Today is the day!

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
My TJ is now paid off and I own it outright. :)

Can't believe it's been 5 years almost (I paid it off 4 payments early) since my brother and I flew down to Dallas to buy it and drive it home on Spring Break.

Pic my brother took of me when we picked it up.
52719247356_96d0751a0b_o.jpg

Congrats, definitely a great feeling to pay something off (especially when it's something you don't have to trade in right away for another payment).

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
My TJ is now paid off and I own it outright. :)

Can't believe it's been 5 years almost (I paid it off 4 payments early) since my brother and I flew down to Dallas to buy it and drive it home on Spring Break.

Pic my brother took of me when we picked it up.
View attachment 404007

Well done Sir. Congratulations!!

If your TJ is in good shape I don't see why it couldn't last you decades. Mine certainly will, but that's easy at 1-2,000 miles a year.

I commute about 55mi each way for work via Interstate. I25 has an 80mph speed limit - and the TJ just doesn't like going that fast and isn't a great vehicle for those kind of trips. Granted, I have my M3 for that trip that I use almost exclusively, but if the weather was a little iffy, I'd prefer to take the Jeep.

And, let's be honest, the TJ is a great off-road vehicle and for bumming around town, but for the kind of driving I do, and the added amenities and features of a modern vehicle, a new Jeep would be a nice to have.

Plus, the TJ isn't getting any younger and parts are already getting difficult to find. I'm not as techno-phobic as most on here are, so I don't mind touchscreens, power-whatevers, etc.

I may end up getting on in the future, but for now, it's nice to have this paid off.

I commute about 55mi each way for work via Interstate. I25 has an 80mph speed limit - and the TJ just doesn't like going that fast and isn't a great vehicle for those kind of trips. Granted, I have my M3 for that trip that I use almost exclusively, but if the weather was a little iffy, I'd prefer to take the Jeep.

And, let's be honest, the TJ is a great off-road vehicle and for bumming around town, but for the kind of driving I do, and the added amenities and features of a modern vehicle, a new Jeep would be a nice to have.

Plus, the TJ isn't getting any younger and parts are already getting difficult to find. I'm not as techno-phobic as most on here are, so I don't mind touchscreens, power-whatevers, etc.

I may end up getting on in the future, but for now, it's nice to have this paid off.

Understandable.

What don't you like about the TJ at 80mph? I am not sure if you are automatic or manual and what size tires you are running but I took my LJ on 33's, on a trip doing 80+ this past fall and was actually pleasantly surprised. The brakes are by far the worst part, but I plan to address that. I have added a touchscreen radio with carplay and a subwoofer. I can honestly say it does not ride much worse at all than my brother's 2 door JL or is it really lacking that many features. Plus, having an appreciating asset instead of a depreciating asset is definitely nice.

So essentially you may be able to "keep making your payments" on modifications that will let you enjoy your jeep more. You may not be blown away with how much better a new one rides/drives/features, for many multiples more money.

Understandable.

What don't you like about the TJ at 80mph? I am not sure if you are automatic or manual and what size tires you are running but I took my LJ on 33's, on a trip doing 80+ this past fall and was actually pleasantly surprised. The brakes are by far the worst part, but I plan to address that. I have added a touchscreen radio with carplay and a subwoofer. I can honestly say it does not ride much worse at all than my brother's 2 door JL or is it really lacking that many features. Plus, having an appreciating asset instead of a depreciating asset is definitely nice.

So essentially you may be able to "keep making your payments" on modifications that will let you enjoy your jeep more. You may not be blown away with how much better a new one rides/drives/features, for many multiples more money.

It's an automatic on stock size tires, BFG KO2s.

The I6/transmission just doesn't like the hills/altitude and I can see the gas gauge move when I drive it that fast. I just drive 70 instead of 80.

Since I'm at almost a mile up, I've really been looking at the turbo 2.0 the new Jeeps have.

Reactions: Shank
It's an automatic on stock size tires, BFG KO2s.

The I6/transmission just doesn't like the hills/altitude and I can see the gas gauge move when I drive it that fast. I just drive 70 instead of 80.

Since I'm at almost a mile up, I've really been looking at the turbo 2.0 the new Jeeps have.

That I can understand. Auto and elevation, I could see it not loving that.

As fine as I am with the 4.0, I will be swapping at some point.

Just keep putting the TJ payments into another account to lessen the hurt when you go for the new vehicle. I don't think these interest rates are coming down anytime soon.

Reactions: Shank
It's nice to own two vehicles free and clear. :)

That right there is a wise financial decision! New cars are nice, but they're not worth the financial hit, especially when financed.

We are getting to the point where the house is almost paid off. Other than the perpetual property taxes that is.

We drive our cars way longer than the average person in the US. Normally 10-15 years depending on the need. So I haven't made a car payment in 20 years. By the time we need one, we just pay for it or take out a home equity loan and pay it off within the year if we feel we need to stay out of the savings account for some reason.

We've done this since the first POS cars we owned. Now they aren't POSs anymore. It's great not to have to worry about it. I see stuff for sale all the time that people lose a job and can't make the payments on anymore.

I've been trying to talk my wife into a different car for the last couple of years, but she's worse than I am about buying something big.

Reactions: Squatch
We are getting to the point where the house is almost paid off. Other than the perpetual property taxes that is.

We drive our cars way longer than the average person in the US. Normally 10-15 years depending on the need. So I haven't made a car payment in 20 years. By the time we need one, we just pay for it or take out a home equity loan and pay it off within the year if we feel we need to stay out of the savings account for some reason.

We've done this since the first POS cars we owned. Now they aren't POSs anymore. It's great not to have to worry about it. I see stuff for sale all the time that people lose a job and can't make the payments on anymore.

I've been trying to talk my wife into a different car for the last couple of years, but she's worse than I am about buying something big.

This is all very Dave Ramseyan, and makes perfect sense to me. I do the same thing with cars, I start out with a new econo-cruiser then keep them 10 years. Currently I'm on year 9 with my base-model Crosstrek, paid 21k for it in 2014 & if I dump it at the 10 year mark, probably get what, $7500+/- for it, that brings the total cost to $13,500, pro-rated over 10 years is $1,350/year for the functional equivalent of a $112.50 monthly car payment. Nothing other than general maintenance to speak of, gas & insurance, but you get those with any car. I never understood the always have a new car with giant payment crowd, always churning, turning them in, keeping those huge payments alive perpetually... to each his own but damn, what a waste of hard earned money in my view for a depreciating pile of shit sitting outside in your driveway.

Considering all the fuckery going on in the world right now, particularly as related to the auto industry, phony ass 'supply chain issues', & the green insanity, barring some sudden downturn mechanically with this thing I'm going past 10 years, in fact I may push it as far as I can push it for that matter while waiting to see how all this other bullshit shakes out.

Plus there I nothing more "green" then using something longer rather than replacing it with new.

no doubt, and in my case I've been rolling that same $7,500 bucks over & over again for the past few decades. I've always convinced myself that 10 years was the sweet spot for daily drivers, old enough to suck all the truly trouble free miles out of them while new enough to grab a decent chunk of dough to roll along to the next. Also always seemed after 10 years my ass would need a change of scenery. It's been a pretty good run thus far with this formula, haven't had to dump any money into my cars until the TJ appeared on the scene that is :ROFLMAO:

We'll see how my new experiment works, I'd feel better about it if it were an Accord but whatever...