Tomtaylz build and adventures

I have a heat exchnager
What do you use? I was looking into this system which looks interesting, similar to what @DrDmoney posted above.
https://www.joolca.com/products/hottap-v2-essentials-kit-notify-me?product=HOTTAP-Outing-Kit
I use a Plate Heat Exchanger that I got from Duad Diesel https://www.dudadiesel.com/heat_exchangers.php and mounted it under my battery. Then it just a mater of cutting the hose going to the heater core and connecting hoses. If you decide to go this way let me know and I can give you some extra info

heat-exchanger-m100-6 (1).jpg

IMG_5372.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

stainless_steel_aisi_316_cover_plates_copper_brazed_strong_style_color_b82220_flat_plate_heat_...jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

I need to find ways to optimize my gear a bit more. I want to get a 11# propane tank for above heating needs as well as cooking and maybe getting a propane fire pit with fire bans being more and more common.

Im considering a few options, or a combination:

1. could move water to this https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/water-solutions/front-runner-footwell-water-tank.html

seems like a logical spot, with a good place to hold a fair amount of weight

2. Get a size smaller fridge, i'd loose dual zone but they have one that makes ice cubes.

3. probably eventually i'd get a roof rack over the cab, I was thinking putting rotopax up there when I need to carry extra fuel but don't want to put too much

4. I could get something like this for my spare currently in the bed https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-hitch-carrier-multi-fit

I recognize it’s a lot of weight in a bad spot, and a swig out comes with its own disadvantages, but it’d sure give me a lot of space from the bed. There’s also high clearance rear bumpers which would give me better angles too but weigh maybe more.

I’m leaning towards possibly doing all four of these. I’m looking at the National Luna fridges around 55L. I need to take some measurements but this could be a decent consideration from a brand known for quality. I’m not entirely sure as, besides a recall on the dometics if you have both plugs in at the same time (which is small but a bit frustrating at spots with power) , the fridge works pretty well. It is just large.

For bumpers i’m leaning towards this with the swing out. https://www.relentlessfabrication.c...c/products/2017-current-chevy-zr2-rear-bumper

DC377CA2-DECF-4F72-A425-3C57FCC3EDDA.png

It’ll give be a bit better departure and some armor on the back, but not a full high clearance which is nearly 40lbs more and involves cutting the bed side. It also gives some better recovery spots and lights behind. With the rigd I wouldn’t get those, and only being about 30lbs heavier than the rigd that seems like a decent trade off.

I probably will try the footwell water storage in the future. seems a good option for when showers become a wanted item, although in bad weather id likely want a collapsible water jug so I can keep water in the dry. I’d also maybe need to consider a pump or something for ease. It looks like the shower I linked above has a 12v plug.

I would think twice about a swing-away carrier on a pick up. You might learn to hate it, especially if you intend to use your truck as a truck around town..

It’s something I am considering closely. I’m lucky in that my truck is neither a daily driver, nor do I need a truck for anything as I live in an apartment.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Relentless is good quality.

I vote for expedition one, they have a superior latch design.
Only issue I see with their design is they don’t actually relocate the hitch from what I can see so I don’t think you’d gain any clearance unfortunately

I’m also not sure i’m sold on dual swing arms that it appears they offer. I get how it can be handy but around camp, especially with my awning, I could see the drivers side one getting in the way

Only issue I see with their design is they don’t actually relocate the hitch from what I can see so I don’t think you’d gain any clearance unfortunately

I guess it really depends on your needs. If your dragging the hitch, that might prove to look for a relocation. But if you don’t, and down the road want to move to a trailer or find the need to tow, I’d leave the factory hitch in place.

I tow a off-road trailer so that part was important for me. Good luck!👍

Installed the winch last night. We relocated the control pack to under the hood, as in the enclosed bumper there was no way to access it. AEV sold a nice kit so it looks pretty clean

AFA207EF-17A0-4E65-95DC-83CFB66C9593.jpeg

Next I have a compressor mount for my dual arb to install under the coolant reservoir, and then eventually a mount for my spod by the window washer reservoir and cleaning up the wiring. Should be super clean when everything is done with everything having it’s place.

I also decided to switch out the fridge. Besides the size I had several gripes with it like the latches. But for me how they handled a recall was very shitty https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/dometic-cfx3-recall-info-thread.217315/

I’m going to be getting in a National Luna 52. Luckily I can still return the fridge.

This is exactly how *not* to handle a recall and piss people off. Wow.
Yeah these fridges are something I plan on keeping a long time. It’s not my use case right now but I can’t guarantee some time in the next 5-10 years I won’t want to have both those ports plugged in. Every other fridge you can keep both plugged in and it is a safety risk in its current state, not to mention that it’s bad that they are not sticking by their product.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s pretty shitty. I don’t have a high end fridge. It’s a indel but it’s been plugged in for 3 years now. Transferred from the home to the truck. Many miles and we love it.

I’d go dual zone but this 40 qt is GREAT for our family of five for 7 day trips. So a 60 qt. Dual zone....perfect for my use.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Yeah, that’s pretty shitty. I don’t have a high end fridge. It’s a indel but it’s been plugged in for 3 years now. Transferred from the home to the truck. Many miles and we love it.

I’d go dual zone but this 40 qt is GREAT for our family of five for 7 day trips. So a 60 qt. Dual zone....perfect for my use.
I didn’t find myself using dual zone much, running a freezer the one time I tried just took an obscene amount of power so I think for me a single compartment better suited my needs. 52 is a fair downsize from 75 but I think it’ll do me just fine.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I didn’t find myself using dual zone much, running a freezer the one time I tried just took an obscene amount of power so I think for me a single compartment better suited my needs. 52 is a fair downsize from 75 but I think it’ll do me just fine.

I’m sure. I love my ice.

Reactions: Apparition
National Luna came real quick, two day free shipping from Equipt Outfitters and it was packaged really well. I returned the dometic. The lunas DC cable came with what I believe is called a hella plug. I switched it out to an anderson, matching the other side which plays more nicely with my goal zero and it’s running.

D5B5AB5B-C294-40AA-9021-ACFDBB30E562.jpeg

I also spent a fair amount of time cleaning up the wiring on the tent. I have cables from the tent itself, and from the solar, and due to just when I installed them they went to the different sides of the bed. I also had used a fair bit of black duct tape which actually held up well but maybe didn’t look the best.

I got some small tabs I could zip tie the cable to and put on the tent rails. I also kept the two cables together making everything a lot cleaner. I still use tape alone the canopy as I don’t want to drill to attach the wires.

F020751E-6F5B-45B3-BB13-5580D0C9D29F.jpeg

I don’t necessarily trust myself to do a clean wiring job, and I wanted a good foundation to add things to in the future, so I exported the job. I’m pretty pumped how things turned out. And the sPod system is really cool, I can control it from my phone which will be nice for the side camp lights when using the tent.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIxKErhjLGi/?igshid=5ccrcrwlhb0i
Only thing left to do is I need to relocate the air compressor input, it’s under the coolant tank right now but it should be easy enough to attach it to the side of the engine bay.