Too much distributor gear wear

ZazzelDazzel

Time for a new one or some life left?
Brand recommendations?

Also since folks like pics, and since I’m here, am I aligned correctly? yes I’m at TDC marks…
I might crank the engine two revs for a triple check.

Thanks for any info in advance or retard. (Distro pun intended)

IMG_2447.jpeg

IMG_2448.jpeg

at first i thought the shiny parts were just glare in the photo, but maybe those teeth are that worn? Can you take the pic from a side angle or something?

That is abnormal wear and it does cause issues. Look down in the hole you pulled it out of and see what kind of shape the gear on the cam is in.

Also, what weight oil are you running?

Reactions: ZazzelDazzel
Almost looks like that distributor was loose and walking around a bit.

I'd be worried about the cam...but technically aren't most distributor gears supposed to be less hard material so they supposedly don't wipe out the cam?

Dreading having to do mine on my 97. Running good atm...one of the few parts I haven't had to touch.

-Mac

at first i thought the shiny parts were just glare in the photo, but maybe those teeth are that worn? Can you take the pic from a side angle or something?

Due to the helical cut thats about the best angle I can get, its dizzying to look at from left to right 3rd and 4th gears show best wear. Seems right on the edge of allowable. Any suggestions for a good distributer to buy.

Was your hold down clamp in place when you pulled the distributor? I found mine was missing on my TJ which allowed a small amount of vertical play in my distributor which caused it to crack at the fork on the distributor body and caused my motor to die while driving. Had to find a new clamp on deadjeep.com

Due to the helical cut thats about the best angle I can get, its dizzying to look at from left to right 3rd and 4th gears show best wear. Seems right on the edge of allowable. Any suggestions for a good distributer to buy.

I have a duralast in mine, going strong after 2 years. Cue somebody telling me I'm extremely lucky. IDK, I only know what I know, and I know mine is working fine after a good amount of time & miles.

I put an Autoline in my 99. I only had it for another year before selling so I can't attest to it's longevity but it had good reviews and I liked that it was remanufactured in Canada rather than Mexico or China.

I put an Autoline in my 99. I only had it for another year before selling so I can't attest to it's longevity but it had good reviews and I liked that it was remanufactured in Canada rather than Mexico or China.

I have a duralast in mine, going strong after 2 years. Cue somebody telling me I'm extremely lucky. IDK, I only know what I know, and I know mine is working fine after a good amount of time & miles.

careful now you might send @Jerry Bransford to the ER !!!!! breathe, breathe Jerry think happy thoughts. :)

Almost looks like that distributor was loose and walking around a bit.

I'd be worried about the cam...but technically aren't most distributor gears supposed to be less hard material so they supposedly don't wipe out the cam?

Dreading having to do mine on my 97. Running good atm...one of the few parts I haven't had to touch.

-Mac

Yeah dreading looking into that hole of doom tomorrow in daylight. 🤞

thanks for the info
Was your hold down clamp in place when you pulled the distributor? I found mine was missing on my TJ which allowed a small amount of vertical play in my distributor which caused it to crack at the fork on the distributor body and caused my motor to die while driving. Had to find a new clamp on deadjeep.com

yes and breakaway tq was about 25 Ft Lbs (by feel) thanks for the inspection point might help others in diagnosis later on.

Reactions: GregBelleville