Tomtaylz build and adventures

Tom here's a build update for you. I'll let you explain why. View attachment 203400
On advice from internet experts. I learned you can rotate the clutch on a winch. We are going to relocate the solenoid under the hood for easier access in the closed bumper, but rotating the clutch to the front of the winch allows for easy access through the bumper access holes

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
I spent two wet cold and windy days camping at Mt Diablo. The tent did well keeping me warm and dry, and kept out what looks like a curious raccoon who climbed the ladder trying to get in my canopy.

Sounds like early next year they’ll be selling walls to my awning. This would be a big win as hopefully I can heat it and have a pleasant space to hang out and cook when the weather takes a turn for the worst.

I need to find ways to optimize my gear a bit more. I want to get a 11# propane tank for above heating needs as well as cooking and maybe getting a propane fire pit with fire bans being more and more common.

Im considering a few options, or a combination:

1. could move water to this https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/water-solutions/front-runner-footwell-water-tank.html

seems like a logical spot, with a good place to hold a fair amount of weight

2. Get a size smaller fridge, i'd loose dual zone but they have one that makes ice cubes.

3. probably eventually i'd get a roof rack over the cab, I was thinking putting rotopax up there when I need to carry extra fuel but don't want to put too much

4. I could get something like this for my spare currently in the bed https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-hitch-carrier-multi-fit

I recognize it’s a lot of weight in a bad spot, and a swig out comes with its own disadvantages, but it’d sure give me a lot of space from the bed. There’s also high clearance rear bumpers which would give me better angles too but weigh maybe more.

The sun came out just as I was packing up

81E73944-9BC8-4514-AFCE-258C4500C8CB.jpeg
5FB69C07-D12F-45C8-9893-E09EC3C039F1.jpeg
5972733F-9E2E-48C2-9F06-D3E678E92116.jpeg

I spent two wet cold and windy days camping at Mt Diablo. The tent did well keeping me warm and dry, and kept out what looks like a curious raccoon who climbed the ladder trying to get in my canopy.

Sounds like early next year they’ll be selling walls to my awning. This would be a big win as hopefully I can heat it and have a pleasant space to hang out and cook when the weather takes a turn for the worst.

I need to find ways to optimize my gear a bit more. I want to get a 11# propane tank for above heating needs as well as cooking and maybe getting a propane fire pit with fire bans being more and more common.

Im considering a few options, or a combination:

1. could move water to this https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/water-solutions/front-runner-footwell-water-tank.html

seems like a logical spot, with a good place to hold a fair amount of weight

2. Get a size smaller fridge, i'd loose dual zone but they have one that makes ice cubes.

3. probably eventually i'd get a roof rack over the cab, I was thinking putting rotopax up there when I need to carry extra fuel but don't want to put too much

4. I could get something like this for my spare currently in the bed https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-hitch-carrier-multi-fit

I recognize it’s a lot of weight in a bad spot, and a swig out comes with its own disadvantages, but it’d sure give me a lot of space from the bed. There’s also high clearance rear bumpers which would give me better angles too but weigh maybe more.

The sun came out just as I was packing up

View attachment 204631View attachment 204633View attachment 204634

Why the recovery boards under the wheels?

We love our propane fire pit. It’s awesome enough I leave the chainsaw, maul and wood at home. Huge space savings.

Reactions: lowranger
We love our propane fire pit. It’s awesome enough I leave the chainsaw, maul and wood at home. Huge space savings.
Which one do you have? i’m still looking at options but I went camping even in june and there was fire restrictions.

To level it out ?
Like picking your tent site. You only pop a tent ⛺️on uneven ground once

Yeah dead on, they sell blocks for rvs but I own and carry the maxtrax already so I figure two birds.

If you decide to do the tire carrier, you could do a tank mount there.
Yeah that would definitely be a pro, I think I need to figure out what else I need to carry (still need to figure out showers for long trips) and spend some time really designing it out. I’m close and the truck functions well it’s just these last few optimizations.

Reactions: Indy
I used to carry a Quikfire portable propane fire pit and a 11# propane tank on long trips in my Xterra. I haven't used it in the jeep due to space constraints for a propane tank, but after our last fire season I may re-address the situation.

I chose the Quikfire because it is small, light, and uses less propane than most other portable propane campfires. It fits into a 15x15x5 rectangular zipper bag with room to spare. I carry a small bag of lava rock to pour in so the flames look a bit more like a campfire.

The price has increased a bit since I purchased mine, but there are coupon codes from time to time. The owner of the company acquired it from the original inventor. He seems to be a nice guy who offers good customer service. If I remember correctly, his "day job" is in the fire suppression business.

https://quikfire.com/

Maybe an on board shower like @Plumber1 has, that would be the best way to go. Plumb it in to the footwell tank.
The difference with mine is you need a water source such as a stream or lake, then you have an unlimited shower time. Also I don't have to carry water the jeep that is already running low on space. This works great for me as I don't really do much desert travels. Most of trips are in the Sierras where we have streams almost everywhere, but the water temp. is a bit COLD burrrr.

But you could also pull water from a 5 gallon container and I think I would work the same.

The difference with mine is you need a water source such as a stream or lake, then you have an unlimited shower time. Also I don't have to carry water the jeep that is already running low on space. This works great for me as I don't really do much desert travels. Most of trips are in the Sierras where we have streams almost everywhere, but the water temp. is a bit COLD burrrr.

But you could also pull water from a 5 gallon container and I think I would work the same.

What do you use? I was looking into this system which looks interesting, similar to what @DrDmoney posted above.
https://www.joolca.com/products/hottap-v2-essentials-kit-notify-me?product=HOTTAP-Outing-Kit

@tomtaylz

On the subject of propane tanks, you do not necessarily need to find an arrangement for stowing your tank outside your camper shell in the open air.

I found an old post of mine on the subject in another forum. There is a link to the U.S. and Canada standards for carrying propane tanks in vehicles. I carried my 11# tank inside my Xterra even on hot summer days in full compliance with those standards.

Here is the link:

https://www.thenewx.org/threads/propane-tank-inside-outside-xterra.204250/#post-3242194

@tomtaylz

On the subject of propane tanks, you do not necessarily need to find an arrangement for stowing your tank outside your camper shell in the open air.

I found an old post of mine on the subject in another forum. There is a link to the U.S. and Canada standards for carrying propane tanks in vehicles. I carried my 11# tank inside my Xterra even on hot summer days in full compliance with those standards.

Here is the link:

https://www.thenewx.org/threads/propane-tank-inside-outside-xterra.204250/#post-3242194
Thanks that’s great! I was wondering about inside, either way probably just need to figure out where in my bed the big tank goes but if I did move the spare outside and got a slightly smaller fridge i’d be swimming in space.