture".

I am still undecided on weather or not I will keep the body as is, but the interior is definitely staying that way. It will be a PITA to take the liner off the body if I do decide to go back to the original Green the Jeep was painted with at the factory.

Old geezer here, also weighing in AGAINST virtually ALL of these products! Unless you're ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY gonna keep the vehicle FOREVER, don't do it! Some cheesedick sprayed the inside of my (former) '69 Bronco bed & interior with same - it is close to IMPOSSIBLE to remove once it's in! You can't sandblast it off (the media "bounces" off of it), you can't chemically remove it EASILY without also scraping it with a LOT of elbow grease, a respirator to protect against whatever caustic chemical you're using with your scrapers...

Go ahead and get a quote to REMOVE this shit should you change your mind later; THAT # may give you cause to pause. I LOVED that Bronco, but after living with that liner for a year, it was the SOLE reason I sold the vehicle; then again, I think tattoos ain't such a great idea neither...

"Okay Pops, you'd better get on home - your soup's getting cold!" :ROFLMAO:

I went with Herculiner on the interior of mine whole kit cost less than $100. All you need is some time to strip the car down and do all the prep. Also make sure your garage is well ventilated if you go that route because the fumes are STRONG.

You couldn't pay me to Line-X anything. That shit looks dirty, disgusting, and nasty after a year (if that).

And have fun cleaning that porous surface. No idea how Line-X became a thing, but it's a "thing" I wish would go away :ROFLMAO:
I totally agree with you on this one, plus I know lots of guys do this ti the inside of the jeep also. No way I am pulling my carpet out, my floor get to hot as it is.

Reactions: Chris
I went with Herculiner on the interior of mine whole kit cost less than $100. All you need is some time to strip the car down and do all the prep. Also make sure your garage is well ventilated if you go that route because the fumes are STRONG.

I couldn't help but notice your avatar. Delaware lacrosse?

Yes that's right. Roll Hens!

I thought so! Pretty sure that John Grant Jr. played there. I played against his father a LONG time ago; 2 of the all time greats ... them not me!. :) I've been involved since the early '60s and would have been coaching (box) this weekend had it not been for the virus. I think our season will be cancelled. btw - PCO6 stands for the last team I played for and my sweater number.

I thought so! Pretty sure that John Grant Jr. played there. I played against his father a LONG time ago; 2 of the all time greats ... them not me!. :) I've been involved since the early '60s and would have been coaching (box) this weekend had it not been for the virus. I think our season will be cancelled. btw - PCO6 stands for the last team I played for and my sweater number.

You're correct he did. He's a great guy I've met him a few times over the years when I was in school, and has done so much for the game. That's awesome that you played and coach! I worked with the Yale Men's lacrosse team up until the NCAA cancelled the season. Its a shame, but definitely more important to keep everyone safe for the time being... and it gave me time to finally put in some much needed work into my jeep after all these years. :LOL:

People seem to mix all "spray liners" together a lot of the time. Not saying anyone is doing that here but Line-X, Rhino and Speedliner are all very good, professional urethane-based products and justifiably priced so compared with do-it-yourself Herculiner type products that don't come close to the protection and are more of a cosmetic application in my opinion. I agree, $6,500 is a crazy estimate for even a Jeep inside and out I think in this case.

I do think there is a purpose for these spray liners but I also cringe a bit when I see them sprayed all over a vehicle. If the surfaces are not prepped properly, it will turn to crap quick, peel and trap water underneath and you know what comes next. You have to scuff the painted surface pretty good before applying the customary primer and then liner so you're basically losing the protection of the paint underneath.