Too old to torque

True, that was the original discussion topic, but you were leading me down a different path of discovery by specifically responding to a line of questions I posed regarding extensions at the socket end:
View attachment 528087

So far, you have not changed my mind. The clicker type torque wrenches work the same no matter where your hand is on the handle because the outer tube is rigid, and no matter where you apply the force, the internal mechanism responds the same. And, applying a cheater bar carefully will give reliable torques. Carefully means don't let the bar mess up the adjustment mechanism and don't let the bar apply a concentrated load that bends or dents the outer tube.

THANK YOU! I'm not understanding this either.

Reactions: sab
Get you one of them Hobo Freight specials. Mine seems to get me within a few clickity clacks of the proper torque and they're relatively inexpensive.

On a side note, you got any pictures of that 40 year old Snap On sweetheart? I like seeing old tools.

Ill take a picture for you.

In addition to my regular torque wrenches I also have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ARM602-3-Digital-Adapter-Audible/dp/B004VYUKTC/?tag=wranglerorg-20 They also make a 1/2" drive one that goes to 250 ft/lb and a heavy duty one that goes to 750 ft/lb. I'm thinking of adding the 250 lb one to my collection, then you can use whatever breaker bar you want/need. It would also enable me to carry only my big breaker bar in my Superduty instead of that and a long torque wrench. The smaller Delco is great for inch lbs, and for checking on your manual torque wrenches.

True, that was the original discussion topic, but you were leading me down a different path of discovery by specifically responding to a line of questions I posed regarding extensions at the socket end:
View attachment 528087

So far, you have not changed my mind. The clicker type torque wrenches work the same no matter where your hand is on the handle because the outer tube is rigid, and no matter where you apply the force, the internal mechanism responds the same. And, applying a cheater bar carefully will give reliable torques. Carefully means don't let the bar mess up the adjustment mechanism and don't let the bar apply a concentrated load that bends or dents the outer tube.

I can prove it to you on the bench, I’ve done many different iterations of grip and grip locations, as well as using a mechanical loader. Even using the wrench in different angles with the handle horizontal vs vertical with the head horizontal has measurable effects on the use of a wrench. And outer tube is absolutely not rigid… due to this the cheater bar is not recommended unless it is designed for the model of wrench you are using and calibrated with that wrench (also why hand placement matters).

Prove me wrong… show me your repeatable, quantitative data with your calculated uncertainties. Show me how many quality inspections you have been involved in with torque, both as an auditor and auditee. Show me the data of your Inter-Lab Comparisons, as well competency comparisons. When you can prove what you are saying works without question, we will attempt to replicate your results to verify them.